Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Can I set up a ramdrive 4 iso boot?.....
post Jun 10 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #21
Technotika
Member   **
Group: Members

Thank(s): 2

United Kingdom

Hi Guys,
This forum is great and have learnt loads recently, and have successfully created some awesome usb keys for trouble shooting and repairing PC's.
However now I am where I want to be with that, I have turned my attentions towards applying my "lmtd skills" rolleyes.gif towards "USB'ing" things at work.

So far I can boot ISO's using grub4dos and syslinux quite happily, with a bit of tweaking here and there, However my latest project falls flat when it comes to the iso images I use at work.
We have a handful of different PC's that we have dvd ISO's knocking about all over the place.
We are forever burning the iso's to dvd and the office is just a mess with dvd's that work, that dont and its just a pain. USB sticks and grub4dos to the rescue I feel tongue.gif

The plan is to set up a nice USB with a grub/syslinux (or both if needed) with menus that let you select the appropriate image for the machine you are building/rebuilding. A classic use of this kind of system I feel.

Now so far I have the iso's on USB and have done a simple iso map command using "g4dos"and it goes through the process of loading but quickly fails because the iso, if being run from a dvd drive, loads a ramdrive "Q" to action something then load a GHOST image down on the system and away it goes.

I feel I can get this to work if I can apply some sort of third party ramdrive system (maybe firadisk, imdisk? from initial reading round) to the iso booting process.

The DVD's load a basic dos boot system first the load this ramdrive where they do something to get the PC name out of the bios then update the SYSPREP file so the ghost file can pick up the correct computer name.

I am quite sure if I can have some sort of ramdrive mapped as Q I can complete this task maybe just using the iso's etc.

Hope that makes sense. If it's something anyone has experience of please let me know or point me to a thread I may not have found. Other wise I can post more info if needed.

Thanks!!

smile.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Technotika   Can I set up a ramdrive 4 iso boot?.....   Jun 10 2010, 11:22 AM
- - tinybit   @shao & Peter Anvin Sorry I can't do much...   Jun 11 2010, 07:15 AM
- - Technotika   First test working but boy is it slowwwwwwwwww I...   Jun 11 2010, 08:36 AM
- - Technotika   whoops! turns out I need to tweak some other f...   Jun 11 2010, 11:21 AM
- - Technotika   now I have the CD virtualised I need to change the...   Jun 11 2010, 11:41 AM
|- - Sha0   In your GRUB4DOS menu.lst file, simply do:CODEmap ...   Jun 11 2010, 01:21 PM
- - Technotika   sorry ignore me googled ghost command line switche...   Jun 11 2010, 01:24 PM
- - Technotika   Hey thats a great idea, forget that then im adding...   Jun 11 2010, 01:39 PM
- - Technotika   title test map /winb98se.IMA (fd0) map /SR3_1_Thin...   Jun 11 2010, 01:43 PM
|- - Sha0   QUOTE (Technotika @ Jun 11 2010, 09:43 AM...   Jun 11 2010, 01:48 PM
- - Technotika   yeah I need to remaster the iso to include eltorit...   Jun 11 2010, 02:35 PM
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Boot with SYSLINUX
9 mrt_doulaty 490 Today, 07:04 AM
Last post by: mrt_doulaty
No New Posts Boot-loader for INT 0x13 mapping non-contiguous files
5 supaJ 168 Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Last post by: supaJ
No New Posts Boot Grud4dos from SARDU
3 Wile.E.Warrigal 173 Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Last post by: Wile.E.Warrigal
No New Posts Booting iso from 2nd USB partition
2 flok3r 211 14th June 2010 - 05:05 PM
Last post by: flok3r
No new Boot windows from extended partition
41 xpt 2,200 13th June 2010 - 10:58 AM
Last post by: karyonix

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum