> driver setting in registry vs command line switch, help request
Olof Lagerkvist
post Nov 2 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6,234

Sweden

I have no idea, everything looks ok to me. Can you check if the drive gets loaded but just missing the drive letter? You would see it in the Control Panel applet listed as a drive without a driveletter in that case.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilou_gateux
post Nov 3 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 97

France

QUOTE (blobbo @ Nov 2 2007, 08:34 PM) *
Please could you give an extra explanation, Olof.

Using the example you gave at the beginning of this thread, to autostart imdisk using registry settings

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImDisk\Parameters]
"Flags0"=dword:00000200
"FileName0"="\\??\\C:\\Directory\\Images\\Nomad.img"
"LoadDevices"=dword:00000001

I tried this to replace the following command line start

imdisk.exe -a -t vm -f c:\ramdisk.img -m R:

and created the following registry keys after reading through the source of imdisk, but not fully understanding what it does.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImDisk\Parameters]
"Flags0"=dword:00000200
"FileName0"="\\??\\C:\\ramdisk.img"
"DriveLetter0"="R:"
"LoadDevices"=dword:00000001

I have also set the imdisk service to autostart using the sc command as described in your earlier post.

I have varied the FileName0 string and th DriveLetter0 string (maybe it should be a Dword?), but I cannot get the drive image to load at start up.
if I enter the same commandline as before, it works fine.

Please can you advise on what should be in the registry.

Thanks in advance.

@blobbo

I have the same issue: no drive letter assigned to the mounted image.
I finally gave up on this one and currently trying another free RamDisk for the purpose of mounting a ramdisk at boot and set %temp% and IECache data to it.

I need to use a fully operational solution at boot for a shared computer (Internet kiosk public access PC) with all temporary data stored on RamDisk not kept at shutdown.
For my own usage, i will continue to use ImDisk as it has a lot of nice other features.
Hope Olof may find why it don't works with our Windows boxes.

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Nov 3 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6,234

Sweden

QUOTE (bilou_gateux @ Nov 3 2007, 03:15 PM) *
@blobbo

I have the same issue: no drive letter assigned to the mounted image.
I finally gave up on this one and currently trying another free RamDisk for the purpose of mounting a ramdisk at boot and set %temp% and IECache data to it.

Just a couple of ideas while waiting for a better solution...

For this case, do you really need a drive letter? You could try to mount it under a subdirectory if you like (discussed earlier in this thread).

You could also try to assign the drive letter via Session Manager registry settings. Add a string value under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\DOS Devices, set the name of the string value to the drive letter followed by a colon and the value data to \Device\ImDisk0. When you reboot, the drive letter will be pointing to the first ImDisk device. The drawback is that the ImDisk driver does not "know" about this drive letter so that it can't show it for example in the Control Panel applet.
QUOTE (bilou_gateux @ Nov 3 2007, 03:15 PM) *
Hope Olof may find why it don't works with our Windows boxes.

As it looks right now the chances are not very big that I will find out what is wrong, because I cannot reproduce the problem on any of my test machines. So, I have no idea where to start looking for anything... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/dubbio.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/frusty.gif)

If anyone get any kind of clues about when this problem happens, please post as many details as possible here.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Members Who Viewed Topic Today ()

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th February 2008 - 05:22 PM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it