Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Reply to this topic
 SetPageFile, create pagefile under livexp (and probably vistape)
post Sep 4 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #1
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 380

Turkiye

If a utility needs a pagefile, now you have it. smile.gif

SetPageFile is Paraglider's plugin for BartPE (also in .script file), I only wrote a script to use SetPageFile with LiveXP.

**For now SetPageFile dont work with Imdisk ermm.gif (see gui), and dont work with USB Stick (pendrive)
Works with realhd thumbup.gif (see picture)
(only tested with LiveXP)

Download SetPageFile Script

I hope you like it smart.gif

For More information about SetPageFile.exe look here:
Paraglider Home Page
Paraglider Plugin Page
Paraglider Plugin Page SetPageFile Usage

--------------------

1 user(s) said "Thank you!" to Lancelot for this fantastic post:
Nuno Brito
+Quote Post
post Sep 4 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #2
JonF
Gold Member   *****

Thank(s): 197

United States

Interesting. I'll try it out ... when I can.

I wonder if Joshua's PreShell could be ported? That's what I really need; a decision on how big a RAMdisk to set up and whether or not to set up a page file at boot time. Once in a while (once just a few weeks ago) I have to boot on a 128 MB system, and I once booted BartPE on a 64 MB system and managed to do some real work.
+Quote Post
post Sep 4 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #3
Nuno Brito
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 311

Portugal

Cool script for pendrives!

Thank you.. thumbup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Sep 4 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #4
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

JonF

When some additions made to imdisk, it is possible to make a pagefile on ramdrive during startup to solve issue of "pagefile required" with lots of ready ram (which was my first intention),

here is what Galapo wrote before about this:
I think the reason why the pagefile cannot be created on ramdrive in LiveXP is that default ramdrive is created by ImDisk. ImDisk disks aren't listed under 'System\MountedDevices' and so the pagefile is not created.

I wonder if Joshua's PreShell could be ported? That's what I really need; a decision on how big a RAMdisk to set up and whether or not to set up a page file at boot time.

a cmd shell may be designed for this purpose (to ask at startup), you may use one of the .cmd files which i already put shorcuts to "startmenu\System\SetPageFile_CMD\...."

-
For low ram cases, For pendrive,
I havent tried, but probably putting livexp on usb, and adding SetPageFile_zz_systemdrive.cmd to startup (or you may already use shortcut on startmenu\System\SetPageFile_CMD\....) may solve some ram issues.
-
For low ram cases, For cd,
if you have a writable real disk partition, why not try one of startmenu\System\SetPageFile_CMD\.... shortcuts, or maybe SetPageFile directly and see if it works for you????

I left decision of using pagefile manual and to ease setting pagefile i put some ready to use .cmd with shorcuts. I hope this works for you.

Nuno
thumbup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Oct 31 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #5
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 40

For pendrive,
I havent tried, but probably putting livexp on usb, and adding SetPageFile_zz_systemdrive.cmd to startup (or you may already use shortcut on startmenu\System\SetPageFile_CMD\....) may solve some ram issues.

? do you have found a way to use setpagefile.exe against a USB-disk or stick ?

If yes - please explain

Thanks Ulli
+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #6
paraglider
Silver Member   ****

Thank(s): 90

United States

SetPageFile only validates the drive being fixed if using its gui. Otherwise all it requires is QueryDosDevice to return the dos device name for the the drive letter and for the kernel function NtCreatePagingFile to actually create the page file. The file name passed to the page file create function is formatted like <DosDeviceName>\<fileName> e.g. \Device\HarddiskVolume1\pagefile.sys

Don't see the point in creating a page file on a ram drive. The idea of a page file is to swap program memory to disk so you free up memory for other programs. Swapping memory to memory does not gain you anything.
+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2008, 05:13 AM
Post #7
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

QUOTE (sanbarrow @ Oct 31 2008, 09:40 PM) *
? do you have found a way to use setpagefile.exe against a USB-disk or stick ?

If yes - please explain

Sorry, i just tried, no. I put a note to avoid misunderstaning in first post. Thanks for me noticing this. I didnt have a USB-stick to test the time i put this script.

Ps: sorry Nuno. sad.gif

QUOTE (paraglider @ Nov 1 2008, 03:42 AM) *
Don't see the point in creating a page file on a ram drive. The idea of a page file is to swap program memory to disk so you free up memory for other programs. Swapping memory to memory does not gain you anything.

I agree. Only point is in cases a utility checks for a pagefile to startup. Luckly utilites dont do that. So far i found only photoshop55 does that which is not important for pe usage.

btw, Thanks a lot for everything paraglider smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum