Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven site established since 2006 and focused on data recovery/backup boot disks, research of Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/antivirus tools, customizing Windows PE systems and even learning how to recover from disaster situations.

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topic
 WinVBlock, Virtual Disk Driver for Windows
post Jun 10 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #1
Sha0
Member   **
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 33

Canada

WinVBlock is a free and open source Windows driver for using virtual disks. These disks appear in the Device Manager and Disk Management. It was originally derived from WinAoE, courtesy of V.

Currently supported are:
  • RAM disks
    • Supported for booting from
    • MEMDISK-established
      • Floppies
      • Hard disks
      • Optical discs
    • GRUB4DOS-established
      • Floppies
      • Hard disks
      • Optical discs
  • File-backed disks
    • Using the winvblk.exe command
    • Floppies
    • Hard disks
    • Optical discs
  • AoE disks
    • Supported for booting from as established by gPXE or another SAN-booting mechanism, or
    • Using the winvblk.exe command
    • Hard disks

You'll find the WinVBlock driver attached to my most recent post.

Source code should be available at the Etherboot & gPXE projects, courtesy of their project leader, Marty Connor.

Work on this driver was and is prompted by the discussion found in this thread.

See also: FiraDisk by karyonix. Fine work.

---ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS---

I swear that I read something about this before, but I am really lame with searching Boot Land. Way, way, too many posts to sort through and never find what I'm looking for. Then again, maybe it's because I never really read it. biggrin.gif I guess I'll have to search on searching to find out what I'm doing incorrectly.

Anyway, yeah: Has anyone experimented with establishing a RAM disk from GRUB4DOS, booting that RAM disk to some flavour of XP (full/"PE") and having any version of RAMDISK.SYS pick up the GRUB4DOS-established RAM disk and provide it as the boot volume, thus avoiding our favourite friend STOP 0x...7B?

FYI, I'd really like to start working on an XP driver with just such support, but have to balance the time investment out with some practicality, meaning testing such equivalent functionality, if it already exists in another form.

I don't mean with ramdisk(0) and /rdpath= entries, thanks. smile.gif

As an aside, there appears to be a blend of .SDI users and others, but I find a plain partition image to be way easier.

Some other "words" for future searchers:

map --mem blah
map blah (rd)
RAMDISK.SYS
Unmountable Boot Volume Prevention

- Sha0 Miller

1 user(s) said "Thank you!" to Andy Tim for this fantastic post:
Eugene
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #2
maanu
Silver Member   ****

Thank(s): 82

Pakistan

if u r after to get rid of 0x7b error , a while i came across a ntldr combined with ntdetect.com from a chinese site ( znpc ) . i have not yet played with it but its mainly for that error i guess coz setup ll not have to look for ntedetect atfer 1st time of boot .

let me know if u want it .

sorry for being a little off topic but i thought u might be interested . cool.gif
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #3
Sha0
Member   **

Thank(s): 33

Canada

QUOTE (maanu @ Jun 10 2009, 03:49 AM) *
if u r after to get rid of 0x7b error , a while i came across a ntldr combined with ntdetect.com from a chinese site ( znpc ) . i have not yet played with it but its mainly for that error i guess coz setup ll not have to look for ntedetect atfer 1st time of boot .

let me know if u want it .

sorry for being a little off topic but i thought u might be interested . cool.gif

Thanks, maanu. I believe that you are referring to I386\OSLOADER.NT_, which uncompressed is an OSLOADER with NTDETECT.COM attached. I certainly appreciate your response, but I'm not certain that it helps me out for this particular situation.
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #4
maanu
Silver Member   ****

Thank(s): 82

Pakistan

QUOTE (Andy Tim @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Thanks, maanu. I believe that you are referring to I386\OSLOADER.NT_, which uncompressed is an OSLOADER with NTDETECT.COM attached. I certainly appreciate your response, but I'm not certain that it helps me out for this particular situation.

i very much doubt about this . bt anyways i have forwarded u the link in pm . coz im not sure if it is right to share in public .

use boot.ini with it if it gives any error .
+Quote Post
post Jun 13 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #5
ilko
Frequent Member   ***

Thank(s): 12

Bulgaria

@Andy Tim

If you make this happen, you have no idea how many people will be thanking you thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
post Jun 14 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #6
gth

Group: Members

Thank(s): 1

Australia

Considering how I/O constrained XP is, you'd be definitely a creator of something special if you managed to get a RAM disk running that XP trusts as a normal hard disk without stop errors.

Best wishes and good luck with all your efforts.
+Quote Post
post Jun 14 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #7
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Thank(s): 545

Italy

@Andy Tim

It's years I'm trying to induce any programmer to take this challenge, though I do not really ( please read completely NOT) agree with your approach. w00t.gif

Let's talk about it (or about the other possible ways), would you like to? unsure.gif

cheers.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin
+Quote Post
post Jun 15 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #8
Climbing
Newbie   *

Thank(s): 5

China

there is a shareware driver named wdsys.sys from diskless angel team by bean123.

the driver can do what you want.

Forum with examples: http://windrv.net
+Quote Post
post Jun 15 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #9
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Thank(s): 545

Italy

QUOTE (Climbing @ Jun 15 2009, 04:03 AM) *
there is a shareware driver named wdsys.sys from diskless angel team by bean123.

the driver can do what you want.

Forum with examples: http://windrv.net

Which, just like several others possibilities, is listed on the reference thread:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1507

jaclaz

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin
+Quote Post
post Jun 15 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #10
joakim
Frequent Member   ***

Thank(s): 86

Norway

Although shareware, the diskless angel driver, as demo, is supposed to accept images up to 640 Mb without restrictions when used with PE.

The bad part (for me), is that I have not been able to load any images with it yet.

Joakim
+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (dog)

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCreate ISO_RAM (with grub4dos & WinVBlock)
Alternative method to BootSDI.script
1 acus 175 7th January 2010 - 03:33 PM
Last post by: acus
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWinVBlock.script
How to use winvblock driver with BootSDI.script
5 acus 193 4th January 2010 - 08:04 PM
Last post by: Lancelot