IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recommended
BootDisk.com

Active Users

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
VMware Player or Workstation from PE boot disk, Is there a project to invoke the VMWare Player?
Fleagle
post Oct 8 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 19,065

United States

Hi -- new to the group and all that, but I've spent the day looking through the site, playing with Winbuilder and still can't figure out how to do what I started out to accomplish. Simply put:

I'd like to have a CD (since nearly all PCs have CDs, but not all PCs can boot from USB drives) that would boot up and allow me to run the VMWare Player or Workstation (either would be okay) and then to use VM to run a Virtual Machine from a portable (i.e. external) USB hard drive.

Purpose: This would provide a complete disaster recovery solution for me as I currently run my "production" desktop environment as a virtual machine (My physical machine has nothing installed on it but VMWare Workstation.) Being able to back that "production" VM image up to a portable hard drive means I'd always be able to have my "computer" just as it was before the harddrive failure, power loss, hurricane or whatever -- as long as I had the boot disk, portable hard drive and access to a computer to run them on. It would mean that I could "carry my computer in my pocket" so to speak.

This topic may already be addressed, if so I apologize but I haven't found it.

Has someone already done this and is there an available "project" they'd share?
If not can someone tell me (PLEASE keep it simple -- I confuse easily) how to build one myself?
Or tell me it can't be done because of ....

Thank you so much for any help

Fleagle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Galapo
post Oct 8 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 106
Member No.: 11

Australia

Peter has developed the nativeEx_moa-lite project, which provides VMWare Player in a PE. The script is used with a couple of adjustments in the LiveXP project as well (with 'complete' download), but that project also adds the option of also including VMWare Converter.

Of course, MOA is where it all began: http://sanbarrow.com/

Regards,
Galapo.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Galapo For This Useful Post:
Fleagle
Fleagle
post Oct 9 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #3

United States

Thank you! Found it, tried it, liked it.

Now my brain is spinning with all the possibilities ...

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Fleagle

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 9 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Guru

Thank(s): 87
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (Fleagle @ Oct 9 2008, 06:30 PM) *

Congratulations!
Usually a new user with 'unusual' intentions needs much more time for the first success! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Your post does not tell us whether you uses Ulli's original or my 'imitation'
If you use mine, I would be glad to get suggestions, requests etc. and to implement them.

Peter

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 9 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 9 2008, 06:40 PM) *
Your post does not tell us whether you uses Ulli's original or my 'imitation'
If you use mine, I would be glad to get suggestions, requests etc. and to implement them.

Maybe a good idea would be to provide a link to your version....(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 9 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #6

Guru

Germany

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Maybe a good idea would be to provide a link to your version.... (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/happy22.gif)

jaclaz

It is contained in the standard WB download under 'nativeEx'.

I think if it is not used frequently, a URL in my signature etc. is not necessary.
Agreed?

Peter

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 9 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #7

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 9 2008, 07:14 PM) *
It is contained in the standard WB download under 'nativeEx'.

I think if it is not used frequently, a URL in my signature etc. is not necessary.
Agreed?

Peter

Sure (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , but how would Fleagle or any (new or old) other member know that it was contained inside "nativeEx", if I hadn't "publicly extorted" you this piece of info? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 9 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #8

Guru

Germany

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 9 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Sure (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , but how would Fleagle or any (new or old) other member know that it was contained inside "nativeEx", if I hadn't "publicly extorted" you this piece of info? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

Maybe I'm too 'guru' and thinking that everything I wrote anywhere is visible for every user.

Thanks for the hint. I try to find a solution (which of course for me needs only some seconds of admin time and does not influence my creative development time too much (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) )

But perhaps this is a topic to be discussed generally: Something like 'logical' site map etc. for new members.

Peter

+Quote Post
Fleagle
post Oct 10 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #9

United States

QUOTE (Fleagle @ Oct 9 2008, 11:30 AM) *

I used the version called "lx82808mx" and removed quite a few items until I had what I needed. (It's the old approach of keep unchecking things until it compiles successfully). Now that I have one that works, I'll start adding (checking) items back in.

I admit I got frustrated yesterday after downloading WinBuilder and both LiveXP and VistaPE. I tried each of them and kept coming up with errors in the compiles due to items being either incomplete or by my lack of knowledge about what the scripts wanted and what the various things meant. For example, both Create ISO and BootSDI were checked. WinBuilder didn't like that and I didn't know what an SDI was or how to give it what it needed. So I turned it off continued. Then I found out that I couldn't just blindly run all the scripts "as is" but needed to review each one and see if it needed some information (like location of your Win XP source, for example -- okay, I should have known better, but it was all new to me. I naively thought I could just download it and run it as is). Some of the scripts require Win 2003 and I couldn't figure out what Win 2003 was. I was familiar with Office 2003 but hadn't encountered Win 2003 before. Again, just a learning curve.

I am VERY greatful to all of the folks who have obviously done so much work in developing such a neat environment. Now my problem is how to go slow. My mind is leaping to absurd conclusions and I have to keep reminding myself "This is not a customizable operating system, it's a pre-installation environment", but it's hard because so much is here.

My original quest for "MY computer in my pocket" is resolved and I feel I've got a really good disaster recover setup. I have a CD and portable hard drive (with my VMWare images and all my documents on it) and can boot it on most any other computer (given enough memory) and run them using the VM Player.

Just in case you're curious, my physical machine is an HP Quad with 3.5 GB of memory running Vista Ultimage 64-bit (yes, I know, but at the time I thought that there would be 64-bit apps by now) and the only program I've installed on the physical machine is VMWare Workstation. This keeps it clean and performing well. Under VM I run a production 32-bit Vista (Office, Money, scanning, printing, etc.), and several test machines including one called TinyVista (stripped by someone else using V-Lite). I'm slowly creating Portable Apps with VMWare's ThinApp and intend to migrate my production machine to the minimal memory TinyVista machine running as many portable (non-installed) apps as possible. This is probably what will eventually go onto my portable harddrive. There are still things that can't be done with ThinApp, like device drivers for hardware, but I may be able to get those into my pre-environment and have them accessible from the TinyVista VM.

I'm sure somebody is thinking, "What in the world for?". Well, this keeps my mind from atrophying, now that I'm retired (used to be an IT Director).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all you've done. This is so cool.

Fleagle

+Quote Post
Galapo
post Oct 10 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 106
Member No.: 11

Australia

Hi Fleagle,

Glad you had success!

QUOTE (Fleagle @ Oct 10 2008, 12:22 PM) *
For example, both Create ISO and BootSDI were checked. WinBuilder didn't like that and I didn't know what an SDI was or how to give it what it needed.

I'm not sure why you had this happen if you downloaded LiveXP only yesterday. I checked to make sure, and the BootSDI script currently on the server is not selected by default. Also, by default you should not have to customise anything at all to get a successful first build, other than pointing to your source CD/files. This makes me think you downloaded from elsewhere other than from the livexp server: livexp.boot-land.net. The server should be visible by default in the WinBuilder.exe download centre.

Regards,
Galapo.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · PC emulators · Next Newest »

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2008 - 09:09 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS