IPB

There is 7 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 Page : 2 3 Page : 4 Page : 5 Next page Go to last page  

> Vista look in XP

MedEvil
post Feb 15 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #21

Platinum Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 2,192

Looks like you're just missing an explorer environment variables or two. Those should be easy to create.

On the other hand, if the settings for Visplore are correctly set, it may not try to open by default the 'personal' folder. ?

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

edit: Made a mistake, the missing 'personal' folder comes from Vistart not visplore.
You will need to have the registry entries for the explorer startmenu, as well as the folder structure and the shortcuts. Which is actually more than logical! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

allanf
post Feb 15 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #22

Silver Member

Member No.: 8,221

Australia

Thanks again MedEvil,

I am now testing in WinPE3.0, and the registry key should be "...,User Shell Folders, Personal" pointing to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents", rather than just "...,Shell Folders", which is empty.

Would that also be why the Orb Startmenu seems to be in a perpetual hour-glass state?

Hopefully Lee could make something for Vista's and Win7's PE. There probably isn't much call for a program designed to make Vista look like Vista, except when the Vista is actually only half a Vista like a PE. ... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ...

I'm glad you found this, and shared it. Best thing I've seen in ages!

Regards

MedEvil
post Feb 15 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #23

Platinum Member

QUOTE (allanf @ Feb 15 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Thanks again MedEvil,

I am now testing in WinPE3.0, and the registry key should be "...,User Shell Folders, Personal" pointing to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents", rather than just "...,Shell Folders", which is empty.

Would that also be why the Orb Startmenu seems to be in a perpetual hour-glass state?

Not quite. The Orb is meant to work with the default startmenu as well as with ViStart. The only way it can know which one to use, would be by some registry settings. (which are all missing)

At the moment, i guess, it will look and look and look for the right menu to run.

The way i would code it, the ORB will look into the registry for the startmenu to run just like explorer shell.
While ViStart will enter itself instead of the default start menu in that place, to be able to work not only with the Orb, but also with the explorer shell.

MedEvil
post Feb 15 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #24

Platinum Member

QUOTE (allanf @ Feb 15 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Hopefully Lee could make something for Vista's and Win7's PE. There probably isn't much call for a program designed to make Vista look like Vista, except when the Vista is actually only half a Vista like a PE. ... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ...

I doubt that that there is any problem running them in Vista, besides it being completely pointless, as you pointed out.

allanf
post Feb 15 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #25

Silver Member

Australia

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Feb 16 2009, 01:26 AM) *
Not quite. The Orb is meant to work with the default startmenu as well as with ViStart. The only way it can know which one to use, would be by some registry settings. (which are all missing)

Most shells that I have tried seem to find the default (common? allusers?) startmenu.

Here's the registry for WinPE 3.0:

Attached Image

Maybe those shells use an environment variable to locate the available keys under "User Shell Folders"; whereas Vi* tries to locate the registry key directly, and the keys are missing under "Shell Folders".

Regards

MedEvil
post Feb 16 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #26

Platinum Member

QUOTE (allanf @ Feb 16 2009, 12:12 AM) *
Most shells that I have tried seem to find the default (common? allusers?) startmenu.

Here's the registry for WinPE 3.0:

Attached Image

Maybe those shells use an environment variable to locate the available keys under "User Shell Folders"; whereas Vi* tries to locate the registry key directly, and the keys are missing under "Shell Folders".

Regards

Little misunderstanding.
The orb is not a shell. It's meant as an addon to the explorershell. And though it can run stand alone, it has to work differently than a program meant as a standalone shell.
For instance, you can keep Explorer as shell and still use the Orb at the same time to replace the start button.
Try using explorer as shell and KDE added in. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hence the Orb needs to act exactly like the explorer start button it replaces. No way around that!

But the Orb is not really your problem. If you use regshot to get all the needed reg entries from a ViStart install, it will also contain the keys the Orb needs to find it.
Getting everything ViStart needs, might be a bit more tricky.

So to be absolutely clear.
The Orb needs to work properly, eighter the explorer shell or ViStart, it does nothing but look pretty and and call the start menu specified somewhere in the registry (dll/exe).
ViStart may not need explorer as shell, but it sure needs the registry settings and folders and shortcuts from the explorer start menu.

PS: Since the orb can also be run standalone, it would be real easy to use Regmon to track all the keys it's looking for.

allanf
post Feb 16 2009, 02:36 AM
Post #27

Silver Member

Australia

Yes. I understand that it's not a shell... tho it's close, and I think Lee has hinted at something 'bigger' to come.

What I was trying to say is that most off-the-shelf shells like litestep, xoblite, bbLean, emergeDesktop, etc are able to find the startmenu and everything in it - usually just a right-click on the desktop and there it is.

So, why can't ViStart?

It looked to me that the only reason was that ViStart was looking in the 'Shell Folders' registry key which is empty in PE, and should be looking in the 'User Shell Folders' key which is full... in both HKCU for user 'start menu', and HKLM for 'common start menu', etc

I've used .reg files to simply copy the 'User Shell Folders' to 'Shell Folders' and the errors have gone.

Now there is a problem finding a path to something unspecified... to do with ViStart. I'm guessing that it's something hard-coded as c:\... rather than %SystemDrive% (x:\).

Much thanks... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

MedEvil
post Feb 16 2009, 03:20 AM
Post #28

Platinum Member

QUOTE (allanf @ Feb 16 2009, 03:36 AM) *
What I was trying to say is that most off-the-shelf shells like litestep, xoblite, bbLean, emergeDesktop, etc are able to find the startmenu and everything in it - usually just a right-click on the desktop and there it is.

So, why can't ViStart?

Because is not a standalone program, Its an inplace replacement.
It replaces not the shell, the taslbar, the start button, the startmenu, the way shortcuts are handled and organized. It replaces JUST the start menu!
It keeps as much as possible original. For instance, it will not alter the sorting of the start menu even when you've draged things around before.

If there are any problems, i doubt it's because of a hardcoded drive letter. Missing registry entries and dll are a much more likely source.

I will have a look into the dependencies.

allanf
post Feb 16 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #29

Silver Member

Australia

You need the vbrun60 files... that was the only dependency reported missing by the program... can't remember the actual filename.

Here is where I'm up to after copying all the registry entries from 'User Shell Folders' key to ''Shell Folders' key in both HKCU and HKLM hives.

Attached Image

No more registry errors. Then 'Path not found'.

There is a ViStart directory created by the program in the root of x: but empty. What do you think this is for? It looks lost to me.

Regards

MedEvil
post Feb 16 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #30

Platinum Member

I can already tell you that ViStart works only when the deafult XP startmenu is selected.
So i guess it will also not work when there is nothing selected.

Will test Viorb and ViStart in NPE to check how far they depend on Explorer and acompanied dll.

There is 7 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 Page : 2 3 Page : 4 Page : 5 Next page Go to last page 

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

>

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Posts Topic has attachments XP styles in PE
17 MedEvil 282 Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Last post by: MedEvil
No New Posts VistaPE Loader Help
2 Thatguy2223 133 Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Last post by: Thatguy2223
No new Posts Topic has attachments Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB
163 wimb 36,977 19th February 2009 - 06:05 PM
Last post by: magic12kenneth
No New Posts XP Installation .iso + Install to HDD / Boot a Ubuntu 8.04 live image
6 ToXiKuS 936 19th February 2009 - 07:40 AM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts VistaPE Boot-DVD with additional software possible?
1 foxhunter 153 18th February 2009 - 07:22 PM
Last post by: steelbone

menu_build_menu( "topicreferrals", new Array( img_item + " http://boot-land.net/foru...s/wb_server.php   74 clicks", img_item + " http://boot-land.net/foru...s/wb_server.php   34 clicks" ) );

RSS "Boot-Land.net", "WinBuilder" Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2009 - 09:28 AM