IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recommended
BootDisk.com

Active Users

Reply to this topicStart new topic
ActiveScript, Why not make WinBuilder an ActiveX host?
amix
post Sep 4 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 1,332

Hungary

Hi!

Let me express my joy and gratitude about Winbuilder. It is a very nice application and nice to use, since it is pretty and useful. Oh, I use the 075b4 atm.

I did not yet build an ISO, mainly, because the projects I found do not satisfy my needs (therefore I only used PEBuilder till now). However, I would love to use WB. As I see, that I will need to create my own scripts I am in a state of shock: Urghs: Yet another scripting technique to learn (and put simply: I got no time to do that).

I was wondering why WB does not use Windows' ActiveScript technique? This would allow to write our scripts in many languages, J(ava)script, VBScript, Python, Ruby, Perl, ooRexx, PHP just being a few of them. For all commands, that the native WSH does not offer (and more than the half of WB's own scripting language could be satisfied by the WSH), WB could add them via ActiveX either by hosting them itself or by delivering som COM. Wouldn't it make more sense? Of course, I feel, that this won't be changed anymore, but I am curious as of why you did not use it from the beginning? Thanks :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 4 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Guru

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 83
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (amix @ Sep 4 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Hi!

Let me express my joy and gratitude about Winbuilder. It is a very nice application and nice to use, since it is pretty and useful. Oh, I use the 075b4 atm.

I did not yet build an ISO, mainly, because the projects I found do not satisfy my needs (therefore I only used PEBuilder till now). However, I would love to use WB. As I see, that I will need to create my own scripts I am in a state of shock: Urghs: Yet another scripting technique to learn (and put simply: I got no time to do that).

I was wondering why WB does not use Windows' ActiveScript technique? This would allow to write our scripts in many languages, J(ava)script, VBScript, Python, Ruby, Perl, ooRexx, PHP just being a few of them. For all commands, that the native WSH does not offer (and more than the half of WB's own scripting language could be satisfied by the WSH), WB could add them via ActiveX either by hosting them itself or by delivering som COM. Wouldn't it make more sense? Of course, I feel, that this won't be changed anymore, but I am curious as of why you did not use it from the beginning? Thanks :-)

Hi amix,

first, welcome in our community!

On the first view your suggestion seems to be rather interesting / popular.

But let me give a complain:

If WinBuilder uses the syntax of a known script language, WinBuilder would through itself into trash.
WinBuilder uses and lives from its own powerful language (which increases day by day).

On the other hand: For me it is an exciting idea to have statements e.g. beginning with '#$?'. And that means that this statement is written in script language '?' and has to be interpreted accordingly.
A good idea for WinBuilder 078! Maybe it is possible!

BTW: I usually do not answer to anonymous members. I at least want to see their nationality (and please no 'Afghanistan' as the top in the selection!)
My answer here is only because the idea seems interesting for me.

If a new member comes up w/o telling any personal background, for me automatically the assumption comes up 'Wants to 'steel' important information'. And I do not like that.
You may get a lot of 'important information' here, but please let us know the recipient of the information!

Peter

+Quote Post
amix
post Sep 10 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Hungary

QUOTE (psc @ Sep 4 2008, 09:12 PM) *
Hi amix,

first, welcome in our community!

Thanks!

On the first view your suggestion seems to be rather interesting / popular.

But let me give a complain:

If WinBuilder uses the syntax of a known script language, WinBuilder would through itself into trash.
WinBuilder uses and lives from its own powerful language (which increases day by day).

After I posted my comment I thought about it again and again and that was, when I realized, that having your own scripting-, maybe it would better be called instruction-language (?), has vital benefits and which would be trashed with a full grown programming-language:

1) Support problems. The forum-members would need to reply to a lot of problems, that arise from the scripting-language itself and not from WinBuiilder's functionality. And since the possibility exists to have several different languages in use.... and most people would use VBScript or JScript, therefore those using another language like Ruby or even ooRexx would have problems finding answers. With a single point of focus, that is so tightley integrated into WB this problem does not arise.
2) Mostly WB uses an instruction language, which has been custom-built to the fact and therefore is pretty straight forward. I just realized this, when I checked how WB works with the registry. Would I use WSH with JScript, I'd need to create objects in advance and write more code. Not much more, but still more.

However, on the other side, there may be some benefit to be able to use a machinery (the WSH and ActiveX) that is so tightly integrated into the Windows Operating System and has been advocated by Microsoft, mostly, for system-administrators. At least this was their focus on courses and public-relations. It's actually a bit like the operating-systems user-land language. Well, at least the administrative parts of it. And this exactly what we folks over here have to deal with, when creating specialized OS enviornments.

On the other hand: For me it is an exciting idea to have statements e.g. beginning with '#$?'. And that means that this statement is written in script language '?' and has to be interpreted accordingly.
A good idea for WinBuilder 078! Maybe it is possible!

What about rooting in ActiveScript and have WB become an ActiveX component, that offers its instruction set as an API while making WB's scripting-language an ActiveScript language by itself? One could decide which one to use. Of course, this sounds like pretty much work and maybe it is simply not worth the hazzle.

BTW: I usually do not answer to anonymous members. I at least want to see their nationality (and please no 'Afghanistan' as the top in the selection!)

Oh, ich wollte Dich nicht im Dunkeln tappen lassen ;-)

If a new member comes up w/o telling any personal background, for me automatically the assumption comes up 'Wants to 'steel' important information'. And I do not like that.
You may get a lot of 'important information' here, but please let us know the recipient of the information!

Oh, I think you are overestimating things now. Sure, this is my first post and there is forums I participate more actively in and in some less. I am a member of this forum for over a year or two, if memory serves me correctly, and I get the newsletter. Fact is, that I did not use WinBuilder till now. The last time I wanted to create a Boot-CD I decided I would make a DVD with a lots of goodies (WinXP install, Linux instant LiveCD server, Linux instant Live Client, several emergency utils, like Spinrite, my Acronis products and lots more) but I started a new job and had a lot of other things to do.

But now, that I started to investigate into my desired procedure, I came back. But more on this in another topic.

Oh, so you do not feel alone in the dark I am going to set up some more info about me in the profile. Cu soon.

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 10 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Guru

Germany

QUOTE (amix @ Sep 10 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Oh, so you do not feel alone in the dark I am going to set up some more info about me in the profile. Cu soon.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Now a 'Welcome' to the new (old) Hungarian member

Egészegére (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Peter

+Quote Post
amix
post Sep 12 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Hungary

QUOTE (psc @ Sep 10 2008, 06:39 PM) *
(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Now a 'Welcome' to the new (old) Hungarian member

Thanks. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/celebrate3.gif)

Careful! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) You nearly wrote: Egész-segére, which would be pronounced "Ägeß-schäggerä" in German and would mean: "Auf den vollen #@?!" #@?! meaning her or his rear end (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Egészségedre (Ägeßschegädrä) is the safe bet (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Prost! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 13 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #6

Guru

Germany

QUOTE (amix @ Sep 12 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Thanks. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/celebrate3.gif)

Careful! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) You nearly wrote: Egész-segére, which would be pronounced "Ägeß-schäggerä" in German and would mean: "Auf den vollen #@?!" #@?! meaning her or his rear end (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Egészségedre (Ägeßschegädrä) is the safe bet (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Prost! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Oops!

One character makes such a difference (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/what.gif)

Peter

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Development · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:54 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS