Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topic
 [PortableApps] Portable Virtual Machine, Here are some I found!
post Sep 16 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #11
ispy
Silver Member   ****
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 84

Hi sanbarrow biggrin.gif ,

Sun xVM is actually "Virtual Box software" in several varieties OpenxVM, (consisting of Virtual box & virtual server), Virtual Box, virtual server, sun VDI & Sun xVM ops center. Questions - Can it be made portable Yes/No or partly & what is its system requirements or overheads? How do you set it up?

From post #1 are these the same that you use or are they a totally different product?
portable virtualBox 32 bit http://www.file-upload.net/download-109947...-32Bit-.7z.html
Portable virtual box 32 & 64 bit http://www.file-upload.net/download-109944...-64Bit-.7z.html

R&R,

ispy thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
post Sep 16 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #12
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 45

How do you set it up?

I just take current download - formerly known as the artist named ... oops - wrong story - formerly known as VirtualBox and install it once.
Once I got the files together I ignore all that is copied to system32 and all registry.
I just run the batch from the post I linked before in this thread.
Really simple.
In MOA I don't have any missing dependancies - not sure how this would look in one of the naked winbuilder projects ?

cheers.gif

Ulli
+Quote Post
post Sep 19 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #13
ispy
Silver Member   ****

Hi folks biggrin.gif ,

@ sanbarrow tried Virtualbox would not even install just crashed my system?

Can someone answer this very basic question for me please, slightly off topic I know!

Why is it that Vmware "Workstation" is payware & yet Vmware Server is, "with signing in" free to download & keys are issued liberally? Will Vmware Server only install on a server cuz it just seems like a superior product I'm confused?

Regards,

ispy wink.gif
+Quote Post
post Sep 19 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #14
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****

? - can you explain ? Are you talking about installing on top of a PE ?

Why is it that Vmware "Workstation" is payware & yet Vmware Server is, "with signing in" free to download & keys are issued liberally? Will Vmware Server only install on a server cuz it just seems like a superior product I'm confused?

Yep - that looks queer at first sight.
Actually VMserver was the reaction of VMware when MS appeared with Virtual Server and Virtual PC. At that time they thought they had to give a tool away for free for competition with MS.
So they ripped their server product which was at that time named VMware GSX and relabeled it as VMserver.
Former GSX was something like a Workstation PRO - it included all Workstation features and it allowed remote control. It was priced about 2000 dollar if I remember right.

Now VMserver is something like a stripped Workstation with additional remote control features that are missing in Workstation. Yep - queer cool.gif

And no - VMserver is not for Servers only - VMserver 1.* installs on almost any recent box - VMserver 2 needs some more resources.

Its a pity that VMserver 1 doesn't run on top of PE - I tried for more than a year and gave up. sad.gif
+Quote Post
post Sep 19 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #15
Galapo
Platinum Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 364

Australia

QUOTE (sanbarrow @ Sep 20 2008, 08:59 AM) *
Its a pity that VMserver 1 doesn't run on top of PE - I tried for more than a year and gave up. sad.gif

It really is a shame. I've tried off and on as well, and could never get a local host connection.

I use VMWare server all the time for testing PE images etc. I prefer it as a free alternative to Player for the convenience of not having to use Player + VMXBuilder for creation and editing.

But there is one downside I've found: vmware services make a huge impact on boot time, with fully-booted system taking ages. So I set teh services to manual and start them only as needed with the following:

start_vmware_service.cmd
CODE
net start VMAuthdService
net start VMnetDHCP
net start "VMware NAT Service"
net start vmount2
net start vmserverdWin32
devcon enable @*vmware*

Regards,
Galapo.

--------------------
galapo.boot-land.net
------
Archive of LiveXP recommended project may be found here.
------
Recommended steps to build LiveXP:
1) Download suitable WinBuilder.exe from here and run it;
2) Update through the Download Center by clicking the 'Download' button; and
3) Then build LiveXP by pressing the 'Play' button.
+Quote Post
post Sep 20 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #16
ispy
Silver Member   ****

Hi folks biggrin.gif ,

No sorry, not on a PE system this was on a Full XP+SP2 system, shame too because it looked like it had a nice clean interface. However, if it crashes at the first hurdle, so to speak, its not compatable with my set up therefore I would rather leave it alone, thanks for the mention though, if you do not try these things you will never know.

I am now currently looking at Vmware, there is currently circulating around the WWW. a hack that makes VMPlayer more functional. however if Vmware Workstation is payware & VMWare Server is free, then I might go for VMServer, they gave me 10 sets of keys for it.
And no - VMserver is not for Servers only - VMserver 1.* installs on almost any recent box - VMserver 2 needs some more resources.

Can you elaborate a little more about particularly the - "VMserver 2 needs some more resources",

My version of VMware Server appears to be 1.0.1 build 91891

ispy thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
post Sep 20 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #17
sanbarrow
Silver Member   ****

Hi ispy
http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmser....0.7-108231.exe
is a download of about 150 MB.

Next major version of VMserver 2 (still in beta right now) is about twice or thrice that size.

Current VMserver1 comes with a buildin console to run VMs whereas the next version must be managed through a very heavy (bloated) Java-Tomcat server and a webinterface.
You can also manage it via a dotnet2 interface.
Anyway - if you want something lean you don't want VMserver 2 though it has better virtual hardware - like USB 2 ...

I can't follow VMware's product policy - VMplayer2 can't create VMs, VMserver1 doesn't have USB2 so they have no current product that compares to VirtualBox.
Thats why I recommend to use latest Workstation without license - it allows to create VMs with the GUI - you just must run them through VMplayer.

Last night I made some more tests with VirtualBOX and found out that the last version that runs nicely on top of PE is 1.6.4 huh.gif

Ulli

Ispy - I asked about running Workstation without license - see
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/169788?tstart=0
+Quote Post
post Jun 13 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #18
Rex2010
Newbie   *
Group: Members

Thank(s): 1

China

i think now prayaya V3 is even better chocice. it allows you to directly install almost any software.
+Quote Post
post Jun 13 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #19
MedEvil
Platinum Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 145

Do you have any idea how prayaya internally works?

cheers.gif

--------------------
NaughtyPE - The Multimedia PE!
Requirements: WinBuilder080, XPSP2/W2k3SP1 source, Pentium CPU, 128MB RAM (256MB to use video players)
+Quote Post
post Jun 17 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #20
Rex2010
Newbie   *
Group: Members

Thank(s): 1

China

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY INTERNAL WORK? you mean how it works? sorry i dont know. in a view of a customer, i think it is very cool.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts VirtualBox
Network troubles warning
0 psc 125 15th June 2010 - 10:55 AM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts Portable Apps ... for Linux
2 rawr 305 18th May 2010 - 03:19 AM
Last post by: rawr
No New Posts Virtualized Win7PE
How to configure VMWare or Virtual Box to run an ISO
2 carloscape 544 26th April 2010 - 07:02 PM
Last post by: carloscape
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsvirtual storage driver
from Microsoft
12 bilou_gateux 10,039 11th April 2010 - 09:12 AM
Last post by: bilou_gateux
No new Topic has attachmentsPortable Apps for Win7RescuePE
How To Add Portable App In Win7RescuePE
22 manolis287 2,615 23rd March 2010 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: patsch

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum