Bitlocker access from PE?
DeathsPal
post Jul 30 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 15,384

United States

I am wondering if anyone had made a tool for mounting a bitlocker'ed partition from PE. I know that in the Lenovo rescue and recovery Partition found on newer Lenovo machines (x,t61-M75 ect...) (this partition is a PE2.0 based tool) it automatically detects the presence of a bitlocker partition and prompts for the recovery media or Key. could this be modified or adapted to Vista PE Or could we learn from it to build our own? the reason I ask is I have a machine with a damaged SYSTEM HIVE file and the partition is bitlocker'ed. Usualy it easy to replave the file from the last backup but not when the drive is encrypted, even though I have the key.....

Also I tried to search on this and just kept getting error from the search function in this fourm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Jul 30 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 128
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Hi DeathsPal, welcome to our community! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There is a bug on the search box.

You enter the keywords to search and need to manually select "All forums" otherwise it defaults to "None"

---

This sounds an interesting features, would really thank if you could debug how Lenovo makes this work.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
DeathsPal
post Jul 30 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #3

United States

well I guess I'll be breaking down the .wim files for both their PE and the Vista install media as the both have support built in for Bitlocker..... Hopefully I can find a way to package what they are doing into an include script.... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
booty#1
post Aug 3 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 4,830

Germany

Hi DeathsPal,

as the Vista installation DVD has the function to mount Bitlocker enabled volumes it should be possible to add that feature to VistaPE, too. I don't know if the files and settings are already included - I assume that they aren't included.

booty#1

+Quote Post
rehtorix
post Aug 4 2008, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 2
Member No.: 11,466

Finland

It MIGHT be that because the VistaPE is build the way that it only adds some stuff and not all files from the DVD (or WAIK), some functionality is not working right (for example USB drives are not always recognized unless you manually copy the full set of PE 2.0 files from the install DVD..).. I did a post about this couple of months ago.. Unfortunately I don't have a bitlocker partition to try out.. but should be quite easy to try it out, I'll try to see if it works in my own PE version.

+Quote Post
DeathsPal
post Oct 13 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #6

United States

I think from what I have been reading lately that what we have in VistaPE is most of what we need to get Bitlocker working... It looks like the only missing part may be drivers for the TPM in the machine you are working on

CODE
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749341.aspx

Now that the summer projects I have been working on are mostly done I intend to get this working and Will of course Share what a learn here.... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
ctmag
post Oct 13 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 16
Member No.: 15,320

Germany

looking forward to it...thanks!

+Quote Post
booty#1
post Oct 14 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 4,830

Germany

QUOTE (DeathsPal @ Oct 13 2008, 07:04 PM) *
I think from what I have been reading lately that what we have in VistaPE is most of what we need to get Bitlocker working... It looks like the only missing part may be drivers for the TPM in the machine you are working on

Sorry, but I disagree. The TPM is only usable if you boot up your system using exactly the same Vista installation which was used for setting up Bitlocker. Otherwise the TPM will detect a different boot sequence and the stored keys are inaccessible (that is how a TPM is designed to work).

The only chance to access Bitlocker from VistaPE is using a recovery key stored on a USB stick or by entering the a bit lengthy recovery password.

Therefore don't waste your time for the TPM driver. They are useless in a PE environment.

booty#1

+Quote Post
ctmag
post Oct 14 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 16
Member No.: 15,320

Germany

this is good news, so we should get it working without tpm anyway:-)

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · VistaPE · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2008 - 08:07 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS