IPB

There is 3 page(s)  1 Page : 2 Page : 3 Next page 

> usb booting problem,detected as floppy, unable to boot usb on intel845g,BIOS detect/map usb stick as floppy

cdnbln
post Jan 2 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,958

India

hai,thanks to all

I used two usb sticks- 4GB Kingstone and 2GB sandisc
UBCD4WIN built on winxpsp2 NTFS intel845gvsr ,256MB RAM
booted into GRUB4DOS BASH then used configfile (fd0)/menu.lst
to get the menu and selcted ubcd4win ,usb cannot boot

Is there a way to boot usb stick(especially pe based) detected as floppy by BIOS
and make it multibootable ?

I had successfully booted the usb using knoppix,ploplinux etc
my trial and error detail is available here
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12011

I am not sure if link from other forum is allowed here, any way it is the best and accurate means to explain my problem
Now i try to make LiveXP boot from usb

welcome any solution/suggestion
Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

vain
post Jan 2 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,459

Indonesia

Try to flip the "removable media bit" with this gem from Lexar called BootIt; basically it turns an attribute stored in the drive circuitry from being recognized as removable to fixed and vice versa - if the drive has that feature (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) From my little experience, no Kingston drives support it and I don't know about SanDisks, but a few lesser-known ones with names like Netac and Avance do. I also use an 845-based mainboard and it would never boot PE off USB-RMD FDD mode, complaining about missing or corrupt txtsetup.sif. After the drive got flipped to USB-HDD, it actually started running up to the splash screen before going down with bluescreen 7B, which can be easily remedied by replacing ntdetect.com with the modified one from Dietmar at 911cd.net.

Note that this problem seems to be machine-dependent as most other recent mainboards have no problem kicking PE off true removables without hacks.

amalux
post Jan 3 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #3

bug-catcher

Group: Tutorial Writer
Member No.: 2,966

United States

Hi cdnbln, welcome to the forum (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You can make your USB Stick be detected as a USB hard drive and then partition it for multi-boot by creating your own custom driver(s). See this easy tutorial here for creating the drivers; I've used this method for both Kingston and Sandisk UFD's so you should be OK. Good luck (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

cdnbln
post Jan 3 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #4

India

thanks vain
thanks amalux for ready responses

I am afraid i have been mistaken , perhaps due to my faulty report

I have already made the usb stick as local using usboot from usboot.org while i have been experimenting and left it incompleted . but the stick appear as local disk and not removable

I shall be grateful if you go through my trial error in the following post, if you have any time
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12011
I hope It will make things clear
My problem is not in windows but in BIOS when booting
vain said
Try to flip the "removable media bit" .......being recognized as removable to fixed and vice versa

Whether BIOS will also recognise it as fixed hdd
Are you sure this will help and whether i can use the stick in the normal way after trying to flip the bit and uninstall the changes later
I have to try this after getting a clarification

I also use an 845-based mainboard and it would never boot PE off USB-RMD FDD mode

Right, that is the thing. But I have not changed anything(mode) in BIOS, but it just cannot boot PE based bootable usb in may case and when used the BASH command in GRUB4DOS that i found the stick is detected as (fd0). BIOS already contain and option for boot from usb and enabled it and selcted the stick after pressing F10.The system restarts or boots into the system hdd. Linux based OS works well

my question again, Is there any way to make usb stick boot PE based OS from intel 845gvsr Mother Board, BIOS of which detect a stick as floppy drive and boot fails

Thanks in advance

cdob
post Jan 3 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #5

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 11,765

QUOTE (vain)
Try to flip the "removable media bit"
Thanks, that's a nice approach.

QUOTE (cdnbln)
Are you sure this will help and whether i can use the stick in the normal way after trying to flip the bit and uninstall the changes later

You can use the stick in a normal way after: read and write
However XP use USB stick as hard disk:
creates a folder "System Volume Information" and may use write cache.
Well, you use this at XP already using addional driver.

You can flip the "media bit" again to get the original behaviour.

No user without a 845gvsr can be sure. Try it. The approach makes sense.

Strange BIOS may read "media bit":
removable: floppy
fixed: hard disk

Or try a USB hard disk.

amalux
post Jan 3 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #6

bug-catcher

Group: Tutorial Writer
Member No.: 2,966

United States

QUOTE (cdnbln @ Jan 2 2009, 11:15 PM) *
--

Right, that is the thing. But I have not changed anything(mode) in BIOS, but it just cannot boot PE based bootable usb in may case and when used the BASH command in GRUB4DOS that i found the stick is detected as (fd0). BIOS already contain and option for boot from usb and enabled it and selcted the stick after pressing F10.The system restarts or boots into the system hdd. Linux based OS works well

my question again, Is there any way to make usb stick boot PE based OS from intel 845gvsr Mother Board, BIOS of which detect a stick as floppy drive and boot fails

Thanks in advance

I don't have your MB/BIOS so can't say for sure but with the stick plugged in, boot into setup and check that you can see the usb stick listed under boot devices and that it's set to first (top) in boot order. Also confirm that usb emulation option (maybe in peripherals) is set ON. I have less experience with the 'bootit' thingy (didn't work on my kingston dt) but the custom driver technique is safe and reversable, just roll back the driver when you want it seen as removable again. Once you install the custom driver, partition the drive as wanted and for a test, use petousb to format your first pri/active partition; choose fixed usb option of course. If your using ntdetect, make sure it's the modded setup described here (4th post) to avoid your bsod 7b.

Garfield
post Jan 3 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 2,007

South Africa

Some of the older intel motherboards only detected USB sticks as Floppy disks. You can try to download a newer BIOS from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/. Some of the newer Intel BIOSes have an option to detect a USB storage device as a USB floppy or a USB Harddisk. If you are unsure of anything get more help or don't update the BIOS. It can render your machine unbootable.

cdnbln
post Jan 6 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #8

India

hai thanks,

I have already updated the BIOS , it is of no use
In BIOS setup usb stick is avaiblae in boot dvices option
and it is shown as removable
There is also an option for usb boot enable
I have successfully booted using Knoppix,ploplinux etc
and also booted from a Ghost image downloaded from net which works DOS way
All this trial and error can be examined on the link provided earlier describing all the things again is waste of time, anyhow anyone like to know has to read anyway
that's why i posted the link

One thing as i have successfully booted from Knoppix and DOS , is there a way to boot from PE

I have some doubt regarding the use of BootIt, whether i have to format it after chaning the bit or before, and before or after making it bootable using pe2usb etc, there is no option for update,no option is available for reversing it, how to do it

thanks in advance

vain
post Jan 6 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,459

Indonesia

The BootIt tool does its job within the drive circuit, so after being flipped it stays that way anywhere without our having to do things with the local systems. It is also quite harmless, afaik, as many drives that it failed to flip continued functioning correctly as removable, but still unable to boot PE from my 845. And yes, they do boot syslinux - but only when formatted FAT-16, neither FAT-32 nor NTFS will do (hanging after the string "MBR"). Unfortunately, Siblo the syslinux derivative capable of directly loading ntldr/setupldr prefers FAT-32.

I am sorry to report that SanDisk flash drives seem to not support it either, as do all Kingstons and many other brands (pqi, Nexus, JetFlash, very probably others). I can only verify that among those I personally use, Netac and Avance are the only ones that successfully flipped, besides Lexar's naturally.

I think this problem has more to do with the mainboard design rather than software - updating to the latest BIOS did not help in my machine, and even the original BIOS is capable to recognize USB-HDD whether true hard drives or flipped UFD's.

One drawback I noticed after flipping one of my drives: somehow my SLAX Linux failed to mount its own drive - it boots normally but the partition does not automatically appear on /mnt. I had to "mkdir /media" before it could be mounted manually. But that's another story I guess....

jaclaz
post Jan 6 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #10

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

Rather obviously the Lexar tool is NOT from Lexar at all.

It is from the maker of the USB Controller inside some of Lexar sticks, and has been re-branded by Lexar.

Consequently any other brand that uses the same controller chip will work, any other brand that uses "another" controller chip will NOT.

But you can find the Manufacturer Tool for the "another" one.

Use ChipGenius to identify the CHIP:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4661

Then, you will need all your google-fu, here is a good starting point (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) :

http://www.flashboot.ru/index.php?name=iflash

jaclaz

There is 3 page(s)  1 Page : 2 Page : 3 Next page

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

>

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Booting LiveXP_RAM.iso with Grub4dos.
5 mancer 144 Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Last post by: wimb
No New Posts Booting w/ access to NTFS using DOS, PE, etc, from HDD...?
6 snowbear 213 28th January 2009 - 08:49 AM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts USB Security
USB LOCK?
12 Myk3 700 26th January 2009 - 07:00 AM
Last post by: goethe
No new Posts Booting XP/Vista into RAM - have I got this at all right?
Read 100's of posts - looking 4 best ways AND 1 answer
73 yvonne 12,574 25th January 2009 - 07:41 PM
Last post by: Mammuth
No New Posts booting from iSCSI
1 mr_ 161 8th January 2009 - 07:22 PM
Last post by: Andy Tim

menu_build_menu( "topicreferrals", new Array( img_item + " http://boot-land.net/foru...s/wb_server.php   8 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...s.aspx?q=floppy   3 clicks", img_item + " chipgenius   2 clicks", img_item + " http://search.live.com/re...1&FORM=PERE   2 clicks", img_item + " http://www.boot-land.net/...hp?showforum=71   1 clicks", img_item + " +boot +a7v600-x +usb   1 clicks", img_item + " http://www.metacrawler.co...=7?_IceUrl=true   1 clicks", img_item + " flip removable bit   1 clicks", img_item + " ubcd4win usb   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.live.com/re...s.aspx?q=floppy   1 clicks", img_item + " flip removabe bit   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...s.aspx?q=member   1 clicks", img_item + " usb multiboot error   1 clicks" ) );

RSS "Boot-Land.net", "WinBuilder" Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st January 2009 - 07:45 AM