There is 3 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 2 Page : 3 Next page 

> Windows7 as source?

MedEvil
post Dec 19 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Platinum Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 2,192

Well i can build from win2k3, which is free to download.
Also the nforce thing i don't quite get, do you mean really one driver for all lan or would a set of nforce drivers be good enough. Cause the later works quite well.

Your other points seem to be valid, but then i have no experience with Vista. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)
Go to the top of the page

Nuno Brito
post Dec 19 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #12

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1

Portugal

Don't forget about FBWF features which are so handy to use or the differences between NTFS versions that *might (?)* corrupt your file systems.

Also, Windows PE 2.x comes ready out of the box for RAM boot which is easier to use at CD/DVD, USB pendisks or PXE LAN boot.

----------

Would be fun to give a shot at building "our" Windows 7 from source.

MedEvil
post Dec 19 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #13

Platinum Member

FBWF has worked for PE 1.x long before it worked for VistaPE! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
And for NTFS 6.0 in XP is a patch available, as far as i know.

Ramboot is really a drawback for XP based builds, but not for Win2k3 based builds. Though, i still don't understand, why it won't work with XP, especialy since it was planed for as one can read in ntldr and setupldr. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif)

Nuno Brito
post Dec 19 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #14

Platinum Member

Portugal

Yes, I know it worked but I meant working as an out-of-the-box feature instead of joining several pieces of software from other MS developments.

It's legal to use WinPE 2.x from WAIK for free but you can't say the same with miscellaneous licenses from Windows Embedded, Windows XP and Windows 2003 (trial) where a license must be purchased and certain features like FBWF are very specific to certain products that they have designated.

MedEvil
post Dec 19 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #15

Platinum Member

Unfortunately, the license to use WAIK is also restrictive enough to make a PE of our style illegal.

I stumbled across this, when i had the idea for a 'free Windows'. It was meant to be assembled of only freely and legaly downloadable parts.
However freely and legaly downloadable, does unfortunately not mean freely and legaly usable. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/frusty.gif)

Nuno Brito
post Dec 19 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #16

Platinum Member

Portugal

eheh.. I understand you really well.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--

A question to the audience: Is there any MS-law that prevents us from building a running windows OS without using their in-house install process? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Lancelot
post Dec 19 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #17

Bug Catcher - Status: New Home

Member No.: 15,072

Turkiye

QUOTE (ctmag @ Dec 19 2008, 10:49 AM) *
well, 90% should be possible with XP PE but there will be some things that can't be done under XP

QUOTE (ctmag @ Dec 19 2008, 02:36 PM) *
- ever got an nforce lan driver working that works on all nforce boards under XP PE?

on the other hand, nforce lan drivers can be prepared (and already prepared) for all nforce boards (defined in dps package), and already we have script which automatically selects and installs (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
- can you build xp based PE from completely free downloadbale sources like VPE is done from server 2008?
Yes, as MedEvil pointed out, 2k3sp1 and 2k3sp2

also there are utilities that take drivers from vista (x86 - x64) which are used with pe1. And i saw driver injection utility (that works with also pe1) to vista yesterday and there will be similar projects coming soon, well i am not a vista fun and dont use vista.

besides about this %10, new ntfs is not supported by pe1 which doesnt make trouble for accessing files but Vista Symbolic links and junctions cannot be understandable by pe (or xp), lets see what will happen (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

- ever used VistaRecoveryEnvironment under XP PE :-) (really handy when fixing vista systems, especially when using msdart 6 (also needed for troubleshooting vista systems)
nope, but i used vista recovery for a friend, yep handful.
i have MSDaRT60_x86.msi , is there a way to use with livexp or bartpe !? if there is can you give me a direction??

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Dec 19 2008, 06:43 PM) *
And for NTFS 6.0 in XP is a patch available, as far as i know.
Where is it??

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Dec 19 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Ramboot is really a drawback for XP based builds, but not for Win2k3 based builds. Though, i still don't understand, why it won't work with XP, especialy since it was planed for as one can read in ntldr and setupldr. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif)
Sorry for my english, can you confirm this: You say iso files created with source2k3 dont work with ramboot? (ramdisk.sys iso boot)

JonF
post Dec 19 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #18

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,319

United States

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 19 2008, 06:05 PM) *
i have MSDaRT60_x86.msi , is there a way to use with livexp or bartpe !? if there is can you give me a direction??

There is no known way. The problem is sort of like setting target_root but much more difficult. It only runs once the proper conditions are established, and they are a lot more than environment variables. Only Billy knows what the needs are. Only the WIndows Vista Recovery Environment establishes the proper conditions. And getting that to run in LiveXP or equivalent is similar to getting MSDaRT to run in LiveXP.

MedEvil
post Dec 20 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #19

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 20 2008, 12:05 AM) *
Where is it??

The usual place at M$, i presume. Should also be in SP3.

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Dec 20 2008, 12:05 AM) *
Sorry for my english, can you confirm this: You say iso files created with source2k3 dont work with ramboot? (ramdisk.sys iso boot)

No! Misunderstanding!!!
PE build from pure XP source can not ramboot. But when you read inside ntldr and setupldr, you will find references to a ramboot.
So it was appearantly planed at some point and then droped for some reason.

Lancelot
post Dec 20 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #20

Bug Catcher - Status: New Home

Member No.: 15,072

Turkiye

JonF
Thank you for information

MedEvil

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Dec 20 2008, 02:06 AM) *
you will find references to a ramboot.
So it was appearantly planed at some point and then droped for some reason.
Yep i remember that, and now understand what you mean.

QUOTE (MedEvil @ Dec 20 2008, 02:06 AM) *
The usual place at M$, i presume. Should also be in SP3.
So you say, xpsp3 can read symbolic links and junctions of ntfs6 ! example: you have vista (normally installed) on 2nd harddisk, and with xpsp3 hostos you are using, you can easly get right info about symbolic links and junctions on 2nd disk's vista partition.

If so It will be hard for me to try that, i add to my todo list (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There is 3 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 2 Page : 3 Next page

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

>

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachments Source Editor
Search / Replace
7 psc 234 14th March 2009 - 08:01 AM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts Topic has attachments Source Formatting
Indents inside Begin / End blocks
4 psc 398 30th January 2009 - 06:26 PM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts Topic has attachments ASUS P5B anakartı sata ahci disketi
7 saydin77 431 21st November 2008 - 05:48 PM
Last post by: Lancelot
No New Posts Topic has attachments associating pdf filetype -> Error - End
Unchanged 075 beta 5
4 ladiko 448 5th November 2008 - 11:34 AM
Last post by: ladiko
No New Posts AsusP5B Board Bilgileri
Turkish
2 Lancelot 1,558 17th September 2008 - 09:37 AM
Last post by: Lancelot

menu_build_menu( "topicreferrals", new Array( img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...s.aspx?q=member   10 clicks", img_item + " msdart60_x86.msi   8 clicks", img_item + " imdisk windows7   7 clicks", img_item + " http://www.boot-land.net/   4 clicks", img_item + " vistape windows7   3 clicks", img_item + " msdart60_x86   3 clicks", img_item + " winbuilder windows7   3 clicks", img_item + " grub4dos windows7   3 clicks", img_item + " windows7 pe   3 clicks", img_item + " windows7 grub4dos   2 clicks", img_item + " http://boot-land.net/foru...s/wb_server.php   2 clicks", img_item + " boot land windows7   2 clicks", img_item + " windows7 as source   2 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...ndows7+boot+usb   2 clicks", img_item + " windows7 as source to vistape   2 clicks", img_item + " winbuilder windows7   2 clicks", img_item + " http://search.live.com/re...amp;Form=IE8SRC   2 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 fbwf   2 clicks", img_item + " windows7 turkish language support   2 clicks", img_item + " windows7 site:www.boot-land.net   2 clicks", img_item + " fbwf windows 7   2 clicks", img_item + " boot msdart60_x86.msi   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...e+from+windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " bartpe msdart60_x86   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart 6 -dll boot   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape with windows7 cd   1 clicks", img_item + " fbwf symbolic links   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart60_x86.msi download   1 clicks", img_item + " site:www.boot-land.net ...indows 7 pe 3.0   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart60_x86.msi   1 clicks", img_item + " bartpe +windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " windows7 source vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " site:boot-land.net windows 7   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart6   1 clicks", img_item + " windows7 sources   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...aspx?q=msdart60   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape and windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape windows 7   1 clicks", img_item + " ape windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.live.com/re...amp;FORM=BMMENO   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart60_x86.msi how to use   1 clicks", img_item + " sk windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " windows7 driver lan   1 clicks", img_item + " windows7 nforce   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 pe site:boot-land.net   1 clicks", img_item + " windows7 winbuilder   1 clicks", img_item + " bartpe windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " pe 3.0 windows7   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape using windows7 as source   1 clicks", img_item + " msdart winpe   1 clicks", img_item + " yahoouk windows7   1 clicks" ) );

RSS "Boot-Land.net", "WinBuilder" Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2009 - 10:10 AM