Standard VistaPE build failure
jkolak
post Sep 30 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 18,542

United States

This is my first time trying Winbuilder.

I tried all three recommended projects (LiveXP, ReactOS, and Vista PE). Only the ReactOS was successul. Let's start at the VistaPE project for which I have attached the log file.

This is an Acer laptop, Travelmate 2480 running Windows Vista with all the available updates. I did create a folder on the hdd and copied all the contents of the Windows install DVD. I then set the path in Winbuilder to point to that for my Windows source files. Just using the hdd for the install. Both the Winbuilder folder and the Vista install DVD file folder are on the directory C:\.

CPU is Celeron M 410. Winbuilder is 075 Beta 5.

After I verified that all the files in the project downloaded, I clicked on Play. The log file is very short because it didn't run very long before it halted.

Thanks,

John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  logVistaPE.html ( 19.9K ) Number of downloads: 14

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psc
post Sep 30 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Guru

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 83
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (jkolak @ Sep 30 2008, 11:37 AM) *
This is my first time trying Winbuilder.

I tried all three recommended projects (LiveXP, ReactOS, and Vista PE). Only the ReactOS was successul.

Hi John, welcome in our community.

It is disappointing in the first trial to have such unsuccess.

May I inspite of that ask you to try the nativeEx_barebone_075 in my signature.

If that fails, too, there is something strange with your host, which is unknown until now and we have to find.

If that works, that is the first step to 'upgrade' to LiveXP.

(LiveXP is one of the 'doing some work' nativeEx based projects; nativeEx_barebone_075 is a minimized nativeEx project w/o productive apps etc.)

Peter

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to psc For This Useful Post:
jkolak
JonF
post Sep 30 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 46
Member No.: 2,319

United States

It's looking for the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FltMgr\DisplayName. Can you open regedit and verify that that key does not exist? If it does not, it looks like a bug in VistaPE.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to JonF For This Useful Post:
jkolak
homes32
post Oct 1 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 16,433

United States

QUOTE (JonF @ Sep 30 2008, 03:39 PM) *
It's looking for the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FltMgr\DisplayName. Can you open regedit and verify that that key does not exist? If it does not, it looks like a bug in VistaPE.

I had this problem 2 days ago and installing WAIK fixed it as the script then used imagex and skipped the part of the script where it looks for another tool.

this had me frustrated for a day or 2 because it worked fine with just a vista source dvd, then I installed WAIK (just for fun) did a few builds and uninstalled it and it started throwing the error. reinstalled WAIK and now its working.

anybody else get the similar results?

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to homes32 For This Useful Post:
jkolak
jkolak
post Oct 3 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #5

United States

QUOTE (JonF @ Sep 30 2008, 01:39 PM) *

Thanks Jon. That's correct. The key does not exist. Under FltMgr the only folder is Enum.

+Quote Post
ctmag
post Oct 3 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 14
Member No.: 15,320

Germany

well both imagex and the wimtool need a driver to do their job, the missing reg key normally means the driver is not installed corectly...

you should be able to fix this with "wimutilexe Install". wimutil should be in you tools folder...

Only do this when not using waik...

BTW: what windows version do you use (64 or 32 bit) and under vista, did you disable useraccouncontrol and did you start as WB Administrator?

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to ctmag For This Useful Post:
jkolak
jkolak
post Oct 4 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #7

United States

QUOTE (psc @ Sep 30 2008, 10:20 AM) *
Hi John, welcome in our community.

It is disappointing in the first trial to have such unsuccess.

May I inspite of that ask you to try the nativeEx_barebone_075 in my signature.

If that fails, too, there is something strange with your host, which is unknown until now and we have to find.

If that works, that is the first step to 'upgrade' to LiveXP.

(LiveXP is one of the 'doing some work' nativeEx based projects; nativeEx_barebone_075 is a minimized nativeEx project w/o productive apps etc.)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Regarding the host, I am actually trying two separate computers to get this running. The desktop is a Celeron 430 running XP with all current updates.

The curious thing is that when I tried the Vista install again on the desktop, it had exactly the same halt on the FltLdr missing key that happened on the laptop. Checking regedit, it also confirms that the item does not exist in my registry.

So trying your barebones install, it also failed on both computers. I'm attaching the log files. Hmm... seems I didn't get one from the desktop, but I have two from the laptop. I forgot about the Run as Admin feature in Vista, so the second one was run as admin.

The good news is that after the LiveXP project failed on the desktop, I ran it again on the laptop, and I was able to get a good LiveXP CD.

The next problem is that the computer I need to work with has a monitor that is limited to 800x600, but the LiveXP CD is setup at 1024x768. Hoping to avoid the mess of moving monitors around, is there a way to setup LiveXP to boot into 800x600? ReactOS boots at 800x600, but it does not behave very well, and it's usefulness is limited (the ISO is only 64MB).

Thanks,

John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  logBareboneXPfail_admin_fail_dir_copy.html ( 334.54K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
jkolak
post Oct 4 2008, 04:21 AM
Post #8

United States

Seems my second barebones log file was too large to send together with the first, so here it is here.

Interesting thing is that it cannot execute Vbox. There is no Vbox directory on my hard drive. The curious thing is that the other boot projects tried to run virtually, but they ran under QEMU.

Well, it seems I am at my attachment space limit, so we won't get to look at this one...

+Quote Post
Galapo
post Oct 4 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 86
Member No.: 11

Australia

QUOTE (jkolak @ Oct 4 2008, 02:09 PM) *
The good news is that after the LiveXP project failed on the desktop, I ran it again on the laptop, and I was able to get a good LiveXP CD.

Choose your desired default resolution on the SetResolution script.

Regards,
Galapo.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Galapo For This Useful Post:
jkolak
jkolak
post Oct 6 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #10

United States

QUOTE (homes32 @ Oct 1 2008, 08:19 AM) *
I had this problem 2 days ago and installing WAIK fixed it as the script then used imagex and skipped the part of the script where it looks for another tool.

this had me frustrated for a day or 2 because it worked fine with just a vista source dvd, then I installed WAIK (just for fun) did a few builds and uninstalled it and it started throwing the error. reinstalled WAIK and now its working.

anybody else get the similar results?

Thanks for the heads up. I went with the wimutil install instead with took care of this issue.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Support and Bug reporting · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 09:05 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS