Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topic
 inf - script together support suggestion for wb, Chief Nuno your opinion needed
post Dec 1 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #1
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 380

Turkiye

we have .inf support with winbuilder.exe for bartpe plugins, which i like a lot.

i have a problem, and an idea for solution, psc agreed with solution saying
That's for me ok, and rather easy to code.

and told me to write this as a topic
But I suggest that you discuss this topic in the forum before I realize it.

, so here it is.

problem is:
how will a script/inf writer put his script/inf in a single package? so when user download, if user put plugin in bartpe project, it will directly work, and if user put plugin in winbuilder project (example livexp) it will directly work.
No problem with bartpe, as pebuilder.exe dont read .script files
but with wb, wb reads both .inf and .script!!!!!!!

my idea for solution:

can we put an option in .inf file so when winbuilder.exe reads this, wb ignores
for example:

CODE
[PEBuilder]
Name="Winamp2_Kare"
Enable=1
Help="Winamp2_Kare.htm"
Winbuilder=0

so a plugin writer easly puts .inf and .script files in same folder?

here are 2 examples to show what i suggest, and what is current:
this is current situation:
http://lancelot.winbuilder.net/5F/wbcurren...amp2example.rar
this is if masters agree my suggestion:
http://lancelot.winbuilder.net/5F/wbwanted...amp2example.rar

I hope you like the idea??????

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Dec 1 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #2
Galapo
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 256

Australia

Sounds fine with me. It's useful if a developer wants to test BartPE plugin and WinBuilder script.

I guess I just don't see the point of going back to pebuilder is all.

I think it's a good suggestion which means for those that want plugins and scripts in same location, plugin can be "hidden" from display if desired.

Regards,
Galapo.

--------------------
galapo.boot-land.net
------
Recommended steps to build LiveXP:
1) Download suitable WinBuilder.exe from here and run it;
2) Update through the Download Center by clicking the 'Download' button; and
3) Then build LiveXP by pressing the 'Play' button.
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #3
Nuno Brito
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 311

Portugal

Hi Lancelot! smile.gif

WinBuilder first introduced support for .inf (bartPE) back on the 04x versions, it was later removed since it we didn't had app script API and the conversion was a buggy. Nevertheless, it had an interesting feature that might interest you on this case.

Both WinBuilder and BartPE coexisted using the same .INF file if necessary.

BartPE would read the usual sections and WinBuilder wouldn't be worried and interpret .inf exactly in the same manner as if it was a .script file - this was made this way to introduce dual support.

Very basic support for bartPE and advanced features for those who used winbuilder.

For example, if it had an [interface] section, it would display the respective interface.

If it had a [process] section it would run the script commands and so on.

-------------------

At this point since bartPE plugin are already so well supported I would suggest that we further enhanced them inside WinBuilder and avoid keeping double file and double the work when needing to update anything.

Imagine his behavior on wb:

- WinBuilder would interpret and display any [interface] section found inside a .inf plugin.
- When running the project it would attach any code found on the [process] section of the .INF at the bottom of respective code that resulted from the conversion of .inf to app script and execute as expected.

---

This would ensure that the instructions found inside the plugin would be converted and allow more elaborate behaviors to take action when running from winbuilder.

As end result would allow support for both builders inside a single file and keep things as universal as possible, of course that developers would need to understand both app script and pe builder logic.

Would this sort of solution be desirable for everyone involved? huh.gif

cheers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #4
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

Hi Nuno Brito,

I am still curious about what your avatar will be. rolleyes.gif
I got very used to it after seeing it in forum sites for more than year( maybe 2, 3), i am not sure, i was only a reader but not a member for a long time.

Going back to subject.

At this point since bartPE plugin are already so well supported I would suggest that we further enhanced them inside WinBuilder and avoid keeping double file and double the work when needing to update anything.

I like single file idea too, but for this subject it seems more convenient for me to seperate. Besides some reason i wrote in the end, it is easier to see which file is pebuilder plugin and which file is wb plugin only by looking extension. Or as I wrote below, you can put both option too, so script writer decide if (s)he wants seperate or single file.

I made a test, There is a problem!

I copy text in Winamp2_Kare.script to the end of Winamp2_Kare.inf, and delete Winamp2_Kare.script
Interface looks oki on wb, besides minor things, there is a great BUUTTT

[WinntDirectories]
[SourceDisksFiles]
[Software.Addreg]
[Append]
are converted and processed, probably by InfSupport.Script, which is not good for seperate behaviour.

An idea to keep everything in single file, wb should assume .inf as .script If [Process] section is in .inf file.
This should also have result not showing double quotes (") at the beginin and end of the script name (title) and will result reading [Main] instead of [PEBuilder]

Also/Maybe with an option in [PEBuilder] section:
Section=0 --->dont process sections read by pebuilder.exe (all seperated, we can use variables in reg section with wb, but we cant with pebuilder (or probably cant), winamp2 script have some reglines for that, they have variables in script, and dont have variable in .inf)

Section=1 --->process all sections -- now it behaves like that with wb075b5A, (maybe a script writer would like to use [Software.Addreg] together with other things not to double the work when update needed)

I know you all work hard on wb and other things. I wouldnt want you spend lots of time for this single file behaviour which i guess wouldnt be used much.
And also "post1 idea for solution" can be used together with your "single universal file" solution.
So if script writer wants to seperate .inf and .script, (s)he will use "[PEBuilder] .. Winbuilder=0", if script writer want to combine, (s)he will add ingredient of .script to the end of .inf, and decide the behaviour of single file "[PEBuilder] .. Section=0" or "[PEBuilder] .. Section=1".

After writing things in my mind about single file, I guess from psc comment it is easier to code "post1 idea" to wb.

ps:
As already noticed, infact "post 1 idea" is there already with a wb feature,

there is only one change between
wbcurrent_winamp2example.rar
CODE
[PEBuilder]

wbwanted_winamp2example.rar
CODE
[PEBuilder]

but instead of space, having "[PEBuilder] .. Winbuilder=0" seems to me more trustable in future cool.gif

edit: in second codebox, there should be a space in the end of [PEBuilder]

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #5
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

edit in previous post: in second codebox, there should be a space in the end of [PEBuilder]

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #6
psc
Guru   ******

Thank(s): 441

Germany

Before having long theoretical discussions:

Download my latest Nightly (in my signature) and have a look at Apps > a43.

If you want to test it, do not forget to select Basic > InfSupport

Peter

BTW:
Old WB code
CODE
if bartInf then
  DeleteFile(actScript);

New WB code
CODE
if bartInf then
begin
  DeleteFile(actScript);
  ScriptRunner.Execute(run_script, 'process');
end;

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

There are very rarely problems, in most cases there are issues.

There are never stupid questions, there can be only stupid answers.

+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #7
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

oki peter,

less theory more practical

from now on, i guess you dont like the idea of seperating files, which is already there if you downloaded and look wbwanted_winamp2example.rar
When you download and open winbuilder.exe you will see only winamp_kare.script on the interface of wb, when you browse files, you will see both .inf and .script file in folder but winbuilder.exe reads only the .script file, which is what i want but with a feature of wb instead of using a temporary backdoor.

continuing from your test, to make single file
process section is not read by wb, which is not what i want
if you click small green button on a43, there comes "hello world"
if you click big blue button to make build, "hello world" dont come (that is not wanted)

peter
although "seperate idea" i already wrote was simple and very fast feature to add !!
lets continue less theory with single file method as you wish

wb creates this shortcut
\Target\nativeEx_barebone_075\$ModelRAM\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\File Management\Explorers\A43 File Management Utility.lnk
by using info from here
a43_nu2menu.xml

how can i delete this shortcut during [process] by reading a43_nu2menu.xml info, so i can use my own shorcut selection by interface on wb.

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #8
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 2 2008, 06:09 PM) *
from now on, i guess you dont like the idea of seperating files, which is already there if you downloaded and look wbwanted_winamp2example.rar
When you download and open winbuilder.exe you will see only winamp_kare.script on the interface of wb, when you browse files, you will see both .inf and .script file in folder but winbuilder.exe reads only the .script file, which is what i want but with a feature of wb instead of using a temporary backdoor.

From my PM you know that I personally also prefer the 2-scripts-solution with something like 'Winbuilder=0'

But Nuno is the creator of the WB world, and he knows the best way for the future.
If his idea would be bad, I would contradict. But the idea is not bad ...

I never would trust into such a random 'feature' like the space in the section name. As soon as by some new internal reorganisation there comes a 'Trim' into the code, this 'feature' is lost.
continuing from your test, to make single file
process section is not read by wb, which is not what i want
if you click small green button on a43, there comes "hello world"
if you click big blue button to make build, "hello world" dont come (that is not wanted)

I already saw this and uploaded a fixed version. Perhaps you have been too fast.
To be sure (maybe I uploaded the old version the second time) I just uploaded again.
If there is no wodoo.gif working, green AND blue triangle should bring the Hello World message.
although "seperate idea" i already wrote was simple and very fast feature to add !!
lets continue less theory with single file method as you wish

wb creates this shortcut
\Target\nativeEx_barebone_075\$ModelRAM\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\File Management\Explorers\A43 File Management Utility.lnk
by using info from here
a43_nu2menu.xml

how can i delete this shortcut during [process] by reading a43_nu2menu.xml info, so i can use my own shorcut selection by interface on wb.

CODE
[Process]
  <some WB commands>
  FileDelete,<path to the nu2menu based shortcut>
  Set,%ProgramTitle%,<???>
  Set,%ProgramEXE%=<???>
  Set,%ProgramFolder%=<???>
//you can choose by check box selection
  If,%pCheckBox1%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,StartMenu
// etc. etc.
  <some other WB commands>

Peter

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #9
Lancelot
Frequent Member   ******

Turkiye

peter

outoftopic, "List index out of bounds" i reported here now solved with wb075b5B thumbup.gif

oki, continuing from singlefile idea

I already saw this and uploaded a fixed version. Perhaps you have been too fast

thumbup.gif

[Main] section in a43.inf is not on the main interface screen. (no description, v0) at first run
after clicking edit-->description, close with small x
now there is [Main] section on wb screen, but now we understand title forgotten in [Main] section in a43.inf

i have a suggestion
when there is [Main] section in .inf file, can main screen show this .inf with single quote (') instead of double quote ("). So user will know this .inf file is prepared for wb (yes i know we can understand from interface too, but i guess it is a nice suggestion if you agree)

can you help with writing for a43 (as an example)
i dont know which variables to use!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #10
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 2 2008, 07:24 PM) *
outoftopic, "List index out of bounds" i reported here now solved with wb075b5B thumbup.gif

Good and bad!

Good: It's gone
Bad: I do not like if everything works well and nobody knows why.
But let's assume the issue is based on the reconstructions we did since about beta 5 x and now solved for ever(?)
[Main] section in a43.inf is not on the main interface screen. (no description, v0) at first run
after clicking edit-->description, close with small x
now there is [Main] section on wb screen, but now we understand title forgotten in [Main] section in a43.inf

I do not really understand
  • What happens?
  • Is that applause or critics?
If it is an important issue, please explain to a stupid '0 or 1' man

can you help with writing for a43 (as an example)
i dont know which variables to use!!

Lancelot, Lancelot ...
I think you are a .script developer cheers.gif

This <path ...> consists out of two parts
  1. The path to the buildModel user directory: '\Target\nativeEx_barebone_075\$ModelRAM\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\'
    Here the path is known to WinBuilder, and after reading [TargetPaths]Startmenu_Programs from projectinfo.ini into maybe %Lancelot%, you can use for part 1: '%TargetDir%\%Lancelot%'
  2. The second part is a secret of Mr. Bart. And therefore it is understandable, that a program of Mr. Nuno cannot understand the secret in detail.
    Here you MUST use the hardcoded part, nu2Menu delivers, in your case 'File Management\Explorers\A43 File Management Utility.lnk'
The final command is:
IniRead,%ProjectInfo%,TargetPaths,Startmenu_Programs,%Lancelot%
FileDelete,%TargetDir%\%Lancelot%\File Management\Explorers\A43 File Management Utility.lnk

Sorry, no guarantee. I did not test.
It is just a 'wrote down' how it can work. If there is a typo or similar, not intended.

But I do not write your .scripts.

You are the .script developer ...

Peter cheers.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Script Drive Letter Change in WinPE 3.0
7 crazykroger 480 19th November 2009 - 05:12 AM
Last post by: allanf
No new Topic has attachmentsScript integrity
Added feature in WinBuilder.exe
39 psc 2,010 15th November 2009 - 06:50 PM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts wbzip.exe
is difficult to find ?
7 wendy 409 10th November 2009 - 09:22 AM
Last post by: wendy
No New Posts Format USB stick without HP Format tool
are there scriptable alternatives that run under xp,vista and 7?
5 ctmag 588 6th November 2009 - 04:49 PM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts Forum fatal error message clicking one topic
1 ktp 188 28th October 2009 - 07:38 PM
Last post by: jaclaz

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum