Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topic
 LiveXP, 'Factory Settings'
post Dec 29 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #1
psc
Guru   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 441

Germany

QUOTE (micha041 @ Dec 29 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Hi,
leider bekomme ich nach sehr vielen versuchen kein Projekt zum Abschluß.
XP Live
Mein Problem: Some needed files missing in BootSDI

[English] (very free translation)
I cannot build the project successfully, because some files are missing which are needed for BootSDI script
[/English]

Suggestion to Galapo, Lancelot:
In the 'Factory delivery' make scripts to default which can be built with the 'minimum' download: Pure ISO, emulator qEmu!

Peter

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

There are very rarely problems, in most cases there are issues.

There are never stupid questions, there can be only stupid answers.

The revenue from clicking on publicity at this post is given to psc

+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #2
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Thank(s): 380

Turkiye

psc,

Live 'Factory delivery' have always CreateISO ranting2.gif and Qemu selected realmad.gif , this 'Factory Settings' never chair.gif changed. It is sad you start this topic.

This is micha041 fault or lack of experience or being careless, selecting BootSDI from the menu and trying to build without reading BootSDI gui. This is common for beginners who tries bootsdi. As he wrote to german topic, i guess he missed reading BootSDI gui. I hope your repy to micha041 helps.

This event leads another issue and question in my mind which cause users build till the begining of bootsdi script and fails. Will write next week.

Happy new year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #3
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

Let me tell my story:

I downloaded a fresh LiveXP with the 'Recommended' choice, added ONLY the source CD (XP SP3 German) and started the build.

After about 12 minutes qEmu started and remained static with this picture:

Attached Image

After waiting for about 4 minutes w/o any change, I killed qEmu.

Then ImgBurn came up. Why? Should I burn a CD after an unsuccessful test?

In my opinion, the 'recommended' download maybe shoud have the scripts it currently has.

But it should have much less SELECTED scripts!
In the very first trial, running into an emulator, MassStorage drivers, AntiVir scripts etc. are really not necessary.
They can be added by the user if he wants to burn a real CD or to build an USB stick.

As a first time user after 18 minutes without success, I would be rather disappointed and maybe 'Forget this Bulls***'

Peter

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #4
amalux
bug-catcher   *****
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 169

United States

QUOTE (psc @ Dec 30 2008, 08:52 AM) *
Let me tell my story:

I downloaded a fresh LiveXP with the 'Recommended' choice, added ONLY the source CD (XP SP3 German) and started the build.

After about 12 minutes qEmu started and remained static with this picture:

Attached Image

After waiting for about 4 minutes w/o any change, I killed qEmu.

Then ImgBurn came up. Why? Should I burn a CD after an unsuccessful test?

In my opinion, the 'recommended' download maybe shoud have the scripts it currently has.

But it should have much less SELECTED scripts!
In the very first trial, running into an emulator, MassStorage drivers, AntiVir scripts etc. are really not necessary.
They can be added by the user if he wants to burn a real CD or to build an USB stick.

As a first time user after 18 minutes without success, I would be rather disappointed and maybe 'Forget this Bulls***'

Peter

Hi Peter, I can confirm the glitch in Qemu (HwPnP) but boots OK to real hardware rolleyes.gif

Why do you have an issue with ImgBurn auto-starting? It only takes one click to cancel and if an ISO burn is wanted, it is far more trouble to find the ISO and burn it later, assuming the user has burning sw installed. Maybe there should be an option to burn the ISO after build finishes completely and error-less log is confirmed thumbup.gif - but this would require some work for a script dev smart.gif

--------------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." — Samuel Johnson

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." — Henry Ford

LiveXP w/BootSDI Tutorial - My Scripts - My Builds - Portable-ppAX
1 user(s) said "Thank you!" to amalux for this fantastic post:
Nuno Brito
+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #5
JonF
Gold Member   *****

Thank(s): 197

United States

FWIW I agree 100% with Peter.
+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #6
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (amalux @ Dec 30 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Hi Peter, I can confirm the glitch in Qemu (HwPnP) but boots OK to real hardware rolleyes.gif

You have to see the 'running Movie':

The user boots into qEmu and has my 'Success'.
He asks here in the forum and you tell him (see your above quote).

That does not help the user. He wants to se his PE in qEmu!

To avoid this, the scripts bringing qEmu to hang, should NOT BE in the factory settings (less scripts selected, as demanded above)
QUOTE (amalux @ Dec 30 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Why do you have an issue with ImgBurn auto-starting? It only takes one click to cancel and if an ISO burn is wanted, it is far more trouble to find the ISO and burn it later, assuming the user has burning sw installed. Maybe there should be an option to burn the ISO after build finishes completely and error-less log is confirmed thumbup.gif - but this would require some work for a script dev smart.gif

The easier way would be to have BurnISO unselected in 'Factory Settings' smart.gif
As far as I know, EVERY Expert, Standard, or Dummy user is able to select a script if he/she wants to include it into the build. hypocrite.gif

And what about 'Error-less', when I do not like what I saw in qEmu? wink.gif
Burning nevertheless?
Wasting a CD if there is one in the burner?
Bringing an error if there is no CD?

Peter

BTW: For the above reason in natoveEx_barebone_075 I just moved the 'Burn' to the Tools folder (besides e.g. RegEdit) and made it unselectable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #7
amalux
bug-catcher   *****
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 169

United States

QUOTE (psc @ Dec 30 2008, 10:08 AM) *
--
To avoid this, the scripts bringing qEmu to hang, should NOT BE in the factory settings (less scripts selected, as demanded above)

100% agree! smile.gif

QUOTE (psc @ Dec 30 2008, 10:08 AM) *
The easier way would be to have BurnISO unselected in 'Factory Settings' smart.gif
As far as I know, EVERY Expert, Standard, or Dummy user is able to select a script if he/she wants to include it into the build. hypocrite.gif

And what about 'Error-less', when I do not like what I saw in qEmu? wink.gif
Burning nevertheless?
Wasting a CD if there is one in the burner?
Bringing an error if there is no CD?

50% agree rolleyes.gif

I like the option to burn a CD at the end of the build (just an option, no reason to waste a CD or time); believe it or not, newbies might not know how to burn an ISO to CD and this gives them an easy option to do so. If the script is unselected by default, this option is lost and may cause more troubles for newbies. Unless something has changed, ImgBurn should NOT automatically burn a CD if one is in the drive or even give an 'error'; just open and wait for user input. Simply closing ImgBurn moves past this CD burn option without issue, no?

--------------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." — Samuel Johnson

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." — Henry Ford

LiveXP w/BootSDI Tutorial - My Scripts - My Builds - Portable-ppAX
+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #8
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Thank(s): 380

Turkiye

Wow

it is really interesting, Peter are you aware that you open 2 new subject in the same 1 topic at post 3. woow. smile.gif.

as you wish:
subject 1) post 1: subject answered
subject 2) post 3: yep i am aware of hwpnp error, but missed the point, thank you showing out how it will be bad for a new starter. Script changed and updated. (demanding less scripts selected for solution is not the solution for this)
subject 3) post 3: Ingredient of recommended livexp may be discussed, i took notes of your concern to discuss it later. But reminding you sth; we have minimum option for livexp which have much less SELECTED scripts, very small and quickly buildable.
subject 3b) post 3: This special discussion about "ImgBurn auto-starting", i agree with amalux idea about very new users which is in your point of view lower rank than "EVERY Expert, Standard, or Dummy user", i guess micha041 is a good example as he 'reported' your helping reply to him smile.gif

But mostly, i am very impressed you are talking about +2(+1b) subjects out of the topic reason on post 1, wooooow biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
Reason for edit: fixed

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #9
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 30 2008, 07:55 PM) *
it is really interesting, Peter are you aware that you open 2 new subject in the same 1 topic at post 3. woow. smile.gif .

If you look at the title 'factory settings' this can contain many items (scripts)! tongue.gif
What I want to have as final result:
The new user MUST have the possibility to have a success feeling with his first (factory set) build.

Anything else is step #2!

And I'm glad to see that you are on the way trying to realize this idea!

Peter thumbup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Dec 30 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #10
Nuno Brito
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 311

Portugal

Regarding ImgBurn, why not adding a simple question box? huh.gif

Burn ISO image on CD/DVD?

If positive, launch imgburn otherwise finish things up.

--------

We can say that on NativeEx there isn't the need for such feature since it is truly aimed for people that we assume as having some experience and know what they are doing at some extension but for LiveXP users this should indeed remain as default because newbies will be clueless regarding what to do next.

It's a user friendly action.

On VistaPE (factory), it doesn't even run the ISO inside an emulator and I personally find it too time consuming to go fetch the ISO image, add it to the virtualbox emulator and start a virtual machine just to see if I liked it or not.

--------

Regarding the BootSDI script, wouldn't it be possible for this script to avoid starting if no win2003 files are chosen on the script GUI nor the project is using win2003 as source? huh.gif

If no win2003 files available, display an error message and revert back to "normal" createISO to avoid interrupting the project build.

Would this help to bring a more user friendly project?

cheers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Add Drivers to Host from LiveXP
Adding drivers to host computer
3 Bukvod 167 20th November 2009 - 05:15 PM
Last post by: dera
No new Topic has attachmentsGRAND UPDATE on LiveXP SERVER
2009-11-07
47 Lancelot 5,913 18th November 2009 - 01:51 AM
Last post by: Lancelot
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsLiveXP -- Anything & Everything
Look only Post #1 and Last Posts of this topic
1,834 Lancelot 106,120 12th November 2009 - 11:22 PM
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsNewcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!
Bug reports and troubleshooting thread
336 doveman 31,579 9th November 2009 - 11:37 PM
Last post by: amalux
No new [Fixed] Two problems with LiveXP
18 Michael McStarfighter 814 9th November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum