Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Xp or some other kind of os on the lifedrive
sokolofskid
post Oct 6 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,864

United States

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if you could put xp on the livedrive (a pda with a built in 4gb microdrive, around 400mhz cpu, and with i think more or less than 32mb of ram) I saw that theres a way to make xp run on old pc's that somewhat have the same specs but is there a way to put xp on a lifedrive. Is there anyone who can help me? Also, please ssend me pm's if you'd like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
...Tim...
post Oct 6 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,392

Germany

QUOTE(sokolofskid @ Oct 6 2007, 02:51 AM) *
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if you could put xp on the livedrive (a pda with a built in 4gb microdrive, around 400mhz cpu, and with i think more or less than 32mb of ram) I saw that theres a way to make xp run on old pc's that somewhat have the same specs but is there a way to put xp on a lifedrive. Is there anyone who can help me? Also, please ssend me pm's if you'd like.

The "lifedrive" uses a XScale-CPU so I doubt that there would be any way to run XP on it except through some kind of CPU-Emulation.

Anyway with the 64MB of NVRAM and 416MHz it is not likely that running XP would be much fun on it.

Eventually there may be a (theoretical) chance to get Windows CE working, at least this version of Windows is approved for some other CPUs of Intel's XScale series.

Tim

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Oct 6 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Well.. Don't know about Windows CE - but why not trying out linux?

Windows XP is out of reach for the moment - would likely need a version prepared for Xscale CPU's - even thought ReactOS (Windows compatible OS) is a likely candidate to support this sort of CPU's.

In either way, I'd still recommend to try out OPIE and this way you would be able to install regular linux apps and do a lot more than a pocket PC ever can.

Here are some instructions explaining how it can be done:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8673/li...fedrive-update/

I also had a "boring" PDA back in 2003 and flashed an OPIE linux image onto it - the machine quickly became more of a real computer than a simple PDA to take apointments and listen music.

Here's a review of LifeDrive for those who don't know it: http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7840/pa...manager-review/

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Community forum · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Theme - or skin maker
7 MedEvil 506 13th October 2007 - 07:40 PM
Last post by: ankur mathur
No New Posts XP Help and Support Center
Does not start - problem solved
0 Bernhard 60 10th October 2007 - 12:09 PM
Last post by: Bernhard
Closed xp to live cd diff.
6 sokolofskid 206 10th October 2007 - 12:43 AM
Last post by: sokolofskid
No New Posts xp install from within live cd?
6 sokolofskid 253 8th October 2007 - 11:19 PM
Last post by: sanbarrow
No New Posts Some weekend entertaining sites
0 Nuno Brito 77 6th October 2007 - 10:51 PM
Last post by: Nuno Brito

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2007 - 03:11 PM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it