wimb
post Jul 29 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Frequent Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 22
Member No.: 9,517

Netherlands

================================================================================

*** Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB ***

1. Install of XP from USB using USB_XP_Setup.exe

The package U_XP_SET contains Folder USB_XP_Setup with 3 Programs, which you can Launch via PStart.exe
  • Make_USB.exe can Copy your XP Source to USB-Drive and can make it Bootable with LiveXP for Emergency
  • BOOT_IMG.exe Copies WinBuilder LiveXP BootSDI.img Image file to C-Harddisk or USB-Drive
    and makes Entry for boot.ini Menu and GRUB4DOS menu.lst for Booting with LiveXP PE from RAMDISK.
    This is useful as Escape Boot Option in case Booting with Windows XP or XP Setup may fail,
    so that you can Repair your System or use Ghost for System Backup and System Restore.
  • USB_XP_SETUP.exe can make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive usually C:
    and will specify in TXTSETUP.SIF where to find the FULL XP Source on partition 1 of USB-Drive
    XP Setup Source Folder must always be on USB-stick or on partition 1 of ANY Harddisk.

Direct Download - U-XP-SET

Before you Start to Install XP:
  • Prepare XP Source Folder and Live XP BootSDI.img File as described in Sections 2 and 3
  • Vista as OS requires to turn User Account Control OFF (only needed for the old Batch cmd Programs)
  • Run the SFX SelfExtractor U_XP_SET.exe and use Extract to the Root of your Workstation Harddisk
    In this way you will get on your Local Harddisk the folder U_XP_SET with PStart.exe to launch the 3 Programs
  • Copy Winbuilder\Workbench\Common\BootSDI\setupldr.bin and ramdisk.sys to USB_XP_Setup\makebt\srsp1 folder
  • Run Make_USB.exe and Select and use a FAST Target USB-stick
  • Use HP Format Tool to format Target USB-stick with NTFS FileSystem (Fastest for FileCopy)
  • Select your XP Source Folder and LiveXP RAM BootSDI.img File and Enable Copy of U_XP_SET Folder to Make your USB-stick
  • Run BOOT_IMG.exe to Copy WinBuilder LiveXP BootSDI.img Image file to C-BootDrive of Harddisk
    and make Entry for boot.ini Menu and GRUB4DOS menu.lst for Booting with LiveXP PE from RAMDISK.
    This is also useful as Escape Boot Option in case Booting with Windows XP or XP Setup may fail,
    so that you can Repair your System or use Ghost for System Backup and System Restore.
    BOOT_IMG.cmd can if needed also Create NEW IMG or ISO BOOT IMAGE Files from LiveXP / BartPE output Folder.

The XP Setup Procedure:
  • Connect USB-drive having XP Source in partition 1 (Connect before Booting with LiveXP from HDD)
  • Remove All Other USB-Drives like CardReaders and USB-Harddisks
  • Reboot from C-Harddisk and Select BootSDI.img to Boot from RAMDISK with LiveXP into PE Environment
  • Then for Fresh Install, Quick Format with NTFS your Install-Drive usually C: using Drive Explorer of LiveXP
  • Run USB_XP_SETUP.exe to make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Target Install-Drive
    Give XP Setup Source Path and Target Drive and Give LiveXP RAM BootSDI IMAGE File
    So in case when XP Setup fails, you have LiveXP as Escape Boot Option available on your Fresh Formatted Install Drive
  • If you Install on other than Active C-drive, then Use Disk Manager to Activate Install Drive Partition
  • Reboot Computer from Install Drive and Select XP Setup from boot.ini Menu
  • Proceed as usual with TXT-mode and GUI-mode of Unattended XP Setup
    In TXT-mode after FAST loading drivers the blue screen becomes black and
    then one needs to wait sufficiently until the blue screen with the Drive Partition List appears.
    Select the Install Partition usually C: and Auto proceed with FileCopy and Reboot for GUI-mode of XP Setup.
    WARNING
    Don't Delete the Install Partition, just Install on this previously in PE Quick Formatted NTFS Partition.
    Changing the Partitioning is a task which is done in LiveXP PE Environment with e.g. Acronis Disk Director 10.

The advantage of the present technique is that there are no changes needed in the BIOS Setting.
Booting for XP Setup occurs all the time as normal from the C-Install Drive if you Install on C-Drive.
Thus the USB-stick does not need to be bootable and it is not needed that the motherboard supports booting from USB.
In the case of total computer disaster it can still be handy to boot with LiveXP from USB-drive.

Another advantage is that you can use the FULL XP Source unchanged just as with Install from CD
and the $OEM$ folder is recognised and the [Unattended] section of winnt.sif file is used as normal.
Moreover USB_XP_Setup.exe allows to Select from different XP Sources on USB-Drive to be used for XP Setup.
Supports the use of BTS DriverPacks located in OEM Folder in XP Source Folder on USB-Drive
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

The NEW way of Install XP from USB AFTER booting with PE does not make use of WINNT32.EXE
In fact the only thing I do is Create the XP BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT of only 12 MB on the Install Drive
by parsing dosnet.inf and to specify in TXTSETUP.SIF where to find the FULL XPSOURCE.
XP Setup Source Folder must always be on USB-stick or on partition 1 of ANY Harddisk.
The XP Source might even be on CD/DVD, but we prefer of course to Install from fast USB-stick.
So the $WIN_NT$.~LS of about 500 MB is not made in this NEW way of Install XP from USB,
this saves time and there is no risk of loosing files during the XP Setup process.

Thanks to ilko_t I have learned how to use SetupSourcePath and SetupSourceDevice
to specify in TXTSETUP.SIF where to find the XP Source Folder, thus enabling
Alternative location of Setup files when installing from HD media
http://www.msfn.org/board/Alternative-loca...en-t119742.html

The nice thing is that once you specify the XP Source Location in TXTSETUP.SIF
you may but also must treat the XP Source the same as when it is on CD /DVD.
This means that we must use for this type of Install of XP from USB
settings in winnt.sif as MsDosInitiated="0" and floppyless="0"

How to boot with LiveXP from Harddisk using extra option in boot.ini Menu was described by me in
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...21682&st=24
Combining this technique with the possibility to make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on C-Install-Drive
by parsing dosnet.inf and to specify in TXTSETUP.SIF the XP Source location on USB-stick
has resulted in the present NEW way of Install of XP from USB AFTER booting with PE from C-Harddisk.

For Install of XP in a folder e.g. WIN51 next to existing WINDOWS folder you can use
USB_XP_Setup.exe direct from HDD without booting first into PE Environment.

Repair Install using USB_XP_Setup.exe
  • XP Setup Source Folder can be on USB-stick or on partition 1 of ANY Harddisk.
  • Connect USB-drive having XP Source in partition 1
  • Remove All Other USB-Drives like CardReaders and USB-Harddisks
  • Reboot as NORMAL from C-Harddisk, so that BIOS Resets USB-drive number
  • Run USB_XP_SETUP.exe to make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive usually C:
  • Repair Install is enabled by Disabling [Unattended] Section using ; in C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\winnt.sif file
  • Reboot Computer from Install Drive usually C: and Select XP Setup from boot.ini Menu
  • Select in TXT-mode Existing Windows for Repair and continue with GUI-mode of XP Setup

2. XP-Source Preparation - *** BEFORE YOU START Install of XP***

Take care that your XPSOURCE Folder is located on your Harddisk in a simple Path without SPACES.
Copy the Content of your Windows XP Setup CD to your XPSOURCE Folder on Harddisk

Slipstream ServicePack SP3 First Manually in your XP-SP2 Source (don't use nLite).
Siginet's RyanVM Integrator or nLite can then be used to Integrate Windows UpdatePacks in the XP-Source.
Preferred is RyanVM Integrator v1.5.3 http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?download
Or Alternatively use http://www.nliteos.com/

Windows XP UpdatePacks and Addons:
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp2.html
http://integrator.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?addons
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/

Supports the use of BTS DriverPacks located in OEM Folder on USB-Drive
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the
XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.
First use RyanVM Integrator and then use DPsBase to Improve your XP-Source.
The program supplies a Customised presetup.cmd and changes the winnt.sif file for use of DriverPacks.

When you don't use nLite, you can Copy the supplied $OEM$ folder to your XP Source folder.
Change $OEM$ folder to your needs.
CMDLINES.TXT is used for making UserAccounts and install of Registry Tweaks at T-12
Info see: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

The Complete XP-Source is Copied by Make_USB.exe to USB-Drive
Computation of Estimated XP Folder Size is used to prevent USB-stick overflow
and includes $WIN_NT$.~BT + cmpnents + I386 + AMD64 + $OEM$ + OEM Folders.

Excluding LANG and WIN98X Folders from Copy to USB can be Selected
from Make_USB.exe Main Menu, which reduces the XP-Source on USB-Drive by 135 MB

3. LiveXP BootSDI.img File Preparation - *** BEFORE YOU START Install of XP ***

Tutorial of amalux on how to create LiveXP BootSDI.img files using WinBuilder
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4111
Download LiveXP e.g. lx101408cxs from folder Projects in http://amalux.winbuilder.net/

WinBuilder U_XP_SET Script for LiveXP was made, which enables to create LiveXP BootSDI.img file
containing Pstart program launcher with USB_XP_Setup package for Install of XP from PE Environment.
So you can direct launch PStart and USB_XP_Setup.exe from the Desktop of LiveXP.

Download U-XP-SET Script

Put U_XP_SET.Script in your <WinBuilder>\Projects\LiveXP\Apps\XPSetup folder
e.g. in amalux Stable Project lx101408cxs\Projects\LiveXP\Apps\Setup
You can add a Ghost script (Ghost Plus!.script) which is very handy for System Backup and Restore.
I added also Basic > Tweaks > autoLocalization.Script made by psc and modified by Galapo,
necessary in Europe for decimal sign, from http://wimb.winbuilder.net/downloads/

For making BootSDI.img file you need XP-SP2 as Source and Switch Off your Firewall (Don't use XP-SP3 as Source).
The MassStorage DriverPack is automatically integrated in LiveXP made with WinBuilder.
ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin of Windows Server 2003 SP1 must be in <WinBuilder>Workbench\Common\BootSDI directory.
Activate Finish > Create Image > Boot SDI and Run WinBuilder.
You can Deactivate Emulation and Burn Image, since we don't need a CD for our purpose.

WARNING
In an older Stable Project lx51808cx of amalux I noticed that the Drive Letters of Harddisk Partitions
are NOT present in the makebt\dplist.txt as produced by makebt\MBRWiz.exe /list
The result is that when USB_XP_Setup.exe is used in the lx51808cx LiveXP Environment,
then identification of Harddisk Partition from Drive Letter using makebt\dplist.txt fails,
so that USB_XP_Setup.exe cannot Continue.
It is known now that Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 script in this build is causing the problem.

The Solution is to use another LiveXP BootSDI.img File e.g from Stable Project lx101408cxs
I can confirm that lx101408cxs works fine with USB_XP_Setup.exe
and Acronis True Image PE does NOT give the previously reported Drive Letter issue.

Adding U_XP_SET to your Existing LiveXP BootSDI.img File
  • Vista as OS requires to turn User Account Control OFF
  • Download and Run U_XP_SET.exe and Extract to U_XP_SET folder
  • Copy ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin of your WinBuilder\Workbench\Common\BootSDI folder
    to your U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt\srsp1 folder
  • Run U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\USB_XP_Setup.exe
  • Select just your XP Source folder to Copy some XP files to the makebt folder
    Then End USB_XP_Setup.exe with Exit
  • Run makebt\Mount_IMG.cmd and Select to Mount your BootSDI.img file in a Virtual Drive
  • Copy your U_XP_SET folder to your Virtual Drive in which you mounted BootSDI.img file
  • Use UnMount_IMG.cmd to Close the Virtual Drive and Save the Changes in your BootSDI.img file
  • Then Run U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\BOOT_IMG.exe to Install your BootSDI.img file
    as Boot Option in XP boot.ini Menu or Vista GRUB4DOS menu.lst Menu
  • Reboot and Select from the Menu to Boot with your BootSDI.img file

LiveXP + U_XP_SET

(IMG:http://wimb.winbuilder.net/downloads/ScreenShots/LXP_U_XP_SET.jpg)

=

Program Direct Download - U-XP-SET
Live XP Script Download - U-XP-SET Script
Browse Folder Downloads - http://wimb.winbuilder.net/downloads/

=
Credits:
I would like to thank ilko_t for publishing his AutoIt3 Source of WinSetupFromUSB_0-1-1.au3
at MSFN Forum http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444
Parts of WinSetupFromUSB were used for Creating Make_USB.exe

Update ChangeLog
10 December 2008
  • AutoIt3 was used to Remake 3 New GUI Programs for U_XP_SET
    BOOT_IMG.exe Make_USB.exe and USB_XP_SETUP.exe
  • If you want to use a modified ntdetect.com then put it in U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt\ folder
    The programs of U_XP_SET will use then this modified ntdetect.com instead of from your XP Source
  • WinBuilder U_XP_SET Script for LiveXP was made using MakeScript.exe of PedroLe15

=
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimb For This Useful Post:
amalux, Nuno Brito, Pacas
jaclaz
post Jul 29 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Finder

Thank(s): 161
Member No.: 2

Italy

Very, very good. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But noone has yet found the time/interest/will to answer my long time question:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=644
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2623

A .script for winbuilder or BartPE configuration to build the ABSOLUTE MINIMAL PE capable of running WINNT32.EXE... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Jul 30 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #3

Bug Catcher

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 96
Member No.: 15,072

Turkiye

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
i start winpe with .iso
copy xp setup files to C:\winsetup folder
i double click C:\winsetup\i386\winnt32.exe
then eject .iso and restart
setup started and continued with success. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Probably (havent make trial on that) same method can be used with starting livexp in bootsdi.img on usb but this time as usb is c:\ maybe before restart there maybe a need to change source line in txtsetup.sif (D:\winsetup to C:\winsetup)
(i am not sure if only changing line in txtsetup.sif is enough or not)

the method i wrote seem to me more easier than the method wimp wrote.

Please correct me if i am wrong, i still have a rookie rank. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/worship.gif)

+Quote Post
wimb
post Jul 30 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #4

Frequent Member

Netherlands

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Jul 29 2008, 05:58 PM) *
A .script for winbuilder or BartPE configuration to build the ABSOLUTE MINIMAL PE capable of running WINNT32.EXE... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Using WINNT32.EXE for making a $WIN_NT$.~LS LocalSource folder is rather ERROR sensitive.
Especially when Update Packs in XP-SP3 are Integrated it occurs that Files are not found by XP Setup.

The NEW way of Install XP from USB AFTER booting with PE does not make use of WINNT32.EXE
In fact the only thing I do is Create the XP BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT of only 12 MB on the Install Drive
by parsing dosnet.inf and to specify in TXTSETUP.SIF where to find the FULL XPSOURCE.
XP Setup Source Folder can be on USB-stick or on partition 1 of USB-HDD or second HDD-Drive.
The XP Source might even be on CD/DVD, but that was not the problem.
So the $WIN_NT$.~LS of about 500 MB is not made in this NEW way of Install XP from USB,
this saves time and there is no risk of loosing files during the XP Setup process.

The advantage of the present technique is that there are no changes needed in the BIOS Setting.
Booting for XP Setup occurs from the C-Install Drive.
In the case of XP OS the USB-stick does not need to be bootable
and it is not needed that the motherboard supports booting from USB.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 30 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Finder

Italy

OK, let me rephrase, the MINIMAL BartPE or Winbuilder to partition and format the HD and run your way to "Create the XP BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT" (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Would picoXP be enough?
Would XPCLI ? (running Swissknife for the partitioning)
Would possibly a picoXP + Swissknife?

Smaller build=faster booting time (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
wimb
post Jul 30 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Frequent Member

Netherlands

Booting with WinBuilder075 LiveXP BootSDI.img of 130 MB from HDD takes only 1 minute.
The advantage is that you have XP like environment where you can decide
e.g. to make first a Ghost Backup of your system or to do any other interesting task.

So I think the time to make the BootFolder according to the NEW procedure
is already taking the minimum amount of time and LiveXP PE supplies a full featured XP like environment. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 30 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #7

Finder

Italy

Still, if 130 Mb take 60 seconds, an XPCLI or picoXP of about 25 Mb will take something like 20 or 30 seconds. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
wimb
post Jul 30 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #8

Frequent Member

Netherlands

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Jul 30 2008, 12:38 PM) *
Still, if 130 Mb take 60 seconds, an XPCLI or picoXP of about 25 Mb will take something like 20 or 30 seconds. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

jaclaz

May be, but I would really miss the nice GUI Interface of LiveXP wth Disk Manager etc. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
The only 1 minute for booting into LiveXP PE environment is well spend time ....

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Jul 30 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Bug Catcher

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 96
Member No.: 15,072

Turkiye

@wimp:
i need a little help here, (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
What i am tryin to do is, putting all windows setup files to C:\ and start setup of xp with without winnt32.exe so it will be more automized and fast.
in my trials i got an error message: http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1052/e235hz8.png
so before USB_XP_Setup.cmd i used "bootsect.exe /nt52 C:" command so no error in picture anymore:

here what i do:
------------------------------------------
i put "USB_XP_Setup" folder to B: (ram drive)
i double click C:\USB_XP_Setup\USB_XP_Setup.cmd
i changed usb stick to usb harddisk (i tried usb stick too)
for source: X:\source_XP_SP3_ENU
for install driver: C (so in screen it shows C:)
than i press 3 and everything worked fine.

i copy X:\source_XP_SP3_ENU to C:\ and rename it XPPRO so--->C:\XPPRO

i add/change lines in C:\TXTSETUP.SIF and C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\txtsetup.sif with these information

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath = "\XPPRO\"
SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk1\partition1

i restarted from hd and choose "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
setup starts with this
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9617/001hi6.png
put hangs here:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1792/002oj6.png

so i changed lines to
SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk0\partition1
this time setup starts but stops here:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/311/003ov7.png
and continues to copy files, and after it finishes it restarts and continue setupping windows in its gui mode.
------------------------------------------

-does this utility support xpx64 and 2003x64?
-suggestion, can there be an option to use "bootsect.exe /nt52 C:" in USB_XP_Setup.cmd??
-when i try to put source as C:\XPPRO , USB_XP_Setup.cmd gave an error saying source and destination shouldnt be same, maybe there can be a WinPE_XP_Setup.cmd ???

as i say before, i am a rookie, sorry if i did sth wrong.

@jaclaz:
i can test wimb's utility at picoxp after these trials if you want (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 30 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Finder

Italy

@Lancelot
I think it would be better if you start a new thread about your "different" approach, as not to go off-topic on this one.

Thanks for the offer to do some tests, it's much appreciated. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

@wimb
You know how we have a different "design" phylosophy. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If I am allowed to make a comparison with U.S. Robotics (not the actual firm, the fictional one by Isaac Asimov), you are "traditional" in designing all-doing humanoid robots (or apps), whilst I am more like developing a number of VERY specialised non-humanoid ones, as in this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Thou_art_Mindful_of_Him

You are (BTW VERY well (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) going in the direction of adding features to do more things, I aim to remove unused or unneeded things to get to the core of requred functionality for each task. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

P.S.: XPCLI with bblean and miniexplorer + Swissknife ain't that shabby as well, as I see it. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2008 - 06:42 PM
<% BOOTLAND_FOOTER %>