Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Boot grdlr, SETUPLDR.BIN and bootmgr with chain.c32 (syslinux)
post Jul 17 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #1
Icecube
Silver Member   ****
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 147

Belgium

When I boot grdlr with chain.c32 from SYSLINUX:
CODE
LABEL -
MENU LABEL GRUB4DOS menu (chain.c32)
TEXT HELP
This entry will bring you to the GRUB4DOS menu.
ENDTEXT
COM32 /boot/syslinux/chain.c32
APPEND ntldr=/boot/grub/grldr

It boots fine, when I run it from a USB stick (or hard drive).

When I run it from ISOLINUX, it won't find the menu.lst file. The root device is set wrong (is set to hd0,0). It will find the menu.lst file when I edit the embedded menu (removed --ignore-cd). I don't want to do this, because when grub4dos starts scanning all devices, there is no advantage at using grldr instead of grub.exe. When SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX is booted first, the root device from which grub4dos should read, is already determined, but if it needs to use the 'find --set-root' command, you don't know which menu.lst file it is going to use (not the right one).

So grub4dos should stop at the bold text of the embedded menu for my purpose.
default 0
timeout 1

title find /menu.lst, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck off
configfile /menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline

title commandline
commandline

title reboot
reboot

title halt
halt

chain.c32 does load the whole grldr file (ntldr of Windows XP doesn't do this), so you can put grldr at any directory.
It also passes the boot device in register DL.

--------------------
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task. Download Parted Magic 4.11.
Parted Magic and grub4dos iso emulation

Ultimate Boot CD V5 forum for features and suggestions. Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0.2 with grub4dos support.

The Syslinux Project: Stable releases: download link. Last test builds: download link.
ISO booting capable MEMDISK

The revenue from clicking on publicity at this post is helping Icecube
Boot Land shares publicity revenue with its members.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Icecube   Boot grdlr, SETUPLDR.BIN and bootmgr with chain.c32 (syslinux)   Jul 17 2009, 12:43 AM
- - jaclaz   I am not sure to have understtod the problem. If...   Jul 17 2009, 07:58 AM
- - Icecube   The menu.lst file is found when the chain.c32 comm...   Jul 17 2009, 08:09 AM
- - tinybit   Good job, Icecube. As we talk about the "dev...   Jul 17 2009, 08:49 AM
- - Icecube   chain.c32 doesn't seem to do its job right, if...   Jul 17 2009, 09:25 AM
- - tinybit   enh, I also think so. The default value for insta...   Jul 17 2009, 09:37 AM
- - Icecube   I am on my other PC (on which I didn't have th...   Jul 17 2009, 09:52 AM
- - tinybit   Then it is weird the CODEconfigfile /menu.lst con...   Jul 17 2009, 09:59 AM
- - Icecube   Probably, I had to be more clear. When I chainloa...   Jul 17 2009, 10:21 AM
- - tinybit   Certainly if chain.c32 could set DL to the correct...   Jul 17 2009, 10:50 AM
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Boot windows from extended partition
55 xpt 2,667 Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Last post by: Wonko the Sane
No New Posts Boot-loader for INT 0x13 mapping non-contiguous files
8 supaJ 378 18th June 2010 - 08:01 PM
Last post by: sebus
No New Posts Boot with SYSLINUX
9 mrt_doulaty 672 16th June 2010 - 07:04 AM
Last post by: mrt_doulaty
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachmentsSyslinux module ifplop.c32: check if PLoP is already loaded
1 Icecube 147 15th June 2010 - 09:47 PM
Last post by: Icecube
No New Posts Boot Grud4dos from SARDU
3 Wile.E.Warrigal 333 15th June 2010 - 10:40 AM
Last post by: Wile.E.Warrigal

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum