Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

164 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Since when does USB-Hotplug not work anymore?
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 22 2009, 04:54 PM

Platinum Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 2,192

I know english isn't your mother langugae, so let me rephrase what i wrote before.

[qoute]No PE, not Naughty, not Live, not Bart have working hotplug when no HDD like drive exists at bootup.[/quote]
HDD like drive, includes internal and external HDD, USB-Sticks and ramdisks.

cheers.gif

Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82360 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 22 2009, 03:22 PM

Platinum Member

No, i have no W2k3.
I also do not see how this can make any difference. It appearantly is a driver loading issue.
Writing the driver into the registry by default, should make it always work.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82354 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 22 2009, 01:04 PM

Platinum Member

Ran a bunch of tests.

No PE, not Naughty, not Live, not Bart have working hotplug when no HDD like drive exists at bootup.
Rerunning HwPnP once the USB-Stick is connected solves this problem.
Seems a needed driver does not get loaded.

Why i initialy had this problem with a computer having a HDD is still a mystery, but couldn't be replicated.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82345 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 22 2009, 12:50 PM

Platinum Member

From what i know about the W2k3 ramboot, it doesn't always use 512MB no matter how big the image, but always adopts the used ram to the image size, unless the image is bigger then 512MB.

This behavior, together with your found fact that images bigger 512MB are possible with the driver, suggest that M$ has put a limiter into setupldr, like it has done so with other files.

If setupldr would simply use 512MB RAM even if the image is bigger, it would be likely that some function needs to be adopted.

Imo, the limiter idea is more likely, since it is also used in FBWF.

cheers.gif
  Forum: FileDisks/RamDisks: Firadisk, etc. · Post Preview: #82342 · Replies: 9 · Views: 2,496

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 22 2009, 11:32 AM

Platinum Member

If there is an error message, which you didn't say, then one could find the part that needs to be patched easily by backtracking from the error message.
If there is no error message, looking for the number the image size is compared to, should do the trick.

cheers.gif
  Forum: FileDisks/RamDisks: Firadisk, etc. · Post Preview: #82337 · Replies: 9 · Views: 2,496

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 21 2009, 11:39 PM

Platinum Member

Sorry, i'm a bit behind in ramboot things.
What exactly happens when one tries to load an image bigger than 512MB?

cheers.gif
  Forum: FileDisks/RamDisks: Firadisk, etc. · Post Preview: #82321 · Replies: 9 · Views: 2,496

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 19 2009, 06:46 PM

Platinum Member

Lancelot couldn't you just post in that topic which version is required, instead of that pick any version to download and then overwrite it with the right one?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82159 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 19 2009, 05:01 PM

Platinum Member

Ok, will run a test with LiveXP.
Would be nice if it's just a NaughtyPE problem. Much easier to fix if one of the Pe's is properly working. wink.gif

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82150 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

Generic out-of-place Winbuilder question
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 19 2009, 02:34 PM

Platinum Member

From English As She Is Spoke

Sentence in Portuguese
Bem sei o que devo fazer ou me compete.

Given translation
I know well who I have to make.

Idiomatic translation
I know very well what I have to do and what my responsibilities are.

I think the Given Translation was pretty close to the real thing, which is: I know well, who I have to do. laugh.gif

cheers.gif
  Forum: Community forum · Post Preview: #82144 · Replies: 13 · Views: 349

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 19 2009, 10:07 AM

Platinum Member

Yes and no. On one computer there is one on another there wasn't.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82116 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 19 2009, 12:03 AM

Platinum Member

Attached today for the first time in ages my USB Stick after bootup of NaughtyPE and it didn't show up like it used to do.

Since i remember that LiveXP has some Mounting program for USB-Sticks, i guess that Hotplug isn't working there anymore eighter. ?

Can someone maybe pinpoint, around when this stoped working?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Support · Post Preview: #82094 · Replies: 12 · Views: 327

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 18 2009, 11:54 PM

Platinum Member

After tweaking the smaller one of the two notebooks a bit, i've got it down to just 21 Watt with Display still attached. So i guess 16Watts without it.
Threw all drives out and used a CF card as boot drive.
As OS i use a 300MB XP/PE with shutdown once - resume many and with just 128MB of RAM that goes lightning fast, even on an old system. wink.gif
Unfortunately it seems i need to upgrade to 256MB. sad.gif

Still looking into maybe getting a CPU which needs less power, but so far i can't confirm what processing performance they have, compared to their desktop cousins.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #82092 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 13 2009, 11:20 AM

Platinum Member

Notebook with PIII 1000MHz, 256MB, DVD-Rom, no HDD, TFT still attached, booted with NaughtyPE

- idleing at 27Watt
- watching avi movie = 37-40Watt
- highest recorded peak 42Watt (during startup)

Again everything measured at the walloutlet.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81708 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

trying to make the smallest windows that can run portables
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 11 2009, 05:18 PM

Platinum Member

There are two ways to reach your goal, eighter make your Windows fit the portables or make the portables fit your windows. idea.gif

No idea what kind of portables you wanna run, but 700MB that's a fullfeatured XP without the fluff.

cheers.gif
  Forum: LiveXP · Post Preview: #81503 · Replies: 2 · Views: 213

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 11 2009, 05:11 PM

Platinum Member

QUOTE (bilou_gateux @ Oct 11 2009, 03:48 PM) *

About 20Watt sounds good. Do you own one of those? How is the performance?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81500 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 11 2009, 05:01 PM

Platinum Member

Notebook with 2.5Ghz P4 (non mobile!), 512MB Ram, DVD-ROM, no HDD, but Display still attached, booted with NaughtyPE = idleing at 36Watt, watching avi movie = 47-50Watt, highest recorded peak 75Watt (while switching from BIOS to XP drivers)
All measured at the walloutlet.

Read that one of those little Navi-thingies eats about 15Watt.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81497 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 11 2009, 10:31 AM

Platinum Member

So the main reason for this project is to enable Linux to use Windows drivers.
Didn't knew that Linux has still trouble getting drivers from the manufacturers.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Linux and other OS flavours · Post Preview: #81459 · Replies: 9 · Views: 431

MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 10 2009, 07:01 PM

Platinum Member

I don't get the point of this project.
I can have 1 Kernel for both, but would still need to have both Linux and Windows systemfiles. So what's the advantage over having a Linux and a Windows system?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Linux and other OS flavours · Post Preview: #81414 · Replies: 9 · Views: 431

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 10 2009, 06:54 PM

Platinum Member

I assume that those are read speeds, right?

Would be very interested in the power consumption of your system and maybe a benchmark.
I've looked today a bit around and could not find a single Netbook without active cooling, so your system would have to use even less power and probably deliver also less computing power.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81413 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 10 2009, 11:05 AM

Platinum Member

Interesting that you pick to look at the theoretical data, i looked at the power consumtion tests and there the computer with the Atom CPU clocks in above 60Watts. (slightly worst than the VIA)

As for the licencing. The same rules apply imo as for all human made laws, ignore how it is written and stick with how it is used in real life. Those two are seldom identical.
A pretty stupid and confusing system imo, but untill i can change that, i just go with the flow and let my attorney set everyone straight, that has a problem with that. wink.gif

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81384 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 9 2009, 11:14 PM

Platinum Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Points #6, #9, #10 and probably #11 in the above document may represent the (bad) "news".

I don't really care about that. As long as M$ excepts the use of the serial number of one computer on another and does not even complain about me using a shop bought XP home CD for install, instead of the one that came with the computer, i see this as their way of being ok with my use of the licence.

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Both will need LOTS more power when compared to an Atom based solution, Atom was devised exactly to reduce power consumption (please read as increase battery use of notebooks).

Strange, from reading the links you've provided, i've got the impression that both, but at least the P3, would use less power.

My desktop system with 2 HDD, a P4 and a grafikscard uses when idleing 61 Watts and that with an elcheapo power supply from 2002!
My server with a P2 350MHz, onboard graphics and just 1 HDD. Uses between 30 and 32 Watts to do his job.
All measured AC.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81373 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 9 2009, 10:21 PM

Platinum Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2009, 10:37 PM) *
And again, casually, NOT one of the mentioned ones:
http://www.fit-pc.it/Scopri-i-fit-pc/fit-P...it-PC2-Diskless
http://www.fit-pc.it/Scopri-i-fit-pc/fit-PC2/fit-PC2-Value

More generally most "industrial" PC's or mini/pico ITX thingies will actually come WITHOUT any OS.

I was not referring to the assorted computers you've listed, but to the reason why i have too many licences.

I won't even mention the differences between "full" and "OEM" Windows licences. (the ones that come with "every new computer")

I know there are differences between full and OEM CD, but a difference between full and oem licences would be news to me.

VERY roughly, I would say that an Atom @1600 is more or less similar to a Pentium M @10001200 which should be faster than a pentium III @1000:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/270

I have now 2 used Notebooks to checkout here.
A 1000MHz P3 which suffered from a dying HDD when it was replaced. So should be in working order, but i doubt that it is fast enough.
And a P4 with 2GHz which was sorted out, after the display was cracked due to sitting on it wink.gif, but no word if that's really the only problem.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81365 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 9 2009, 09:02 PM

Platinum Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2009, 09:15 PM) *
I don't think that there will be any advantage in loading in ramdisk or keeping the "memory card" powered up, of course speed will be much faster, once booted.
Be aware that a memory card speed is - generally speaking - very low.
An SSD is faster than a HDD, but a HDD is usually much faster than, say, a CF card mounted on an adpter like these:
http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_mem...er/adsahdcf.asp

Yes i was thinking about one of these, will check on SSD.

Memory cards, if used just for reading used to consume less power than RAM, but in R/W mode they used to use more power than RAM.
Have you any idea if that still holds true?

or you need Professional for any reason? dubbio.gif

I do not need any flavour of XP with the computer, i have licences for home and professional to burn.
Every new computer comes with a new licemce, if you need one or not. realmad.gif

What Atom CPU would be the equivalent to a P3 1000MHz?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81351 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 9 2009, 06:30 PM

Platinum Member

The computer will mostly be idleing doing just some low priority tasks, that even a slow Pentium could do without breaking a sweat.
My concern ist about a 'realtime' app i plan to have running in the background.
When it needs to do it's job, it needs the power to do it in the right amount of time.
A optimized P3 1000MHZ Desktop PC is fast enough. 800MHz and there are already drop outs. So that's the bare minimum processing power.

Power wise i was aiming at a system without a HDD, but rather some memory card attached to the IDE or SATA bus.
The question i'm pondering still is, if it is better power wise to load the whole system into ram and use the memory card just for booting or to scale the RAM down to the least amount needed and use of the meory card like a HDD in a normal system.

Testing on the target system the actual app?

Which is of course not possible, unless i buy a wagonload of computers.
For one, nobody let's me install software on their computers in the shop and second there are no systems that come with XP anymore.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81342 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

portable Computer
MedEvil
Posted on: Oct 9 2009, 04:27 PM

Platinum Member

Those little servers, i just don't trust them to have enough power for anything but turning a few pages out every once in a while.

The idea about refinancing the project by selling the not needed parts is actually good and potentialy enables the use of a more costly base system.

How can i figure out how much computing power i need?

Don't think there exists a standardized computing power measurement system, to easily compare different systems, or does it?

cheers.gif
  Forum: Hardware compatibility / drivers · Post Preview: #81336 · Replies: 21 · Views: 913

164 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

No New Posts  No New Replies
Hot topic  Hot Topic (New)
No new  Hot Topic (No New)
Poll  Poll (New)
No new votes  Poll (No New)
Closed  Locked Topic
Moved  Moved Topic