Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

steve6375

Developer

Profile Views: 42*
Local Time: Jun 16 2010, 11:29 PM 351 posts (0.54 per day)
Viewing Topic: RMPrepUSB - Bootable USB format utility

steve6375 doesn't have a personal statement currently.
http://www.rm.com

Personal Photo
Personal Info
Contact Information

steve6375
Frequent Member
Age Unknown
Male
UK
Birthday Unknown
AIM No Information
Yahoo No Information
ICQ No Information
MSN No Information
Contact Private

Topics
Files E2T
Comments
Friends
My Content
24 May 2010
Has anybody else noticed that the Boot-land gif in the top banner http://www.boot-land.net/portal/images/bootland_logo.gif does not always show???
16 May 2010
Please see http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=99260 for details.

This first Post #1 will be kept up to date and contain summary of progress and latest version.

The work should be quite simple for anyone (no programming experience required) and you can test the results instantly.

For example, if you can speak German...

1. Download RMPrepUSB from the link above
2. Copy the English.ini file to your chosen language - e.g. copy English.ini to Deutsch.ini
3. Edit the new Deutsch.ini file to change the text on the right of the = signs into German
4. Run RMPrepUSB.exe and select Deutsch from the language box
5. Check all buttons and text and Help text
6. Edit Deutsch.ini as required if needed and save file
7. Click on 'Deutsch' box again and it will autoload the new changes and test again
8. When finished, upload to Boot-Land in your post.

Don't forget to put your name in the INI file as a comment.

I will update the next version of RMPrepUSB with your INI file.

I already have volunteers for so far (but not yet received dry.gif ) (please check both threads as I can't keep this up to date quick enough!):

Dutch
Turkish
German
Dutch
PT Brazilian
Indonesian

List of INI files actually received so far (11 June 2010):

Chinese Traditional.ini
Chinese Simplified.ini
English.ini
Espaol.ini
French.ini
Italian.ini
Polski.ini
Portugues.ini
Romanian.ini
Russian.ini
Swedish.ini

I am looking for any others??? If anyone has any INI files and they cannot include the download in their post, you can use www.mediafire.com or similar and include the link in the post.

Latest Version here http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb
version 2.0.809

Note: version 2.0.806 and later require RICHTX32.OCX file, this is included in the download and can be installed on your Windows PC using the script which is also included.

Includes original Word doc PDF source file in LANG folder.
If you click on Help and then OK, and you have a Deutsch language selected, RMPrepUSB_Deutsch.pdf will be launched instead of RMPrepUSB.PDF, so if you feel really bored you can also provide a fully translated PDF in your own language! You can use CutePDF to save the document as a PDF from Word if you like.
9 May 2010
I just found yesterday that if I format a USB flash drive as FAT32 + Boot as HDD (creates 2 partitions) + Force use of LBA calls, then I get the error message that grldr cannot be found it is also apparent when the grub boot loader searches the partitions, that it does not see the USB partition as a FAT partition at all (HD0,0) NON-ms SKIP!

If I omit the Force use of LBA calls option then it works fine.

The Force use of LBA switch changes the partition table values in the MBR so that the CHS values are set to maximum but the LBA values are not changed. Windows and DOS and FreeDos have no problem with this, just the grub boot code.

I am using GRUBINST to install the boot code (date 1 Jan 2008 61749 bytes).

01B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 0E 37 51 AD 00 00 80 FE ........ 7Q..
01C0 FF FF 0C FE FF FF 3F 00 - 00 00 F5 BE 0C 00 00 FE .?. .....
01D0 FF FF 21 FE FF FF 34 BF - 0C 00 3F 00 00 00 00 00 !4 ..?.....
01E0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........ ........
01F0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 AA ........ ......U

========= END OF SECTOR DATA ================

Partition 1 (SIZE=0.398GB) Type: C FAT32LBA (2047GB max) ACTIVE
START POS = CYL:1023 HD:254 SEC:63 END POS = CYL:1023 HD:254 SEC:63
START (LBA) = 63 (3F) SIZE (LBA) = 835317 (CBEF5)

Partition 2 (SIZE=0.000GB) Type: 21
START POS = CYL:1023 HD:254 SEC:63 END POS = CYL:1023 HD:254 SEC:63
START (LBA) = 835380 (CBF34) SIZE (LBA) = 63 (3F)
28 Mar 2010
I want to use grdldr and menu.lst to select a number of different Winpe boot.wim files all versions of Winpe v2.
Say I have 1.wim 2. wim and 3.wim.

I could do this using BCDedit, or multiple iso files, however I want to do it using flat folders and a grub4dos menu.lst menu.

Any ideas how I can do this (if possible)?
It would be easy if grub had a rename command, I could simply rename 1.wim to boot.wim and then chainload bootmgr to boot.
27 Mar 2010
How to make a bootable MS-DOS+FreeDOS+WinPEv2+BartPE UFD using RMPrepUSB

A simple 'getting you started' guide to booting different OSs from the same USB flash drive.
This example does not use ISOs and is thus quite simple to work with.

Aim
The steps below show you how to make a USB Flash Memory drive (UFD) that shows a menu and you can choose to boot to either:

MS-DOS (Windows 98 version or later)
FreeDOS
WinPE v2 or v2.1 or V3 (of a Vista or Win 7 DVD or any similar OS that uses bootmgr)
BartPE

You can omit any of these you like if you do not want to add them.

Instead of WinPEv2 you could simply use the contents of a Windows 7 install DVD.

Equipment

A USB Flash Memory drive big enough (e.g. 4GB)
RMPrepUSB v2.0.734 or later from www.Boot-Land.net

Various OS system files:
MS-DOS - you need IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM
FreeDOS - you need KERNEL.SYS and COMMAND.COM
WinPE v2+ - you will need to download the Microsoft WAIK (e.g. Win 7 WAIK is recommended) and make a bootable WinPE flat file folder.
Just install the WAIK, run copype x86 C:\mynewfolder, then copy the C:\mynewfolder\winpe.wim file to C:\mynewfolder\ISO\sources\boot.wim
BartPE - You will need an XP Pro XP SP2 or SP3 MS install CD - copy it to C:\XPCD. Then download PeBuilder and run it.

Method

The key here is to create a filesystem that all the above Operating Systems can access. This will be FAT32. FAT16 has a maximum of 2GB and NTFS is not understood by MS-DOS.

The followings steps are all done on a PC or notebook using a Windows XP/Vista/Win7 (32-bit or 64-bit) OS

1. Insert your UFD and run RMPrepUSB v2.0.734
2. Note that some buttons in RMPrepUSB are labelled 1 to 6, set these as follows:
1. Size - leave as MAX unless you are planning to duplicate the whole UFD as an image file.
If you are going to be replicating it as an image choose a size that will work on all the types of UFD that you are going to use, e.g. if you are going to use 4GB UFDs, choose 3800.
2. Volume Label - (your choice!)
3. Boot options - MS-DOS
4. Filesystem and overrides - FAT32 + Boot as HDD + Force use of LBA calls
5. COPY FILES - tick the box and set the folder to point to any of you source folders.
If you set the BartPE folder as the source folder then also tick the BartPE to USB box

6. Click on Prepare Drive
7. When it has finished, click on the Install Grub Bootloader button

3. Now you need to copy over all of the OS boot files that you did not copy over using RMPrepUSB. For instance:
For FreeDOS, copy over KERNEL.SYS and COMMAND.COM to the root of the UFD (included in RMPrepUSB download)
For MS-DOS copy over IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM to the root of the UFD (note: if you have both FreeDOS and MS-DOS, use the MS-DOS version of COMMAND.COM)
For BartPE (if not copied over using RMPrepUSB previously), copy the \PeBuilder3011a\BartPE folder to the UFD. Then run a Windows command shell and type RMPREPUSBXP H: (where H: is the UFD drive letter). Check you have a \MININT folder and a \Programs folder and that NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR are in the root.
For WinPe copy over the source files (e.g. C:\mynewfolder\ISO) to the UFD root (e.g. you should have H:\Boot, H:\Sources, H:\EFI and the file H:\bootmgr present)
4. Now you need to use NotePad to make a file called menu.lst in the UFD root for Grub to use. An example one is shown below. Just omit any that you are not going to add.

title Load MSDOS
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/io.sys

title Load Free-DOS
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/kernel.sys

title Load WinPE
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/bootmgr

title Load BartPE
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr

5. Add any extra files or folder you like to your UFD.

6. Check you UFD files are all present and correct (see list in step 4) - here is a minimum list if you want all four (folders in capitals):
grldr
menu.lst

io.sys
Command.com
kernel.sys

boot
EFI
SOURCES
bootmgr

PROGRAMS
MININT
ntldr
ntdetect.com

7. In RMPrepUSB click on the Eject button and exit RMPrepUSB - now go try it!

Extras
Options
Options
Interests
computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guit ars
Other Information
Last Visitors

7 Jun 2010 - 15:01

2 Jun 2010 - 20:24

30 May 2010 - 23:55
AiZ

30 May 2010 - 17:57

29 May 2010 - 14:30

28 May 2010 - 20:58

27 May 2010 - 10:02

21 May 2010 - 18:31

11 May 2010 - 23:04
psc

5 May 2010 - 8:29
Comments
Other users have left no comments for steve6375.
Friends
There are no friends to display.
* Profile views updated each hour