mr_
post Sep 12 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Thank(s): 2
Member No.: 16,006

Germany

It must be technically possible, because BartPE (stripped down Windows) can also boot on any hardware configuration. Also DOS works on any hardware (ok, just talking about standard i386 here...). Win9x had a compatibility mode (using BIOS drivers as fallback if nothing else available, for example for harddisk). It was a big regression in XP that it simply stops while starting without giving you the chance in a limited standard mode to install drivers.

Some things are working well. If I install XP first on real hardware I can use the same XP later inside VMware. Also changing the graphic board works some times without new install.

If the hardware configuration is to much different XP will not boot on the new hardware. Which device drivers are causing this? Guess graphic will work always, at least with VGA. (VGA is ok for first start because then you have a chance to install the real drivers.)

Is it only the harddisk controller? Or the USB controller?

How can one setup XP in a way to run on as much as hardware configurations at the same time? Any generic drivers? Any guide to this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ktp
post Sep 13 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 7
Member No.: 3,365

By using Driverpacks and Sysprep driver scanner you can have this "universal" USB HDD booting full XP in almost every machine.
I successfully to boot at least 5 different machines with different CPU/chipset (all Intel though, no AMD to test), and different video/sound cards, disk, etc...
There is an article in MSFN forum that explains this, I have to find it out.
Briefly, you put all the driverpacks in your USB HDD, then with Sysprep driver scanner you set the (very long) path (key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath) for driver search in the registry
(path limited to 4K-length I believe, this is why the driverpacks has directory as A, B, C... i.e. in very short name.
The standard XP serarch for drivers only in %systemroot%\inf.

DriverPacks here:
http://driverpacks.net/

SysPrep Driver Scanner here:
http://www.vernalex.com/tools/index.shtml

Vista has a lot of drivers packaged as WIM, so no problem to run on different platforms. The only problem is how to boot Vista from USB HDD. Solution is here:
Booting Vista from USB :
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...=20654&st=0

+Quote Post
mr_
post Sep 13 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Germany

For what do I need driver packs?
I think maybe we misunderstood us a bit.

The XP on USB isn't meant to work at best with best drivers on each hardware. Only a limited standard mode (VGA/VESA, slow harddisk, standard mouse/keyboard...) is needed. The rest I can install after the operating system just started. That's why I am askign for generic drivers.

I mean... XP can install on any hardware, new or old when used standard CD installer and clean reinstall. If you need third party drivers you can install them later in standard mode (like update standard VGA to real driver).
- The only issues here so far are SATA drivers (not supported by XP on default), but SATA isn't needed for USB booting anyway. SATA driver can be installed manually later.
- Another issue for the installer is USB, but I think it is only because the drivers are load to late by the standard installer. For booting... I think any XP install will have drivers for all USB controllers? Well, at least after it has been successfully started from standard media. I dunno how well usboot.org works. Does usboot.org configure just for the USB controller one is using or is this generic for all USB controllers?

+Quote Post
ktp
post Sep 13 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

If you want just generic drivers, then you can use usboot.org method where the generic one are used inside VMware. Then you convert this VMware installation to be usboot compatible so it could be booted from USB. Refer to the (short) usboot documentation.

It looks like that your requirement is less than what I have: on each different machines, I have full blown XP with adapted drivers (cpu/chip set/HDD/sound...).
But orignally I use the same generic drivers from VMware with usboot, then later I add DriverPacks (which is optional). I did recommend to add add least mass-storage part of driver packs to handle SATA disks (which is important). Video/sound etc... can be supported in standard mode, but HDD must be recognized.

+Quote Post
mr_
post Sep 13 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Germany

If I understand you right then:
1) install XP on virtual harddisk in VMware
2) install SATA driver pack
3) make it USB boot friendly with usboot
4) copy it finally to USB HDD target drive with usboot

result = USB HDD bootable and usable on almost any hardware? Correct?

QUOTE (ktp @ Sep 13 2008, 04:36 PM) *
I did recommend to add add least mass-storage part of driver packs to handle SATA disks (which is important). Video/sound etc... can be supported in standard mode, but HDD must be recognized.

You mean a fine USB boot friendly USB HDD wouldn't boot from USB if XP doesn't find the correct SATA driver?

+Quote Post
ktp
post Sep 14 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

@mr_

Yes, it would be even better if you integrate with nLite the SP3 (and any other updates if needed) and the mass-storage driverpacks to your XP CD.
You mean a fine USB boot friendly USB HDD wouldn't boot from USB if XP doesn't find the correct SATA driver?

It will boot, but it will not see the target SATA HDD so it would be much useless. It is the same thing as original XP CD install so that at install time XP says
it cannot install since it does not find any hard disk.

+Quote Post
mr_
post Sep 14 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Germany

QUOTE (ktp @ Sep 14 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Yes, it would be even better if you integrate with nLite the SP3 (and any other updates if needed) and the mass-storage driverpacks to your XP CD.

XP setup CD? No not really. I seam not to find the correct words in English. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
XP setup CD is not my concern here. There I prefer for sure also SP3 + all updates + unattended + maybe ngine method integrated but currently I failed to do the ngine method manually. That's another story...

"XP full install" means I want XP on USB HDD. No stripped down version such as BartPE, I mean a full XP normal installation, fully featured. This XP on USB HDD I want to use on different hardware, the XP shall at least start with standard drivers (generic). Later I will install the better driver manually. That's all.

+Quote Post
ktp
post Sep 14 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Refer to my post #2 and #4 : I talked about full and full blown XP, not BartPE/UBCD4win/XPE etc...

My USB HDD can boot real, full blown XP, on different hardwares, with all drivers loaded for each different machine (HDD, sound, video, Wi-Fi, printer...). In fact I even have BestCrypt/TrueCrypt too, the USB HDD is used for me as portable disk (I can work with different machines, or in case my main laptop is stolen or my laptop HDD is broken) and rescue disk (to rescue other persons).

XP knows which drivers are needed to load (using INF files) when running on different hardwares.

The ngine method is quite complicated, I would recommend you usboot.org method, it is much easier, and it works, much better than ngine method thanks to USB driver guard. So its protection is dynamic while the ngine method is static (change in inf file at setup).

+Quote Post
mr_
post Sep 14 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Germany

QUOTE (ktp @ Sep 14 2008, 05:23 PM) *
My USB HDD can boot real, full blown XP, on different hardwares, with all drivers loaded for each different machine (HDD, sound, video, Wi-Fi, printer...). In fact I even have BestCrypt/TrueCrypt too, the USB HDD is used for me as portable disk (I can work with different machines, or in case my main laptop is stolen or my laptop HDD is broken) and rescue disk (to rescue other persons).

TrueCrypt with Full/System Disk Encryption? Because normal file/partition based encryption is no art.

VERY interesting report. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

And for booting USB if not USB boot support in BIOS you use PLoP?

Fake Signature Method sounds also good but so far I haven't found any reports that it's working together with TrueCrypt Full/System Disk Encryption.

QUOTE (ktp @ Sep 14 2008, 05:23 PM) *
The ngine method is quite complicated, I would recommend you usboot.org method, it is much easier, and it works, much better than ngine method thanks to USB driver guard. So its protection is dynamic while the ngine method is static (change in inf file at setup).

Agreed.

+Quote Post
ktp
post Sep 14 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mr_ @ Sep 14 2008, 07:34 PM) *
TrueCrypt with Full/System Disk Encryption? Because normal file/partition based encryption is no art.
VERY interesting report. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Yes, full system disk encryption.
I used grub4dos so all other unprotected entries are available (other partitions/Linux etc...) without requiring password/paraphrase typing, and load Bestcrypt/Truecrypt MBR to boot the encrypted system (this requires password entry).

And for booting USB if not USB boot support in BIOS you use PLoP?
nd any reports that it's working together with TrueCrypt Full/System Disk Encryption.

I tried PLoP, it works partially (works on one machine, but hang on others). The problem is for booting XP/Vista-based OS only, no problem to boot Linux-based OS. PLoP's author has been informed but it is difficult to fix due to reproducibility problem (hardware, software).

Fake Signature Method sounds also good but so far I haven't found any reports that it's working together with TrueCrypt Full/System Disk Encryption.

Refer to this:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5598
Personally I tested OK PLoP loading fake signature method on one machine, but it failed on other.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Windows 2K/XP/2003 and Vista · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:57 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS