Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

rasker

Members

Profile Views: 5*
Local Time: Jun 16 2010, 09:57 PM 20 posts (0.03 per day)

rasker doesn't have a personal statement currently.

Personal Photo
Personal Info
Contact Information

rasker
Age Unknown
Male
London, UK
Birthday Unknown
AIM No Information
Yahoo No Information
ICQ No Information
MSN No Information
Contact Send Message
Contact Private

Topics
Files E2T
Comments
Friends
My Content
15 Jan 2009
Read Topic
Dual boot guide with Fedora and XP
EDIT by jaclaz:
Following posts were splitted from the grub4dos guide sticky:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5187

rasker published a nice guide for double booting XP and Fedora with grub4dos:
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/rasker/dua...p-vista-already

thumbsup.gif

One thing to add is that windows can boot linux by default by changing the default= line in boot.ini to default=c:\grldr.

Cheers
R
20 Jun 2008
Read Topic
booting grub from grub4dos
Hi,

I am running Winxp on 3 ntfs drives. Disk 1 = winxp, disk 2 = Nv Raid (actually 3x500Gb drives) and disk 3 = ntfs data disk,250GB. On disk 3 I have made some space at the end of about 20GB and installed Fedora 8 on there. So disk 3 has a ntfs primary part, a 200mb ext3 /boot part (active) and a 19.8 gb linux lvm volume containing an ext3 / volume (these last two parts are a standard fedora install into some free space).

1) If I change the boot disk in the bios to disk 3 I can boot into fedora no problem (normal linux boot path).

2) I have setup grub4dos on Disk 1 per the docs (grbldr and entries in boot.ini). If I manually do a root (hd2,1), kernel vmlinuz....., initrd initrd....., copying the lines from the fedora menu.lst (symlinked to grub.conf) I can boot into fedora. (boot grub4dos from winxp boot.ini)

3) During the fedora install I told the installer to not write a new mbr to the disk but to write the mbr to the /boot partition's first sector. (Thius is why 1) above works).

This is all great and works amazingly well (grub4dos is my best 'discovery' this week).

I have run into a problem however. Fedora chases the kernel dragon really fast. Thus there can be 4 or 5 kernel updates over the release period. Each time the kernel is updated new entries are written to the fedora /boot partition. So using grub4dos I would have to manually edit the menu.lst for grub4dos each time the kernel; is updated. What would be easier is if I could boot Fedora's grub from grub4dos (using chainloader) and then select one of the fedora written kernel entries.

So, and I believe that in theroy this should work, I have a grub4dos entry of:

root (hd2,1)
chainloader +1

This should set the root to the fedora /boot partition and chainload the fedora grub boot sector written to that partition giving me the fedora grub menu.lst.

At the grub4dos commandline if I do a root (hd2,1) it finds the ext3 partition ok, if I set chainloader +1 I get no error, but if I boot from this then I just get a 'GRUB (flashing underline cursor)' and the machine locks up. I am thinkiing that it is crashing loading the fedora grub boot sector.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on here and if I need to do things differently to boot the Fedora boot loader?

Many thanks in advance,

Extras
Options
Options
Interests
No Information
Other Information
Last Visitors
rasker has no visitors to display.
Comments
Other users have left no comments for rasker.
Friends
There are no friends to display.
* Profile views updated each hour