LiveXP on a USB External HD
newnec1
post Sep 18 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 18,298

United States

What I am tring to do is setup livexp to be setup on a external hard drive and be able to boot from any computer.

I am tring to create a rescue/virus/spyware removal drive for repairing computers.

I have a 320 gb my passport laptop size drive. I am having a hard time finding some info on booting livexp from a external usb drive.

Can someone help by guidiung me in the right direction?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 18 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Bug Catcher

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 48
Member No.: 15,072

Turkey

There are lots of possible ways,
i prefer using grub4dos and do next
have you checked tutorial section? lots of nice tutorials there that should help. http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showforum=31

+Quote Post
amalux
post Sep 21 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #3

bug-catcher

Group: Tutorial Writer
Thank(s): 54
Member No.: 2,966

United States

Lancelot,

I have spent some time looking and cannot find the tutorial you speak of. Remember, this is for booting LiveXP from an external USB hard drive (not UFD). If you could direct me to the tutorial you speak of I would appreciate it (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 22 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #4

Bug Catcher

Turkey

amalux

interesting, i cant direct but i thought there should be.
than now we need a tutorial to make if there dont exist (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
i myself use a 12gb old eide disk for trials and made a turkish tutorial to make "usb flash/2nd hd/1st hd of os", i will try to transfer and modify tutorial here. For now i dont have a usb external hd to make a trial but i guess there wont be a problem and hope you help for approval if you have usb ext hd.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 22 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Finder

Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

I cannot see any difference (nor can Windows SETUPLDR.BIN AFAIK) between a partitioned USB stick and and a USB drive.

There can be actually a difference, i.e. the Removable/Fixed "flippable" bit, but it is NOT relevant for PE booting, on the contrary, having the "flippable" bit set to "Fixed" on USB sticks (as it normally is on ANY USB HD controller) allows for more possibilities.

(there are problems with windows SETUP, solved by using the rdummy.sys filter driver, but these won't affect a PE)

So the SAME tutorial can be used for any partitioned device, being it a USB stick or a USB hard drive.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 22 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Bug Catcher

Turkey

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Sep 22 2008, 04:35 PM) *
So the SAME tutorial can be used for any partitioned device, being it a USB stick or a USB hard drive.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)
+2nd harddrive

so no need to write another tutorial (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

and maybe a notice to tutorials at the top that writes "Tutorial for External USB Drive ( USB stick + USB hard drive ) + 2nd harddrive" would be nice for searchers. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
amalux
post Sep 22 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #7

bug-catcher

United States

Nope, sorry, not so fast! This may be one of those times where theory doesn't comport with reality (or visa versa?). I can setup (almost) any UFD (USB flash drive) to boot LiveXP by using PeToUSB to transfer files from LiveXP Target to USB drive and use a modded ntdetect, easy but have been unable to reproduce from any external USB hard drive even if setup with <2GB FAT partition. PeToUSB does not recognize drive and all attempts at 'flipping' the Removable/Fixed bit have failed (this is why I need a tutorial). I tried wimb's method which works fine for fixed hdd's but still no luck with USB hdd (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Bug Catcher

Turkey

amalux

interesting, sorry i cant test as i wrote before i dont have usbhd for now,
let me ask question:
1)
does image prepared with bootsdi method works with usbhd?

2)
i use ntdetect and start grub4dos from boot.ini
CODE
C:\grldr="Start GRUB"

and in menu.lst
CODE
title BartPE
find --set-root /minint/setupldr.bin
chainloader /minint/setupldr.bin

does this method work for you with usbhd?

ps: i sent a pm to you amalux? maybe you dont get notified due to some problems in boot-land.net these days.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 22 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Finder

Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

amalux,
you missed some of the "history" lessons. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

PetoUSB was "born" here:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=13784
as a solution to the fact that UNLIKE HD device (read devices with the "Fixed" bit set) the XP built-in disk manager is not capable of writing a MBR to a USB stick (read device with "Removable" bit set).

It is/was an alternative to the HP (actually m-systems) USB Format utility.

In the meantime other solutions have been devised/developed/found, most notably (in no particular order):
1) Using VISTA diskpart which (again UNLIKE XP diskpart) manages USB sticks allright, regardless of the setting of the "flippable" bit
2) Using my own small batches, see here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5000
3) Using Linux utilities
4) Using DOS utilities
5) A number of "brand specific" manufacturer utilities

At the time when PetoUSB was developed, and I originally wrote my pages:
http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...B/USBstick.html
http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html
almost three years ago, size of sticks (and also "level of knowledge on the topic") was much smaller than today, and at the time PetoUSB was a perfect solution for USB sticks only.

Today, while it remains "limited" by design to USB sticks only, it is also lacking functionalities for ANY stick bigger than 2 Mb.

But the added feature of copying the PE files on the stick is just a feature or a commodity, if you prefer, it's availability should not make you forget that one can make a PE boot from HD like devices manually.

For USB HD (read devices with the "Fixed" bit set) simply:
1) use XP built-in disk manager to partition the device and format (at least) one Primary Active partition
2) copy to it's root SETUPLDR.BIN and NTDETECT.COM
3) rename SETUPLDR.BIN to NTLDR
4) copy the \I386 directory of your PE (.iso or CD) build to the device
5) rename \I386 to \minint
6) boot from the device

Of course variations using grub4dos' grldr, directly through grldr.mbr or indirectly through NTLDR+BOOT.INI, etc. can be added.

Maybe today the above, due to the use (or abuse) of "automated" utilities is becoming "forgotten knowledge" (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

If you have any problem in following the above steps or have any questions on them, or more generally to booting any PE from USB HD (read devices with the "Fixed" bit set), just ask them, I am sure I can help you on this specific topic.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
amalux
post Sep 22 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #10

bug-catcher

United States

does image prepared with bootsdi method works with usbhd?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The way I'm trying to do this is with PeToUSB accessing the LiveXP Target files so I don't think BootSDI matters here (BootSDI is used in the build though). I've also tried wimb's method, using SDI booted from first partition and selected from boot menu; this works fine if partition is on internal hdd but not from external USB drive. Also, I don't want to use a boot menu, I just want the BIOS to check for a bootable USB drive and if there, boot from it; the same way it does with a UFD.

As for option 2, even if I wanted a boot menu I don't think this works; my BIOS only checks for the USB drive if setup as first boot device and seems oblivious to other options; my attempts at getting it to 'see' the internal drive partitions have all failed; if I boot from internal drive with boot menu to access USB drive, this defeats the purpose of a portable boot device. Anyway, like I said, I really don't want a boot menu for this as the USB drive would only be there when needed on any given machine I'm booting from; which is exactly how it works with a UFD. Bottom line, I want the external USB drive to work exactly as my UFD. It may be a simple matter of not knowing how to setup my external USB as a removable device, where can I find instruction on this that is strait forward and clear?

ps: i sent a pm to you amalux? maybe you dont get notified due to some problems in boot-land.net these days.

Yes, there have been issues last couple days but I did get your PM and responded, twice (the second time just had a link) - Did you get them?

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · nativeEx & LiveXP · Next Newest »

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:59 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS