Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help in making BartPE bootable on Lacie 160GB USB HD
Dave Schinbeckle...
post Sep 21 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,760

Canada

I have spent a couple of days reading and experimenting with getting BartPE to boot on a Lacie USB HD. I am in IT in a small Canadian board of education and do quite a bit of disk imaging with Ghost. In the long haul it would be a major timesaver to be able to image drives directly via USB2.
I have no credentials as a programmer but have been trying to educate myself in the steps required to make this work. Specifically, I have followed many threads on the topic of bootable flash drives, because it is so popular and the subject most relevant to what I am trying to accomplish. But FAT32 poses its own problems that so far I have not been able to overcome. I am hoping that a forum member has succeeded here and has a straightforward process that they would be willing to share.
Thanks,
Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 22 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Hi Dave!

I also have a Lacie backup disk - unfortunately it's filled with backup files and I have nowhere else to move these files to safely test this idea, but have you already tried to partition the drive in two separate partitions?

This way you'd be able to make a < 2Gb sized drive and use fat32 while the other partition would hold the storage room.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dave Schinbeckle...
post Sep 25 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #3

Canada

Hi Dave!

QUOTE(Nuno Brito)
I also have a Lacie backup disk - unfortunately it's filled with backup files and I have nowhere else to move these files to safely test this idea, but have you already tried to partition the drive in two separate partitions?

I presume you mean creating a 2Gb FAT16 system partition and the rest FAT32. Never tried that on anything, actually. I guess I would use fdisk. My spider senses tell me that there would be communication problems between the two partitions. Have you tried this on anything else?

Thanks,
Dave

EDIT: by jaclaz
Added some "quote" code to make the post more readable

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 25 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 1

Portugal

I don't know about using fdisk on big sized partitions.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (maybe some other member may confirm it works)

Also have good news - checked the drive again and noticed that I had already split this drive in two partitions (I wasn't sure because it was a long while ago).

You can partition them using MMC's Disk Management but I never tried to make it bootable - if I suceed I'll let you know.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 25 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

A couple small clarifications:
1) Microsoft "original" fdisk has a number of limits, depending on versions, the one that shipped with Win98 has a known "size bug", and there is a replacement available.
Of course the most "up-to-date" of the Microsoft ones is the WinME one, but, AFAIR it still has some limit.
My suggestion is to use Free Fdisk, i.e. the one that comes with Free Dos (but that can be used with any of the DOS/Win9x/Me OS) as it is the most updated and has some added features missing from the original.
Some reference:
http://www.msfn.org/board/Corrected_FDISK_FORMAT_t85573.html
http://www.freedos.org/cgi-bin/freedos-lsm...=base/fdisk.lsm

If I am not mistaken, the 128 Gb limit or 48bit LBA addressing still applies, however.

So, it is advisable to use fdisk just to create the small 2Gb-ish partition and use a tool from Windows 2K/XP/2003 or some kind of PE for the rest.

Alternatively you can have a try with this:
http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

2) As long as the external USB device is seen by 2K/XP/2003 as "Fixed", there will be NO problems of any sort with the multiple partitions.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Dave Schinbeckle...
post Sep 26 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #6

Canada

Thanks for all the help. I grabbed the drive with both hands and tried the following:
- created 2Gb FAT16 partition with fdisk from W98
- created 158Gb FAT32 partition with fdisk from W98
- formatted 2Gb partition with FORMAT from W98
- formatted 158Gb partition with FORMAT from WinXP - 98 gave me errors.
- ran pe2usb from BartPE on 2Gb partition - no errors reported, files copied fine.

When I try to boot with the drive I am getting the following:

Try (hd0.0): FAT16: No GRLDR
Try (hd0.1): extended or non-MS: skip
ERROR

I'm not sure what GRLDR is or where it should be. Or is this an artifact from some previous failed attempt using software that makes drive modifications that reformatting did not remove?
Any help would be welcome.
Thanks,
Dave

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 26 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #7

Finder

Italy

Interesting approach. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif)

You ask for help, and then do exactly what you have been suggested NOT to do. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

For simplicity, I will call FDISK any partitioning tool and FORMAT any formatting tool.

Let us briefly recall what FDISK does:
1) It writes the MBR (Master Boot Record) code and data.
2) Code is the same on all hard disks formatted with the same FDISK tool
3) Data is peculiar to each hard disk and it depends on size of hard disk and on size of the partiions you make

And what FORMAT does:
1) It writes the bootsector (and other filesystem structures) of the selected partition, again composed of code and data
2) Code is the same on all partitions formatted with the same format tool and with the same filesystem
3) Data is peculiar to each partition, being derived (mostly) from to the data written in the MBR.

FDISK from Windows 98 does NOT properly support "big sized" partitions, and even the "fixed" version:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044/en-us
has some limits.
DO NOT use FDISK on partitions extending beyond 128 Gbyte limit.

Same limit applies to FORMAT.COM of Windows 98.

Since you appear to have a working XP install, let's start again from scratch.

The message you got about GRLDR missing means:
1) that the bootsector (or MBR) is the grub4dos one (invoking GRLDR) and that you have not a copy of GRLDR on ROOT of the first active partition.
Neither Windows 9x/Me nor Windows NT/2K/XP/2003 will ever write a MBR or bootsector invoking GRLDR, you must have used at some stage grub4dos or edited n some other ways the "normal" XP bootsector.

For peace of mind and to avoid any possible "strange" thing happening, it would be advisable if you could "wipe" the first, say, 100 sectors of the drive, by writing to it either 00's or F6's.
Any hex/disk editor will do.
Otherwise you can use the tools in the DSFOK package to create a 512*100=51,200 byte file filled with 00's and copy it to your \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEx, just search here and/or on 911CD board for posts by me with keyword "DSFOK" for more details.

1) use Windows 98 or Free Fdisk to create ONLY the 2Gb-ish partition. (create the partition as PRIMARY), reboot for the change to take effect.
2) use Windows 98 FORMAT.COM in the partition using the /S parameter (thus transferring system files to the drive)
3) try booting from the drive, it should boot to the DOS C:\> prompt

If it does not, there is a problem that needs to be troubleshooted and solved, anything below is pretty much useless if the above does not work.

What you have done is:
1) Writing the MBR (with the windows 98 MBR code)
2) Writing the boosector data and code

The code in the bootsector invokes the DOS system files IO.SYS/SDOS.SYS.

Now attach the drive to a PC running 2K/XP.
Use the 2K/XP FORMAT on the partition.
Copy to the partition three files you can find in your "internal" drive C:\:
a. NTLDR
b. NTDETECT.COM
c. BOOT.INI

Edit the BOOT.INI with Notepad in such a way that you have at least two entries in it, example (suggested) with three entries:
CODE
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on USB" /fastdetect
C:\GRLDR="Grub4dos"

First entry should boot your "normal" XP.
Second entry will give you an error about a missing file.
Third entry will give you an error about missing GRLDR (the one you already had).

(Bear with me, the above errors are foreseen)

What you have done:
1) re-written the bootsector using the 2K/XP code that invokes loader NTLDR

Try again booting from the disk, if you can see the BOOT.INI choices, is OK, if it does not boot there is a problem that needs to be troubleshooted and solved, anything below is pretty much useless if the above does not work.

Get grub4dos 0.4.2 from here:
http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome
extract from the .zip files:
grldr
menu.lst
and copy them to the partition.

What you have done:
1) added an alternate loader from the grub4dos project

Create on the partition a directory by opening a Command prompt and navigating to the USB drive, than issue command:
md minint

Copy ALL the files and directories from your BartPE \i386 directory to the \minint directory on USB drive.

(Optionally) copy to the ROOT of the USB drive DOS files IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM.

Open with Notepad menu.lst on the partition and edit from this:
title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP
fallback 1
find --set-root /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr
savedefault --wait=2

title find and load CMLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP
fallback 2
find --set-root /cmldr
chainloader /cmldr
savedefault --wait=2

title find and load IO.SYS of Windows 9x/Me
fallback 3
find --set-root /io.sys
chainloader /io.sys
savedefault --wait=2

to this:
title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP
find --set-root /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr

title find and load SETUPLDR.BIN of Windows XP
find --set-root /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN
chainloader /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN

title find and load setupldr.bin of Windows XP
find --set-root /minint/setupldr.bin
chainloader /minint/setupldr.bin

title SETUPLDR.BIN on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN

title setupldr.bin on (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /minint/setupldr.bin

title find and load IO.SYS of Windows 9x/Me
find --set-root /io.sys
chainloader /io.sys

Try again booting from the USB drive, choose "Grub4dos" in BOOT.INI choices, than experiment with the various choices you will see from within grub4dos menu.

Post results (hopefully success) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

If everything goes as expected, I will give you further instructions to "simplify" the booting process.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Dave Schinbeckle...
post Sep 26 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Canada

QUOTE(jaclaz @ Sep 26 2007, 03:32 PM) *
Interesting approach. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif)

You ask for help, and then do exactly what you have been suggested NOT to do. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Excuse me. My post #6 in this thread was in response to Nuno Brito, who suggested in post #2 that I try partitioning the drive. I completed the work before your suggestions arrived. I discovered my work was in vain, and then you explained why.

I will wipe the drive and start over. Thank you for your exhaustive post and patience with a newbie.

Dave

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 26 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Finder

Italy

QUOTE(Dave Schinbeckler)
Excuse me. My post #6 in this thread was in response to Nuno Brito, who suggested in post #2 that I try partitioning the drive. I completed the work before your suggestions arrived. I discovered my work was in vain, and then you explained why.

No prob, mate, I had guessed something like that (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Dave Schinbeckler)
I will wipe the drive and start over. Thank you for your exhaustive post and patience with a newbie.

Hmmm, If you "survive" after a few of my posts, you ain't gonna be a newbie for long. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Windows XP/2003 and Vista · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Install issues
Are grldrs in grub4Dos & distros the same?
1 B Gold 48 Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsInternational FORMAT "Y"
(looking from info from people with NON-English 2K/XP)
13 jaclaz 241 9th October 2007 - 09:21 AM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHelp debugging scripts..
Anyone with some time to help?
8 Nuno Brito 456 8th October 2007 - 12:07 PM
Last post by: Nuno Brito
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsUSB build booting from RAM
with external applications on stick
1 edborg 578 6th October 2007 - 10:27 AM
Last post by: Xtremee
No New Posts Intrusion Detection Tools
protecting your machine from intruders
2 Nuno Brito 178 29th September 2007 - 11:37 AM
Last post by: Nuno Brito

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2007 - 03:48 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it