Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Rick

Members

Profile Views: 2*
Local Time: Jun 22 2010, 01:40 AM 6 posts (0.01 per day)

Rick doesn't have a personal statement currently.
Visit My Website

Personal Photo
Personal Info
Contact Information

Rick
Age Unknown
Male
Rockville, MD. USA
Birthday Unknown
AIM No Information
Yahoo No Information
ICQ No Information
MSN No Information
Contact Send Message
Contact Private

Topics
Files E2T
Comments
Friends
My Content
22 Apr 2010
Read Topic
Shell & Config - These lines don't work as expected. Are they even needed
I don't know if (1) I am using the wrong scripts (2) the lines are incorrectly coded or (3) they aren't needed anymore.

I was wondering why I had to manually start networking services through PeNetCfg once the Win7PE loaded when I noticed that these lines in the Shell&Config.script produced entries in Win7pe.cfg that did nothing. In the VistaPE.cfg they executed correctly because they were coded with a different command "AddPostConfig" which doesn't appear to exist in the 8.x release.

CODE
#Postconfig from the 8-Rel of WinBuilder (these are the original lines from the download)
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"DNS Client","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qDnscache#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"Server","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qLanmanServer#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"User Profile Service","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qProfSvc#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"Computer Browser","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qBrowser#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"Human Interface Device Access","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qhidserv#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$qswprv#$q",3
#IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"","x:\windows\system32\net.exe","start #$q#$q",3

After a bit of study I replaced these lines as follows

CODE
#Postconfig from Rick's brain to this script
#IniWriteTextLine inserts in LIFO order on the assumption that the [postconfig] lines are executed from top to bottom.
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|Network Start|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$q#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qswprv#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|Human Interface Device Access|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qhidserv#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|Computer Browser|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qBrowser#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|User Profile Service|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qProfSvc#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|Server|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qLanmanServer#$q"
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"wait|DNS Client|x:\windows\system32\net.exe#$sstart#$s#$qDnscache#$q"

Now the lines execute... but then I started wondering. Are they even needed with Win7PE?

Finally I coded an autostart of the network using this scripted command and a PeNetCfg.ini file

CODE
IniWriteTextLine,"%pecfg%",PostConfig,"hidewait|PENetCfg|#$qx:\program files\penetcfg\penetcfg.exe#$q#$s/useprofile:mc.ini",APPEND

CODE
; PE Network Configurator (PENetCfg) v2.33
; Copyright (C) 2003-2009 Pierre Mounir (TheTruth)
;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[General]
AutoStartNet     = Yes
PromptForProfile = No
ShowGUI          = No
[NetID]
ComputerName     = WinPE
Workgroup        = WORKGROUP
PrimaryDNSSuffix = montgomerycollege.edu
[Notes]
This profile configures network settings for use with Windows 7 Win PE on Mongomery College networks

My questions to the list are;
(1) is there an easier way to do this?
(2) Should I be using a different script?
(3) Are the commands I "fixed" even needed anymore?
26 May 2009
Read Topic
Mouse and Keyboard are missing on Dell computers
I am using the latest VistaPE project and have added some scripts (Ghost) and drivers (VMware) to support our imaging tasks.

The ISO works fine in both VMware and Sun VirtualBox environments, AND, it works fine with most Dell Precisions and some Dell Lattitude models. It almost never works with other Dell models.

Here is what happens. As soon as the boot process switches from the command line interface to the graphical interface there will either be a mouse cursor or not. When the mouse pointer goes missing, it never returns. Typically when the mouse doesn't work the keyboard won't work either (however occasionally that is not always true).

I've built the ISO with the VMware drivers and without, and with my scripts and without, where should I look next to fix this problem?

Extras
Options
Options
Interests
No Information
Other Information
Last Visitors
Rick has no visitors to display.
Comments
Other users have left no comments for Rick.
Friends
There are no friends to display.
* Profile views updated each hour