Myk3
post Oct 14 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 13,327

United States

Is there a way to make a USB Flash drive read only? We have spent lots of time building our multiboot flash drives.. We go to test a unit and it writes data to the flash drive (virus) is there way to make the flash write protected (for drives without the slide selector switch)?

Myk3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Oct 14 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 32
Member No.: 2,192

You can disallow the computer to write to USB as far as i know.
But that's a per computer, not per drive setting.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
Myk3
post Oct 14 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

United States

I have found some apps to lock the entire drive but not just make it read only. Best case would be to make it read only unless a password is provided..

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Oct 14 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 131
Member No.: 1

Portugal

I only know the pendisks that come with a write-protect switch on their side as you've mentioned, sorry.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

One quick idea would be making an image of the pendisk and periodically apply it back to avoid virus tampering.

--

Hope Jaclaz or another member can help and "find" something more relevant to this question.

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Oct 14 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The real question is, why you don't just go buy some with write protect switches and be done with it?
USB-Sticks are dirt cheap in the US.

+Quote Post
Myk3
post Oct 14 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

United States

I have 2 that I am currently using.. 8GB sandsik cruzer and 8GB kingston Data traveler. I rather not go and buy another drive. Also the switch on the side can be moved accidentlly or if someone wants to borrow the thumbdrive they can only read from it if it is software controlled, and not the switch since they can just move the switch and edit files or whatever..

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Oct 14 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Bug Catcher

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 56
Member No.: 15,072

Turkey

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Oct 14 2008, 07:22 PM) *
The real question is, why you don't just go buy some with write protect switches and be done with it?

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Myk3
and a + advice, buy a fast one, not the cheapest

Maybe (just an idea)
as ntfs have encrpton feature, it can be used. Never tried myself, never needed (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
http://www.rohos.com/free-encryption/
(read: Windows logon with YubiKey), this feature MAYBE can be used by some methods with livexp os on usb stick too!

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif) easiest and more proper way is buying usb stick with protect switch (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 14 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Finder

Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

@Lancelot
Well, the only different effect resulting from a "nasty" virus it will be some encrypted data wiped as opposed to some "plain" data wiped. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

Whilst partial recovery is in some cases possible from "plain" data, it is practically impossible to recover anything from a damaged encrypted volume, so, as I see it, not the smartest of the choices. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

@Myk3
Once you have a working drive, IMAGE it, possibly before filling it up to the brim with DATA, if you use an imaging program that skips blank sectors (and supports compression), the size of the image will be minimal.

And once you have filled it up with data, IMAGE it again, so if and when - even if no virus affects it - the device will kiss you goodbye for ANY reason (wear, statics, components failing, etc.) your data won't be lost.

And once you have done BOTH the above, backup the data, and periodically back it up again, and whatever doubt you may have, make a backup first thing. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Write blocking software:
http://www.forensicfocus.com/index.php?nam...opic&t=2121
http://www.forensicfocus.com/index.php?nam...opic&t=2634

And before anyone thinks about it, "real" USB write blockers ain't cheap! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
http://www.digitalintelligence.com/product..._write_blocker/
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/Forensic_UltraDock.php

jaclaz

P.S.: For your interest, for only 9.95$, you can also have something that you (supposedly (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) cannot live without:(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/misc.php
Easy removal tool for Molex Connectors

4 pin "molex connectors" are well known for being a bear to unplug. Save yourself from hurt fingers and torn up fingernails with mrTool. This custom made aluminum device is perfectly suited for the task.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/hyper.gif)

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Oct 14 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #9

Bug Catcher

Thank(s): 56
Member No.: 15,072

Turkey

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 14 2008, 08:16 PM) *
@Lancelot
Well, the only different effect resulting from a "nasty" virus it will be some encrypted data wiped as opposed to some "plain" data wiped. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

yep i know, idea is for less nasty virus (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and to protect files from unwanted eyes

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 14 2008, 08:16 PM) *
Whilst partial recovery is in some cases possible from "plain" data, it is practically impossible to recover anything from a damaged encrypted volume, so, as I see it, not the smartest of the choices.

all agreed, my idea is not solid, not smartest. If there is write access to disk, there can be anything (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Best idea is usb stick with protect switch,
2nd is backing up with a image utility properly,
my smart method is having a build backup of OSes (bart,slax, .img's,livexp) i prepare for usb. So by regular using experience, in next build i change things and make the build. It is really fast when things are ready (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/worship.gif)

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Oct 14 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Myk3 @ Oct 14 2008, 07:40 PM) *
Also the switch on the side can be moved accidentlly or if someone wants to borrow the thumbdrive they can only read from it if it is software controlled, and not the switch since they can just move the switch and edit files or whatever..

1.) Software protection is always easier to circumvent than hardware!
2.) Glue the switch shut to protect your USB -stick
or
3.) If you're handy with a soldering iron, remove the switch and replace it by a connector, this way you can still un-write protect it, but nobody else.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to MedEvil For This Useful Post:
carim
« Next Oldest · Multiboot and USB support · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2008 - 12:54 PM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS