Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

53 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topic
 Separation of system-core and user-stuff: LODR-packs, Development Topic about LODR-U idea ****
Rating 5 V
post Jan 4 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #61
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 40

Please read http://sanbarrow.com/how-to-add-ws-to-moa.html about how to prepare a Workstation directory.

About the apps - do what I already mentioned. Possibly with a ramloading build.

Then copy the contents of ...pebuilder\bartpe\moahome\*.* to the root of a USB-disk or stick -
add a tag-file named "moa-is-at-home.tag" to the root of the disk/stick
and boot the CD with that stick/disk plugged in.

Inject your LiveXP cd - drag the contents of your programs-dir to R:\programs.
Add startmenu entries by drag'n'drop
Add desktop-icons per drag'n'drop.
Use the apps.

Reboot

Find out which of YOUR apps don't work - good part of it already does.
Make a list of apps that don't work - only for those you need to create a batch.

Once you created a batch like the one for VirtualBox we already discussed you can automate loading it by putting a line like
start R:\programs\myapp\launch.cmd
into R:\bin\lastbatch.cmd.

If you want to load an app before network is up - put a line
into R:\bin\prenetwork-batch.cmd

+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #62
amalux
bug-catcher   *****
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 169

United States

QUOTE (sanbarrow @ Jan 4 2009, 01:20 PM) *
Please read http://sanbarrow.com/how-to-add-ws-to-moa.html about how to prepare a Workstation directory.

About the apps - do what I already mentioned. Possibly with a ramloading build.

Inject your LiveXP cd - drag the contents of your programs-dir to R:\programs.
Add startmenu entries by drag'n'drop
Add desktop-icons per drag'n'drop.
Use the apps.

Reboot

Find out which of YOUR apps don't work - good part of it already does.
Make a list of apps that don't work - only for those you need to create a batch.

Thankyou for info, I'll research some more and try again... One question, is there any LODR-pack already setup that I could dl and take a look at, would help me understand how it's supposed to work. I found a possible dl link but requires login/pw. Thanks Ulli smile.gif

--------------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." — Samuel Johnson

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." — Henry Ford

LiveXP w/BootSDI Tutorial - My Scripts - My Builds - Portable-ppAX
+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #63
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****

Nope - there is no list of already existing LODR-packs available - never needed one so far.

Start with the virtualbox-batch we discussed - thats a beautiful example.

I just made up the term LODR-pack so that we have a term to discuss rolleyes.gif

Basically I hope for know-hox exchange - which is very easy when folks use simple batch-files.
Look at the virtualbox-example ... someone finds out how to use app XY on top of PE without needing any app-scripts or plugins or core-rebuilds.
He then puts that in a batch - so that every one else can easily anaylize a working startup routine for app XY on PE.

I don;t care what you do with that - I just hope that I could use some of your knowhow too. cool.gif

... and I am pretty sure you will like this easy way too ...

+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #64
Galapo
Platinum Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 256

Australia

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Jan 4 2009, 09:58 PM) *
I cant use wimpack.exe on builds for now, but it is better to put half of my idea (the other half will be load on demand) (all idea is at post 23 and post 26) in a simple script
can you check this:

Here's basic syntax for wimpack.exe:

wimpack.exe targetdir folder_in_targetdir_to_pack cmd_file system_exclude_file_list

Eg: wimpack.exe c:\target program c:\target\cmd.cmd none

Note: in targetdir a folder 'i386' must exist, to which the outputted WIM will be generated. cmd_file is necessary in this case only to avoid program error.

Regards,
Galapo.

--------------------
galapo.boot-land.net
------
Recommended steps to build LiveXP:
1) Download suitable WinBuilder.exe from here and run it;
2) Update through the Download Center by clicking the 'Download' button; and
3) Then build LiveXP by pressing the 'Play' button.
+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #65
MedEvil
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 100

QUOTE (sanbarrow @ Jan 4 2009, 09:52 PM) *
be able to run all VMware apps

What is a VMWare app, if it's not a app running in VMWare?

cheers.gif

--------------------
NaughtyPE - The Multimedia PE!
Requirements: WB072 or 077RC2, XPSP2/W2k3SP1 source, Pentium CPU, 128MB RAM (256MB to use video players)
+Quote Post
post Jan 4 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #66
rawral
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Members

Thank(s): 25

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Jan 4 2009, 11:14 PM) *

cheers.gif

my guess is 'VMware disk mount utility' or similar things mellow.gif

its possible even probable im way out tho

LODR-packs jump.gif ( it sounds like a good thing )

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #67
amalux
bug-catcher   *****
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 169

United States

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Jan 3 2009, 04:34 PM) *
Amalux, would like to see your fully working LiveXP+Tools in a 150MB image. Sounds more like nativeEX_barebone+Tools to me. laugh.gif

Attached Image

even with a full compliment of network and mass storage drivers, plus some free space to play with; this build creates an image ~147MB fully loaded to RAM. There's nothing 'outside' of the RAM to access, you can remove the CD as soon as you boot to desktop - this leaves the CD drive open for other things like burning discs or accessing other data etc. Tested on machines with only 256MB RAM and all programs accessed simultaneously without issue. Programs work exactly as they would in a full Windows, i.e. every program opens 'instantly', no delay for accessing from CD which drives me crazy.

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Jan 3 2009, 04:34 PM) *
On a machine like that [4GB and more of RAM] one can autoinstall a XP in less then 10minutes and everything works. Every hardware, every software that one chooses. No dependencies to watch out for, no scripts to write.

PE has one advantage and one advantage only. It can run straight of a CD, without the need to copy or install anything to any place and thus use the least amount of RAM possible.
Once this advantage is of no consequences, PE only has disadvantages! And thus i simply can not understand, why anyone, who plans to build a live system for a computer with more than enough RAM, would actually choose a PE of some kind! confused1.gif

cheers.gif

First, 4GB RAM? How about 512MB, more realistic to this discussion; yeah, you could autoinstall a full XP in 10 min. - so what? How long will it take you install, register and configure all the programs in the list above, an hour or more? While the client is waiting for you to do some repair work? PE has many advantages in a bare metal/repair/restore setting and none of them relate to running from CD, in fact, running from CD is the one serious dis-advantage if you are unlucky enough to get stuck with a non-bootsdi PE! Very rarely do I have to resort to a PE run from CD in the case of damaged RAM etc. and it kills me, the constant delays everytime I access a program or file, I've said it before; if the only PE I could use were run from CD, I wouldn't bother with it.

Personally, I can't see using PE as a replacement for a full OS but in the cases I encounter daily where booting normally is hindered or impossible due to OS corruption, virus damage etc. PE run from RAM is a beautiful thing to behold. I think that you and I use PE for far different reasons which might help to explain some of your confusion here wink.gif

--------------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." — Samuel Johnson

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." — Henry Ford

LiveXP w/BootSDI Tutorial - My Scripts - My Builds - Portable-ppAX
+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #68
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****

Things like
ViClient (needs dotnet) ,
ViToolKit (needs Powershell) ,
RemoteCli (needs Active-Perl),
Tripwire-ConfigCheck (needs JAVA)
.. and other VMware related apps like VEEAM Fastscp or TRILEAD VM-explorer which mostly need dotnet2.

All the apps mentioned above are handled by a single script called esx-tools.exe.
That handles the one-time setup and the loading of this apps at any time after boot later in regular use.

Thats the most advanced LODR-pack I have at the moment - it runs on PEs with
at least 20 Mb free space in %systemroot% and writeable R:\home and R:\programs.
It does NOT require that you rebuild the out-of-the-box MOA-core in any way.
No problem in MOA - don;t know about LiveXP or other winbuilders CDs

Personally, I can't see using PE as a replacement for a full OS

On my notebook I have MOA in boot.ini along with a regular 2k3
- most of the times I use MOA as it runs Explorer and VMware Workstation faster than the regular install.
+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #69
MedEvil
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 100

So a VMWare app is an app which is/can be used for things related to VMWare?

Sanbarrow would you please tell me again the use of MOA, as i seem to remember wrong and can't really see the purpose of MOA in your explainations.

cheers.gif

--------------------
NaughtyPE - The Multimedia PE!
Requirements: WB072 or 077RC2, XPSP2/W2k3SP1 source, Pentium CPU, 128MB RAM (256MB to use video players)
+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #70
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****

MedEvil - I have a hunch that you are not part of the expected target-audience cool.gif

purpose of MOA: proof that traditional harddisk installed Operating systems are out-dated.
+Quote Post

53 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Offtopic posts
How to handle?
5 psc 302 2nd November 2009 - 08:04 PM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts andLinux
3 Mikorist 1,394 22nd December 2008 - 09:06 AM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts andLinux, a working colinux
Somethings that was really needed
7 jaclaz 3,991 6th October 2008 - 01:52 PM
Last post by: bobsobol
No New Posts Office Integrator
Directly integrate Updates and other things to your Office inst disks.
0 Siginet 1,218 10th September 2008 - 12:05 AM
Last post by: Siginet
No New Posts and the oscar goes to Spain!
6 billonious 2,424 9th July 2008 - 09:59 PM
Last post by: Nuno Brito

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline