Grub4Dos Error 19
raul
post Sep 19 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 10,692

United Kingdom

Hi, This is not a VistaPE error but a grub for dos error so this forum might not be appropriate though I am hoping some of the more experienced folks here can help.

I have a Asus P5B (ICH8, anybody else with board getting grub4dos to work?)) and am using Winbuilder 0.72 with VistaPE beta 0.09. If I make the iso without grub4dos everything works perfectly and I can boot VistaPE. If I use grub4dos and integrate Parted Magic for instance I get dropped to the grub commandline, and get and error 19 if I try to access any device with /boot tab auto completion.

I have virtualbox installed and in the VM the grub4dos iso from VistaPE works perfectly. Any ideas why I am facing a problem on the real machine? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 19 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

It could be a problem with the way the .ISO is created/burned to CD, or an incompatibility between BIOS/CD drive/grldr.

Please post more details.
I mean the problem occurs when booting from a "real" CD only, does it?

What else does grub4dos besides "Error 19"?

If I use grub4dos and integrate Parted Magic for instance

Integrated where?
How?
Which version of Parted Magic (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (I assume it is Partition Magic)?

Try instead of using grldr as no-emulation bootrecord to use a FAT12 grub4dos floppy image as El-Torito floppy emulation.

jaclaz

P.S.: I moved the post in the appropriate area

+Quote Post
raul
post Sep 19 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #3

United Kingdom

Hi Jaclaz,

I am using Imgburn to burn the iso and the CD boots perfectly in Virtualbox loading grub4dos and giving me options to boot VistaPE or PartedMagic, which indicates the cd burned ok. The problem happens only when I boot the cdrom in my real system.

On the real system when I boot from the cdrom, the grub4dos errors passes too fast for me to see and I get dropped to the commandline, as I mentioned I tried to enter the command 'chainloader /bootmgr' and other commands with tab autocomplete like 'kernel /boot/plinux/bzimage' to figure out, but grub gives 'Error 19: Could not load selected partition'. This is the only error I get.

Regarding PartedMagic, this is a script for VistaPE in the latest 009 beta by Nightman (Its a linux with gparted like gparted boot cd) and the VistaPE script gives the option to integrate with the PE iso and boot VistaPE or Parted Magic.

Parted Magic is a linux rescue CD made by apparently the same person who orginally made Gparted. I am using the version available through Winbuilder in the VistaPE 009 at http://vistape.boot-land.net/beta/

I suspect this has something to do with my board, Asus P5B and the chipset ICH8 & Jmicron ide or bios. I also tried this on the grub commandline 'cdrom --init' and grub gives some atapi error.

Ps: Sorry for posting in the wrong area

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 19 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (raul @ Sep 19 2007, 04:26 PM) *
I suspect this has something to do with my board, Asus P5B and the chipset ICH8 & Jmicron ide or bios. I also tried this on the grub commandline 'cdrom --init' and grub gives some atapi error.

Yep, it is possible that your suspect is correct, as said there are reports around grldr sometimes giving problems, but generally it is an unbootable CD, not one that boots to menu.lst and then fails accessing the drive.

It is possible that somehow the "ROOT" command (which is normally "implied" and defaults to boot media) does not work (or maybe a "ROOTNOVERIFY" is needed instead.

Try creating a .iso without any menu.lst (or add to menu.lst a default entry to command mode ) and boot from CD in command mode.

Try find ( [TAB]
to see available devices, you should have a (cd) device.

If not try cdrom --init ( and map --hook)

Try a ROOT (cd) or (cd0) before entering manually the commands you have in your normal menu.lst.

Alternatively try a ROOTNOVERIFY as above.

Post results.

Next best path to troubleshoot, as said, is to try another way to load grldr or even grub.exe.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
raul
post Sep 19 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #5

United Kingdom

Hey Jeclaz, tried what you suggested.

From the grub commandline:

1. 'find ( TAB' This gives me three devices - hd0, hd1, rd

2. cdrom --init This gives me the following message, 'No cd-roms found. Perhaps the hardware does not fully support atapi. If your cdrom uses unusual io ports please specify them with --add-io-ports=P'

3. root (cd) This gives the message 'Can't find selected device'. The same for root (cd0) and the same for rootnoverify (cd) or (cd0).

3. Find /TAB This gives me Error 19: Cannot mount selected partition. I get the same error for chainloader/bootmgr or kernel /boot/plinux/bzimage.

I presume this means that grub is not able to access the files on the cdrom. I have had lots of issues with the Jmicron ide on the Asus P5B board, this chipset is present on all Intel P965 based boards and causes plenty of problems. I did a google search hoping to find others who may have run into the same situation but with little results so far. A pain really.

+Quote Post
tinybit
post Sep 19 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Thank(s): 8
Member No.: 10,098

China

This problem is related to a BIOS bug(not known yet). Trying other grub4dos boot method (like grub.exe) won't help.

Hopefully, and it is expected, the problem can be resolved.

Maybe you can do something to help.

Just at boot time, press INSERT key as quickly as possible, and you will gain a step-by-step tracing of the grub4dos boot precess. This will display some tech info(debug info).

You may also, at the grub prompt, type
CODE
debug on
geometry (cd)
root (cd)

and post the outputs.

+Quote Post
raul
post Sep 20 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #7

United Kingdom

Hi tinybit and jaclaz, thats for coming to my assistance, this is way over my head. Did what you suggested. Pressed insert on boot. Here is the output:

1. Booting GRLDR
2. Resetting the Boot Drive...Failure
3. Turing on GATE A20 .... Success
4. Hard drives:2, int13/D0001CCC0,int15/F000F859
5. MBR total sectors warning - this is a long message about 10 lines about MBR inconsistency on my hard drives
6. Boot drive=FF,INT13/4B01/FF,err=0,drive=FF,NOT CD
7. get_cdinfo (FE),int13/4B01(FE),err=1,drive=FE,cdrom_drive ==FF
8. Starting cmain() open/default... Address, MAP Bios interface is not activated, int13/41(FF),version=0,int13/4B01(FF),err=0,drive =FF,failure
9. configfile /boot/menu.1st
10. Press any button to load config file or command line. I press a button then I get dropped to the grub commandline. And the same errors as described in my posts above. It seems grub cannnot detect or load the boot cd drive. I suspect 2 and 6 - the NOT CD part - are critical to why its not working.

+Quote Post
tinybit
post Sep 21 2007, 03:55 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

China

I find one problem:
Boot drive=FF,INT13/4B01/FF,err=0,drive=FF,NOT CD

Your BIOS uses 0xFF as the cdrom drive number. But GRUB uses 0xFF as the GRUB_INVALID_DRIVE. So this is a conflict. If it is the case indeed, we should do something(in programming) to avoid the problem.

According to
get_cdinfo (FE),int13/4B01(FE),err=1,drive=FE,cdrom_drive ==FF

you are probably using an early build. Please use 2007-08-27 or later, and use mkisofs to build the ISO:

i.e., this way(to create bootable.iso)
CODE
                        mkdir iso_root
                        cp grldr iso_root
                        mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -o bootable.iso iso_root

or this way(to create grldr.iso)
CODE
                        mkdir iso_root
                        cp grldr iso_root
                        mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -o grldr.iso iso_root

(replace cp with "copy" if in DOS/Windows)

and do the test once more.

+Quote Post
raul
post Sep 21 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #9

United Kingdom

Hey tinybit, did as you suggested. Used mkisofs version 2.01 and imgburn 2.3.2.0 to burn the iso's to cd. No luck. The bootable.iso didn't boot and the grldr.iso did boot but with an error message 'missing helper'.

Since Knoppix, Ubuntu and other live cds boot, presumably grub works on my system, but in this particular case with grub4dos my cd is not being found, this has to be an issue with jmicron or grub4dos in relation to my specific setup.

+Quote Post
tinybit
post Sep 22 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

China

Can bootable.iso/grldr.iso(and your burnt CDs) boot in a virtual machine?

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Grub4dos · Next Newest »

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2008 - 10:02 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS