Reply to this topicStart new topic
XP on USB Removable Logical Drive
post Aug 8 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 2
Member No.: 9,829

Full (Generic) XP SP3-Slipstreamed on USB Removable (Encrypted) Logical Drive (EWF)

Hi, all!

Ok, starting from here http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5315

or here http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...mp;#entry148627

I found a way in order to install a full XP on a Logical Drive of any USB devices as Removable drives, with consequent both maximum compatibility BIOS/USB-drives and maximum freedom to choose about both your preferred file-system and your partition size, and furthermore with no preparation or pre-treatment of your Removable USB Flash Drive in order to make it bootable.

Logical System Drive of your Removable USB device will result easily encryptable too: all my tests have been done with TrueCrypt 6.0a, but it seems that also other encryption software are (and should be!) properly working under XP from a Logical Drive http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=41077 , furthermore all my tests have been done with already encrypted Logical System Drive (but it is not strictly needed).

RAW (Sector-By-Sector) image backup of your Logical System Drive is easily restorable and finely workable on any USB device independently if it is as Fixed Disk or as Removable Drive.

This is the story... beginning with an USB Fixed Disk (USB Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive pre-treated with Lexar utility as Fixed Disk) all you have to do in order to reach a workable and fully restorable image backup of your XP on USB Logical Drive is as follows:

1. Boot from your USB-device where XP is installed on Logical Drive following my above linked method and reach your desktop: your usual IDE HDs can already be connected to your system in order to easily take all needed.

2. Connect your Removable USB Flash Drive with all Unallocated space and let Windows to automatically detect it and to install its own drivers.

3. Create a folder named "microdrive" and copy into it all needed files about Hitachi Microdrive Filter.

4. Modify related INF file in order to recognize your Removable USB Flash Drive(s).

5. Copy "microdrive" folder on your working XP USB in "\Windows\system32\drivers\".

6. From Device Manager select your Removable USB Flas Drive and update standard Windows driver with Hitachi Microdrive (> Reboot now).

7. Now with HDHacker replace your Removable USB Flash Drive's MBR with a "NotInitialized" one (not sure if it can be avoided, but always I've done that).

8. Reboot your system again, but this time from your IDE XP and reach your (IDE) desktop (please, let your Removable UFD connected).

9. Create a RAW backup image of the whole USB Device in which you have installed Hitachi Microdrive Filter (USB Device of 8 GB in size seems to me a perfect choice in order both to have enough space for your Logical System Drive and for your possible other one, two, further Logical Drives inside your Extended partition and to have not too large RAW image backup to save and to store): please, note that RAW mode for image backup is needed not only when your Logical System Drive is encrypted, but also because in that way then you can restore your RAW image backup without the need to install Hitachi Microdrive Filter under your IDE XP in order to re-partition every time your Removable USB Flash Drives, in fact RAW image backup is restorable on Unallocated space of any Removable USB Devices with no further preparation!

10. Restore the RAW image backup just created on any USB Device: Removable drives or Fixed disks, as you want. Obviously you must restore RAW image backup on Removable drives of which you've previously installed Hitachi Microdrive Filter under a working XP-USB, if not it's clear that it will not work! However, if you restore it on Fixed Disks the issue does not arise.

11. Done!

12. Now your Full XP will be able to boot and to work from a Logical Drive of any USB devices: Fixed disks and Removable drives! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

The above procedure should result in some advantages of great importance: in fact, the first FAT (and Active) partition is widely preferred by most if not all BIOSes in order to boot USB devices, then you will reach an excellent BIOS/Hardware compatibility with no special preparation and/or pre-treatment of your Removable USB Flash Drives.

On your Removable USB Flash Drive your can create a Logical Drive with your preferred file system and it can be of any preferred size, maintaining a high compatibility with most BIOSes.

Your Logical System partition is flawlessly encryptable.

Your RAW images backup (of your encrypted or not encrypted Logical Drive) are restorable and properly working on any Removable USB Flash Drive with no pre-treatment.

Furthermore, please note that a Logical drive is obviously created inside an Extended partition, with additional advantages that this fact implies (about that, please ask to jaclaz! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif) http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=40980 ).

Frankly, it does not seem to me too little...

Cheers! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Btw: for now it's all, and I did not want to wait for... further details, links and screenshots will follow shortly.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 8 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Finder

Thank(s): 115
Member No.: 2

Italy

online,
I had to correct ALL links in your post. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Please be careful when you copy and paste from another Forum post:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=21895&hl=

"Long" links get easily broken, as the copy command copies the text as displayed instead of the full link.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
post Aug 8 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

jaclaz,
you're right: I thought of everything, except the broken-copy of links... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

Thank you so much, for your time too! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
post Aug 8 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Aug 8 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Would it be possible to fix an XP installation disk, so that install into any kind of USB-Drive would be possible?

NO.
Hitachi Microdrive Filter needs for its own installation an INF related file that must contain the HardwareID of each specified USB Flash Drive (taken from the first line of related UFD entry of the following registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR"), so an assumed installation of any USB Flash Drive is impossible. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Then, even if you can "fix" XP installation CD-ROM (and I do not think) you do not solve anything and the issue remains the same: so my above procedure is surely a better way because you can add HardwareIDs of all USB Flash Drive that you currently own in a single step and then restore the RAW image backup on each ones very simply.

If you tomorrow will buy a new Removable device you will must (very easily) upgrade your RAW image backup and then to discard the previous one: really, nothing of difficult.
So, sincerely, if you think of all that is behind the whole procedure in order to reach a full XP on USB devices that issue is really the smallest thing! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Btw: (as I said in opening post) if you "give" me a while I will add all further details and links shortly... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 8 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #5

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (online @ Aug 8 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Hitachi Microdrive Filter needs for its own installation an INF related file that must contain the HardwareID of each specified USB Flash Drive (taken from the first line of related UFD entry of the following registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR"), so an assumed installation of any USB Flash Drive is impossible. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Yes, but it should be possible to re-create those entries via batch, adding to BOTH the SETUPREG.HIV and HITAMDFD.INF. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
post Aug 8 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 8 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Yes, but it should be possible to re-create those entries via batch, adding to BOTH the SETUPREG.HIV and HITAMDFD.INF.

Good to know, but so I would must re-create a new modded XP installation CD-ROM every time for every "new" device I handled... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

It's not easier and unexpensive (and maybe even safer) to upgrade the RAW image backup when (and if) needed with a real Filter driver installation (just few mins in order to do that and no chance of something goes wrong)?

Btw: sorry if I'm not an expert and I (really, Google) do not know "HITAMDFD.INF"... maybe it was "cfadisk.inf"?

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 8 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Finder

Italy

@online
Yes, that's how I personaly renamed the .INF file, but there is no Copyright on it, you can use it as well. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

@Medevil
Do we have a list of the contents of Registry key (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR
used in PE? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

FYI, it's something like this:
CODE
Disk&Ven_KINGMAX&Prod_USB2.0_Flashdisk&Rev_1.00\23000000001BC7&0

Can you give me a link to such a resource?

jaclaz

+Quote Post
cdob
post Aug 8 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 8
Member No.: 11,765

QUOTE (online @ Aug 8 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Hitachi Microdrive Filter needs for its own installation an INF related file that must contain the HardwareID of each specified USB Flash Drive (taken from the first line of related UFD entry of the following registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR"), so an assumed installation of any USB Flash Drive is impossible.

You are sure?

Launch 'devcon.exe hwids "USBSTOR\*"' and post output.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/

What about generic HardwareID "USBSTOR\GenDisk" ?

Compare
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&...st&p=142544

However there is a drawback:
HardwareID "USBSTOR\GenDisk" match a USB hard disk (fixed) too.
No idea about filter and USB hard disk.

+Quote Post
post Aug 8 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Aug 8 2008, 07:04 PM) *
Easiest to find will it be in the USB script, but XPE-AIO contains them too.

For which purpose you have that list of HardwareIDs?
Are they useful in order to install Hitachi Microdrive for any USB Flash Drive?
And in which way, please?
If it is so I will be very happy to know that way! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Aug 8 2008, 05:34 PM) *
See that's the beauty, we already use a compiled list of HwId to get USB-Sticks working. In PE!
Unless someone has ever come across a stick not working, the HwIds are no problem. Has anyone?

Maybe here we are a bit off-topic, however I'm really very interested: working in PE, what? And how, please?
And for which purpose "we already use a compiled list of HwId to get USB-Sticks working. In PE!"?
Here the topic is "Full XP on USB Logical Drive" with (or without) "Hitachi Microdrive Filter" install: do you think or do you know how to do in order to reach an installation of that filter driver for any USB Flash Drive in a way in which I can create an image backup (or any other way) that restored on any USB Flash Drive then boots and works under full XP from a Logical Drive?
If it is so I am very happy to hear this! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
post Aug 8 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 8 2008, 06:37 PM) *
it's something like this:
CODE
Disk&Ven_KINGMAX&Prod_USB2.0_Flashdisk&Rev_1.00\23000000001BC7&0

Yes, and more precisely, resulting needed lines in "cfadisk.inf" are like following. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

CODE
USBSTOR\DiskJetFlashTS2GJFV30_______8.07

USBSTOR\DiskPEAK_II_Flash_Drive_____0.00

USBSTOR\DiskPEAK_II_Flash_Drive_____1100

USBSTOR\DiskPhilips_USB_Flash_Drive_1100

Furthermore let me understand, please:
you say that "it should be possible to re-create those entries via batch, adding to BOTH the SETUPREG.HIV and HITAMDFD.INF".
Well, if I understand what you mean (and sure I have little knowledge), you say that I could detect "those" entries via batch and then to add themselves into XP installation CD-ROM in order to install Hitachi Microdrive under current and working Removable device where I want to install XP from its (modded) CD-ROM. Right?
Ok, but I wonder: if is that possible then which usefulness you would reach about the topic?
I want to say: do you think that this installation then would be restorable on a new Removable USB Flash Drive?
Frankly, if so was I would be more than happy! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But if it is not so, then in presence of a new Removable USB Flash Drive I would must re-install XP (and modding and burning a new CD-ROM) on that new Removable device... that's it would be useless.
Have you tried that way?
Or has someone you know tried that way?
I cannot believe that it is so, then if you very kindly would must point me to that so interesting way I would appreciate it so much and I thank you very much in advance! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Multiboot and USB support · Next Newest »

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th October 2008 - 04:06 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS