Krokodox
post Jun 18 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 4
Member No.: 15,807

Sweden

Hi all,

After a couple of days of tinkering with WinBuilder / LiveXP I finally managed to get a server to boot a LiveXP .ISO via LAN from a PXE / TFTP server. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/hyper.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/punk.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/showoff.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

The solution was quite simple; all it needs is a good TFTP / DHCP / PXE server configuration, a couple of files and the Microsoft RAMDisk added to the build. I will document this and make it available for everyone on the site provided by Nuno Brito at http://krokodox.winbuilder.net.

I have already uploaded my scripts for Remote Administrator Server, WMI services, Notepad2 and a description on how to setup Microsoft PXE / TFTP / DHCP servers for PXE booting. All that is missing is the document for how to make a LiveXP .ISO to boot, but that should be uploaded today.

//K
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Krokodox For This Useful Post:
Nuno Brito
yurry
post Jul 23 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 16,814

Slovenia

Hello!

Firs of all I would like to point out that I am using a linux server for the PXE end of things. I believe that this should not affect the overall functioning of the system. I do, however, have the following problem...

I have read the tutorial but unfortunately I don't have a Server 2003 SP1 CD (it is a very specific demand). I do have server 2003 (without SP1). I also have some XP distributions. As it might be expected the entire thing does not work. Do you think it is an issue due to the source CD? I have so far only tried with XP.

I cant even get to the boot stage. The errors start when the client gets the NTLDR file from the server. I have tried to use a NTLDR file from 2 different distributions. One than asks for the boot.ini file, the other (the one from the Server 2003 CD) gives me a bright flashy screen full of funny symbols (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I can boot a debian distribution without problems over PXE, so this is not an issuie.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 23 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #3

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

It may be a very specific demand, but if you do not use those files, it won't work. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It's just like lemon juice, you can try making it using cucumbers instead of lemons, but the juice won't be the same. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Get the Server 2003 SP1, and get the specific files:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

They are NOT "negotiable".

Please note that:
Server 2003 files DO NOT work
Server 2003 SP1 files are KNOWN to work
Server 2003 SP2 files are reported to NOT work on a number of setups
Server 2003 R2 files are reported to work

No XP versions of the files have ever been reported to be working.

jaclaz

N.B.: "Traditionally" three files are needed:
SETUPLDR.BIN or SETUPLDR.EX_
NTDETECT.COM
RAMDISK.SYS

Further tests have shown that ANY XP/2003 version of NTDETECT.COM work, and that SOME recent versions of RAMDISK.SYS do work.

+Quote Post
yurry
post Jul 23 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Slovenia

Thank you for the quick reply!

I presume these files need to be placed in the default tftpboot directory. They are not mentioned in the original tutorial, tough. I am still very new to making windows bootable images.

Thank you also for the link to the Server 2003 SP1 files. I have read in the tutorial that this CD is also required as the source for the building of the LiveXP image. For that I would need the whole CD, or maybe will it work if I just replace with the files from the patch? Is the Server 2003 SP1 CD really also necessary for building the image? I can get the boot files from the patch.

I will try some patching of my original CD tomorrow.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 24 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #5

Finder

Italy

AFAIK LiveXP works allright with XP SP2 sources.

For Ramdisk (or PXE) booting you need some files from server 2003 SP1.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
sircolin
post Jul 25 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,846

United Kingdom

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Jul 24 2008, 11:26 AM) *
AFAIK LiveXP works allright with XP SP2 sources.

For Ramdisk (or PXE) booting you need some files from server 2003 SP1.

jaclaz

Hi Everyone !

I am also try to get nix to play nice with windows i am trying to make a boot menu that will do the follwing

PXE Boot Into

Windows Xp --??
PE Enviroment -- ??
Debian Etch -- Compleated
PxeKinfe -- Compleated
Acronis -- Compleated
ThinStation -- Compleated

I have a fully functional pxe server tested n working.

my question is which sources to take from win2003 and which ones from winxp for a pxeboot jaclaz, Krokodox? , Aslo will your script Krokodox will it run on a quadcore machine or should i used a single dual core to compile this live cd ?

thanks col

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 26 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #7

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (sircolin @ Jul 25 2008, 08:06 PM) *
my question is which sources to take from win2003 and which ones from winxp for a pxeboot jaclaz, Krokodox?

Re-read, SLOWLY (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) post #3, or ANY thread about RAMDISK booting.

PXE booting is a "particular" form of RAMDISK (often called improperly SDI booting on this forum) booting, where the booting image is loaded from the external server, in other words, you should be able to RAMDISK boot from a local image, and then change your setup to boot from an image downloaded from network.

You need to understand how the first works, in order to get the second working.
Read these two threads by aec:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=10482&hl=
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=19333&hl=

jaclaz

+Quote Post
sircolin
post Jul 26 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,846

United Kingdom

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Jul 26 2008, 10:25 AM) *
Re-read, SLOWLY (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) post #3, or ANY thread about RAMDISK booting.

PXE booting is a "particular" form of RAMDISK (often called improperly SDI booting on this forum) booting, where the booting image is loaded from the external server, in other words, you should be able to RAMDISK boot from a local image, and then change your setup to boot from an image downloaded from network.

You need to understand how the first works, in order to get the second working.
Read these two threads by aec:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=10482&hl=
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=19333&hl=

jaclaz

Thanks for the advice i will do some more reading thanks

+Quote Post
yurry
post Jul 29 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #9

Slovenia

In this past few days I have done a lot of image building. I have finally come up with a SDI image, that has all the driver support. It boots from a CD into ram with no problems. But when I try to boot this from PXE I get a "status 14" error. txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupted, it tells me. This was done, using an XP SP2 as source. I have leeched all the neccessary files from the Server SP1 update jaclaz provided. I have manuly copied the files in krokodox's script (xcopy, tftp ...), as the script broke my txtsetup.sif and always reported an error in the ramdisk section of the file.

I have then tried the proper way of doing things and built from Server SP1 source, but the result is that as soon as windows start (I see the wallpaper already), the system goes into reboot. This does not happen when building from XP SP2 source.

So my question here is:
What is so different with PXE, that it wont boot the same image as from the CD?

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jul 29 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #10

Finder

Italy

Post your WINNT.SIF

And attach the dir.txt file resulting from a DIR R:\ >C:\dir.txt
(supposing you mounted the image as R:\ with imdisk or VDK)

In some (VERY RARE actually (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) the Message "Status 14: txtsetup missing or corrupt" actually means that txtsetup.sif is REALLY missing or corrupt.

Two things to try, just to make sure that this remote possibility is not true:
1) copy to the image an untouched txtsetup.sif from your windows XP SP2 (or expanded from txtsetup.si_)
2) copy it to BOTH the root of the image and to the \I386 directory

I have seen txtsetup.sif not working only because of a space or a tab.....

Of course that won't boot, but if you get past the "Status 14" makes sure this is the direction into which investigations are to be carried.

Double check the "original" Macfox thread:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=9685&st=0
maybe some step has been missed

The "SYSTEM" directory you are using is \I386, right? (NOT \minint) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Another attempt that you can do is to use SETUPLDR.BIN/SETUPLDR.EXE modified as to boot ANYWAY \I386.

You will need to hexedit SETUPLDR.EXE and remove the checksum or re-create it.

For the record, SETUPLDR.EXE is a SETUPLDR.BIN with first 19632 bytes of code stripped.

See here:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=17504
http://www.msfn.org/board/SOLVED-Install-M...20-t114543.html
http://www.msfn.org/board/Solution-for-mul...-64-t58410.html
(please note that the above is tested and working for "Setupldr.bin", but not AFAIK for SETUPLDR.EXE, your mileage may vary (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

jaclaz

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · nativeEx & LiveXP · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2008 - 09:14 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS