IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recommended
BootDisk.com

Active Users

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
VMware Player or Workstation from PE boot disk, Is there a project to invoke the VMWare Player?
Fleagle
post Today, 04:44 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 19,065

amalux,

I don't know that any solution is better than any other, all have their pros and cons. The main point is to have one. I think this one will work for me.

The VM solution means that I don't have to backup or restore hard drive to hard drive. Also, I don't have to copy anything to someone else's computer to run my stuff. By simply booting a PE disk and starting the VM Player, I can almost immediately be running "my production setup". When I'm done, I just remove the CD and unplug the drive leaving no traces behind. By the same token, running "portable apps" means that I don't have to have them installed into whatever Windows-based OS I may want to run, they just become plug and play applications and don't take up any resources when they're not being used. Yes, they do load a little slower and yes, I do have to ensure that all supporting routines are there between XP and Vista for example. But in general, I've found that Microsoft's WOW does a good job of ensuring that for me and I typically don't have to do anything. Portable Apps can also run from a menu on a Sandisk Cruzr USB stick (of course you can run a PE from a stick as well). I thought that might be my solution until I found out that not every computer can be made to boot from a stick through the BIOS.

There are things that you can't virtualize to a portable app via VMWare ThinApp: things like device drivers (scanners, printers) or really "hooked-in" apps like Outlook or ActiveSync. But I've been surprised how many things can run that way.

How I got started on the idea of using VM Player and a PE CD came about during Hurricane IKE. I was without power for two weeks, although I had family that did have power. I didn't feel comfortable "messing up" their computers by installing my stuff (even just the VM Player). But I had VM machines on a portable hard drive -- I just didn't have a way to acess them! Now between the PE CD and a shirt pocket USB HDD, I have my "computer in my pocket".

If I had a laptop, this all might have been moot, but my desktop is a bit heavy to haul around and tears my shirt when I try to get it into the pocket. My wife said to find another way, so here I am.

Fleagle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
amalux
post Today, 05:06 PM
Post #22

bug-catcher

Group: Tutorial Writer
Thank(s): 54
Member No.: 2,966

United States

Fleagle,

All great points! AFAIK, all can be achieved wout the VM but you've made a convincing argument for it and it may afford additional flexibility I'm unaware of. You've piqued my interest in VM again and I might have to call on you for tips in my further exploration of its potential. Glad to have a resident VM expert to call on for advice (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to amalux For This Useful Post:
Fleagle
jaclaz
post Today, 05:12 PM
Post #23

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (Fleagle @ Oct 11 2008, 06:44 AM) *
If I had a laptop, this all might have been moot, but my desktop is a bit heavy to haul around and tears my shirt when I try to get it into the pocket. My wife said to find another way, so here I am.

FYI, yet another way:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5880
(provided you have LARGISH pockets)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Hello world! · Next Newest »

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th October 2008 - 09:04 PM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS