IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recommended
BootDisk.com

Active Users

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
WB how to add other scripts to my project?, ...and how to save a project for later usage?
john3voltas
post Sep 13 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 11,961

Portugal

I'm sorry that I had to create a new topic but I really can't find what I need.
First of all, many thanks to the authors of this baby and the authors of the scripts that go with it.
I have already tried a vanilla wb7.4, selected and downloaded the scripts that open up as available and successfully created a LiveXP to go in my PenDisk.
Unfortunately people always want more and more and more...and I'm no different from those people. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Now I'd like to have FreeCommander and AvastScanner/AvastScanner-Bin, SpaceMonger and 7zip available in my PenDisk too.
That didn't seem to be too difficult, so I downloaded the wanted scripts and added them to the 'Projects/LiveXP/Apps' folder in my WB tree.
Everything seems to go ok but when my new project runs in qemu I have 2 'Apps' inside my 'Start/Programs' folder and some tools don't work properly.
Anything I might be doing wrong?
Also, I'd like to load the recommended scripts and strip out a couple of scripts that I don't need from the recommended list and save this project for later usage so that I don't need to re-download everything again next time I run WB.
That's possible right? Is there maybe a howto topic on how to do it?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 13 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 127
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Olá john3voltas!

I'll answer to whatever questions you have in english but if something isn't very clear on this language and you prefer to talk in portuguese you're also welcome to start a new topic on the respective section or email me directly. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------
Everything seems to go ok but when my new project runs in qemu I have 2 'Apps' inside my 'Start/Programs' folder and some tools don't work properly.
Anything I might be doing wrong?

You need to build the whole project from scratch, I think you're maybe just running these newly added scripts.

The LiveXP project needs to run from top to bottom - meaning that you should all the scripts you wish to see included on the project to get everything working right. There is also another way of doing this, but for the moment please try a build from scratch to see how it goes.

Also, I'd like to load the recommended scripts and strip out a couple of scripts that I don't need from the recommended list and save this project for later usage so that I don't need to re-download everything again next time I run WB.
That's possible right? Is there maybe a howto topic on how to do it?

Do you mean that whenever you go online, all scripts that are marked as "Recommended" get selected even when you don't want them? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

And you're asking for a way to keep them disabled whenever you go online?

Please correct me if I'm wrong so I'll suggest a way to achieve this even thought it's not the "cleanest" solution.

On this case you should download all scripts (even the ones you don't want) that are marked as "Recommended" and then disable them from the main script tree where all scripts are listed.

Next time you go online since they were already downloaded they won't show up as selected.

Hope this helps.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
john3voltas
post Sep 13 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Portugal

Hi Nuno,
Glad to see that I caught your attention and thanks for helping me here.
I'd rather keep it in English so that this is available for a much wider audience to read and who knows to try and help me. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Please acknowledge that I am still grasping the basics of WB so go easy on me.
What I mean is, I have always deleted everything except for wb.exe whenever I restart my project for whatever reason.
Do you mean that if I already downloaded all my needed scripts I can always use my previously downloaded base?
What about my config options? Do I keep them this way too?
I will keep trying.
I just downloaded wb 0.75b4 and I set to download only the script that I foresee that I will use in the future.
The next move is to 'embed' the scripts that I manually downloaded such as freecomander and 7zip.
If I am successful I will want to mark that config/options good and save it for further usage.
Say, if a new 7zip is launched someone may update the 7zip script. How can I update my project if such a sequence of events happen?
Once again many thanks for your support.
Cheers

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 13 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Portugal

I'd rather keep it in English so that this is available for a much wider audience to read and who knows to try and help me

Very wise indeed. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please acknowledge that I am still grasping the basics of WB so go easy on me.

Don't worry, we're all here to learn. Maybe someday you can also help someone else getting started.

What I mean is, I have always deleted everything except for wb.exe whenever I restart my project for whatever reason.
Do you mean that if I already downloaded all my needed scripts I can always use my previously downloaded base?
What about my config options? Do I keep them this way too?

Yes.

There is no need to delete, just keep them on disk and startup winbuilder.exe to get everything like you had last time it was run.

Say, if a new 7zip is launched someone may update the 7zip script. How can I update my project if such a sequence of events happen?

If an updated script is released and made available on the respective project server, the next time you visit this server inside wb's download center it will mark this file as checked for download since the script version on the internet is bigger than the one you have on disk.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
john3voltas
post Sep 13 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Portugal

QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Sep 13 2008, 01:33 PM) *
Yes.
There is no need to delete, just keep them on disk and startup winbuilder.exe to get everything like you had last time it was run.

Good to know, this way I won't waste my bandwidth anymore. Oh, and yours' too. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
If an updated script is released and made available on the respective project server, the next time you visit this server inside wb's download center it will mark this file as checked for download since the script version on the internet is bigger than the one you have on disk.

Cool feature, one which actually makes sense but that I thought still hadn't been coded into wb.
Just one question: you say that wb will mark a script for download when it knows there is a more up-to-date version on the server but what if originally I had manually added the script to project?
There's no way wb knows that this manually added script is outdated, right? Can I just copy/overwrite a newer version of a script on top of the older release and still expect my project to work afterwards?
Cheers

+Quote Post
john3voltas
post Sep 13 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Portugal

Update
Here's what I was trying to tell you that has been happening to me quite often since I begin testing wb.
Remember that I told you I would get 2 Apps folders?
Here's a picture of it, maybe this way it is easier to express it.
I simply selected servers livexp.boot-land.net along with thuun.boot-land.net.
From livexp server I already had selected and downloaded all the recommended scripts.
From thuun.boot-land.net I selected freecomander, 7zip, avast and spacemonger.
Afterwords I went to my '/projects/nativepe/apps' folder and copied all the folders in there to my 'projects/livexp/apps' folder.
I restarted my wb and I got this picture.
If I go ahead and build my project some tools will fail to work and will be placed on a separate apps folder in my start menu.
If this still doesn't help I'll do a flash movie of what I am doing so you can track all my moves and see if I am goofing somewhere in the process.
As always, TIA.
Cheers
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 13 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #7

Guru

Thank(s): 83
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (john3voltas @ Sep 13 2008, 05:29 PM) *
I simply selected servers livexp.boot-land.net along with thuun.boot-land.net.

The project tree in the left is 'logical' tree, not 'physical' tree.

If you see into any script: (usually) the first section is [Main] and contains a key 'level'
The 'level' defines the order of processing the different script.

When Winbuilder reads a project, it does
  • Go through all project folders and add all scripts with level 1 to the tree
    May show several folders containing scripts with level 1
  • Go through all project folders and add all scripts with level 2 to the tree
    May show several folders containing scripts with level 2 (folders may be shown already with level 1)
  • ... up to level 10
So, depending on the project, you theoretically can have THE SAME folder under all levels.

Usually a project is built in a way that no duplicate folders appear.ö The developer takes care on this.

But inside his project the developer is free how to mdefine levels.

And when you copy scripts from a different project, 'comparable priority' scripts may have different levels and appear at a different place in the tree.

Solution:
Adapt the level of the imported scripts to the levels of your original project, either by using the WinBuilder internal script editor, or an external text editor.

Good luck

Peter

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 13 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Portugal

Can I just copy/overwrite a newer version of a script on top of the older release and still expect my project to work afterwards?

This depends on the scripts that you add.

Now I understand a bit better your work conditions.

You shouldn't mix scripts from bartPE core. Use only scripts from inside the liveXP server to get an error free build.

-------

I'll explain in more detail why.

The scripts you're using are called "App scripts" (because they add programs onto the boot disk project) and we all agreed some time ago to code these app scripts using a standard way.

Thuun's project was made before this standard was implemented, therefore you can't mix the scripts from bartPEcore onto LiveXP simply because liveXP doesn't know how to interpret them.

You can however mix app scripts that follow this standard API - LiveXP, VistaPE, nativeEx, etc.

The reason why it appears a second apps folder is because Thuun's scripts don't use the same level inside the project as the standard scripts do.

A level defines an order to categorize scripts starting from 1 to 10.

Thuun's scripts are likely level 4 while the standard for app scripts is 5, therefore wb has no other option other than showing another Apps folder to represent these scripts with different level number.

Just one question: you say that wb will mark a script for download when it knows there is a more up-to-date version on the server but what if originally I had manually added the script to project?

Here it gets a bit more complicated but I'll explain why.

When you download scripts from a server, it will place them inside an organized folder structure like Apps\Internet; Apps\Productivity; Apps\Security, etc, etc.

Whenever you go online to the download center, it will compare all scripts inside each project (even the ones you added manually) and if there is a match that is placed on the same exact folder on the server then it will compare versions.

For example,

On disk you have:
LiveXP\Apps\Internet\filezilla.script (version 30)

On the web there is
LiveXP\Apps\Internet\filezilla.script (version 31)

On this case it will mark the update as available.

If you have something like on your disk:
LiveXP\Apps\Network\filezilla.script (version 30)

Then the path won't match with the one on the server and it will be ignored.

-------------

Since you're mixing scripts outside the LiveXP server, they won't be updated unless they are added onto the server.

Maybe you can ask thuun to update these scripts to the newer app script format or do it yourself - there are some tutorials to help understand this scripting here (easy) --> http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4415

Good luck.

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 13 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #9

Guru

Thank(s): 83
Member No.: 3

Germany

I think the crossing of the replies gives an 'universal' description for john3voltas

Peter (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

+Quote Post
john3voltas
post Sep 13 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Portugal

Guys, guys, if you go on like this I'll become a Pro in a matter of hours. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Thank you all for your elaborate answers.
I will digest all information gathered here, run my tests and I'll post back here if I found some issues.
Truth is, when I look at my logs I see lots of errors and other minor stuff that apparently didn't go as according.
I will post back my logs in an hour or so.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · WinBuilder · Next Newest »

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:57 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS