Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topic
 The mistery of Windows 7 install required CD/DVD, booted through grub4dos .iso mapping
post Sep 15 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #1
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 562

Italy

Member triiui posted here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=5041&st=26

his success in installing Windows 7 through grub4dos .iso mapping.

Same method is failing for member Demontager:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=9038&hl=
QUOTE (Demontager @ Sep 15 2009, 01:47 PM) *
I was able to boot only and actually when setup process should started get these errors:
Win7
"A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD,DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

And the issue is confirmed by the sheer existence of the Chinese post/thread maanu found:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...c=9038&st=8
which details a workaround making use of IMDISK

I contacted triiui via PM (reproduced by permission):
It seems like you incorrectedly posted here:
that Windows 7 install works, while it does not. unsure.gif

Please do confirm you actually booted it successfully WITHOUT the "missing" CD/DVD problem and/or start a new thread detailing HOW you did it.

cheers.gif

jaclaz

Uhm thats so wierd, like 3 hours ago I installed it into the HDD of my school without any kind of problem. Also I formated my computer yesterday due to some problems I had with the HDD and reinstalled Windows 7 with that method.

So its actually working. Maybe it's working, because I have Windows XP installer there, on the root of the pen, so when its looking for X file or configuration, it takes the XP configuration and works anyway. Im not sure tho.
If you know surely that you get problems if you boot the .iso from grub4dos, you are free to delete it, as much more people might have problems with that too.

No sad.gif, actually I would like to keep it AND provide a better solution instead of the "manual" command for IMDISK. wink.gif

If you don't mind I'll start a new thread, citing what happened and your current confirmation. (can I cite verbatim your PM?)

As soon as you have an occasion to install 7 on some machine, are you willing to investigate (basically by deleting little by little anything BUT windows 7 .iso, grub4dos and menu.lst) which files may be responsible of it working?

cheers.gif

jaclaz

yeah do it, np.
I will try to investigate about this; im a bit busy because of school right now, but I will check why it is working for me. I might be maybe just lucky? haha

Any idea/insight/suggestion/report is welcome. smile.gif

I anyway refuse to attribute the success or insuccess to wodoo.gif

There must be a reason....dubbio.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

But ... then, why?

The revenue from clicking on publicity at this post is helping was_jaclaz
Boot Land shares publicity revenue with its members.

+Quote Post
post Sep 15 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #2
triiui
Newbie   *
Group: Members

Thank(s): 1

Spain

As quoted up there, I think it is because I've XP installation files (from the BartPE method or w/e) and maybe thats the reason.

BTW version I'm using is RTM 7100. Maybe it has something to do with that
+Quote Post
post Sep 15 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #3
maanu
Silver Member   ****

Thank(s): 141

Pakistan

i am not so sure , BUT if 7 iso will boot from usb drive , it ll give missing cd/dvd drive error , BUT if it ll boot from HDD (suppose we have grub4dos installed to MBR) it wont give any error .

can anyone check by booting it from the hdd ? i dont have any iso right now so cant test it .

but im very much sure about it that on another community , more then 5 persons had this error , so i told them to extract the iso at the root and it worked . all of them were booting iso from the usb drive . i did not know by then that imdisk option .

and if you ll search on wuoyu , many ppl were having this cd/dvd error if they booted from usb 4drive .
+Quote Post
post Sep 15 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #4
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Thank(s): 562

Italy

Maybe it is connected with the "Fixed" vs. "Removable" status of the controller? unsure.gif

If yes, that would be another pont for "flipping the bit". wink.gif

If yes, is there a way to load either cfadisk.sys or dummydisk.sys in Windows 7? (at least in 32 bit versions) dubbio.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post Oct 19 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #5
tsetya
Member   **

Thank(s): 18

Indonesia

i tried to install to install win7 (7100 and 7600) using iso mapping from HDD, usb HDD, partitioned UFD, none of them work. setup starting then stop at "required cd/dvd driver missing"
tried to execute x:\sources\setup also the same.
(no problem when installing from extracted iso)

note: i have experience with this error when installing vista from HDD using extracted iso, in this case i can execute drive:\sources\setup and installer will continue.
+Quote Post
post May 5 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #6
Raik

Thank(s): 0

Mexico

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Sep 15 2009, 03:59 PM) *
Maybe it is connected with the "Fixed" vs. "Removable" status of the controller? unsure.gif

I might try it just let me copy the files needed, takes time >_<...

If this works I will be a step closer to the ultimate USB boot drive (XP, windows 7 32bit, Acronis) already up and working perfectly fine (windows 7 but with the copy all DVD to USB method, I need to boot the ISO, that way I can have both 32bit and x64 in the same USB and install).
+Quote Post
post May 11 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #7
Raik

Thank(s): 0

Mexico

OK, finished.

Both x86 and x64 in a 8GB Corsair Flash VoyagerMini
Format NTFS allocation default
Only REMOVABLE tested, tomorrow will test FIXED

Results:

Asus P5Q-E motherboard = Both x86 and x64 boots fine, install fine.

Intel Atom 330 = Both x86 and x64 boots fine, installs fine.

Acer Aspire One AO751h = Both x86 and x64 boots and install fine.

Compaq Presario CQ41-226LA = Both x86 and x64 boots, cant install, ERROR.

Tomorrow will test FIXED and see if it solves, if not well that is the problem, SOME PC cant install windows 7 from a USB drive with the GRUB metod, only the copy-the-full-dvd-to-usb-drive works.
+Quote Post
post May 23 2010, 08:35 AM
Post #8
steve6375
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 105

United Kingdom

QUOTE (Raik @ May 11 2010, 07:04 AM) *
OK, finished.

Both x86 and x64 in a 8GB Corsair Flash VoyagerMini
Format NTFS allocation default
Only REMOVABLE tested, tomorrow will test FIXED

Results:

Asus P5Q-E motherboard = Both x86 and x64 boots fine, install fine.

Intel Atom 330 = Both x86 and x64 boots fine, installs fine.

Acer Aspire One AO751h = Both x86 and x64 boots and install fine.

Compaq Presario CQ41-226LA = Both x86 and x64 boots, cant install, ERROR.

Tomorrow will test FIXED and see if it solves, if not well that is the problem, SOME PC cant install windows 7 from a USB drive with the GRUB metod, only the copy-the-full-dvd-to-usb-drive works.

What method is this talking about? Using Grub4DOS and an ISO file or using the ISO file contents on the flash drive? What is in the menu.lst?

I would have thought that booting from a Win7 install ISO would not work because as soon as WinPE boots it will look for the large source .WIM file and won't be able to find it inside the ISO file. One way to work round this would be to extract the source Win7 WIM file from the Win7 ISO and place this WIM file on the flash drive where WinPE can find it and see if that works? e.g. place it in \sources\install.wim.

--------------------
Steve

Try RMPrepUSB for partitioning, formatting and making bootable your USB Flash Drive under Windows (supports FAT16/FAT32/NTFS, MSDOS/FreeDOS/XP/Vista, boot as Hard disk or floppy disk).
+Quote Post
post May 23 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #9
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****

Thank(s): 167

Italy

@steve
check the original post by triiui

describes it well enough: pure grub4dos mapping of the Windows 7 .iso as (hd32).

As you can see there are contrasting reports, the "extracted-iso-to-root" is known to be working, and it is NOT the object of this thread, the latest reports by raik seem like telling us that something BIOS connected can determine success or failure, but personally I cannot understand how it works when it works. dubbio.gif

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post May 23 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #10
steve6375
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 105

United Kingdom

QUOTE (Wonko the Sane @ May 23 2010, 09:30 AM) *
@steve
check the original post by triiui

describes it well enough: pure grub4dos mapping of the Windows 7 .iso as (hd32).

As you can see there are contrasting reports, the "extracted-iso-to-root" is known to be working, and it is NOT the object of this thread, the latest reports by raik seem like telling us that something BIOS connected can determine success or failure, but personally I cannot understand how it works when it works. dubbio.gif

cheers.gif
Wonko

Same here! If it is iso booting then how does it work dubbio.gif which is why I asked the question just to be clear. I can understand it booting, but I cannot understand how it would find the Win7 wim file and install Win7 to a disk!

This is why I suggested that a boot from the iso + a \sources\install.wim file on the USB drive might work.

i.e. flash drive has
grldr
menu.lst (using iso file)
win7.iso
\sources\install.wim

When WinPE boots it will look for a file called install.wim on all possible drives. If the tester has such an install.wim somewhere on any drive then the iso boot method might appear to work. But if they booted the USB drive on a clean, bare metal system, it would not unless the install.wim file exists on the USB drive as a file.

--------------------
Steve

Try RMPrepUSB for partitioning, formatting and making bootable your USB Flash Drive under Windows (supports FAT16/FAT32/NTFS, MSDOS/FreeDOS/XP/Vista, boot as Hard disk or floppy disk).
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum