Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 16,406

Germany

hello,

I got the following question:
(using WB75beta with VistaPE12beta)

I can choose - for each script - if I want to "run it from ram" or not... ok... I understand the difference....

Now, do I think right? :

The more scripts/programs I will run from ram, the more RAM I do need?

That is to say: Is it possible, in case of putting too many programs to ram, they will not work on an older PC that does not have too much ram, f.e. 256/512 MB ??

Does the PE-System put ALL the ram-based programs to ram at the same time when booting? Or does it only put a program to ram when its launched????

Hope you are understanding my request....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonF
post Sep 14 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 42
Member No.: 2,319

United States

The programs that run from RAM are, in effect, stored on a RAMdisk; they are in RAM at all times, using up sapce in RAM. Yes, it is very easy to run out of room on a 256MB machine, and less easy but very possible to run out of room on a 512 MB machine. That is why I personally prefer a regular RAMdisk so I can swap programs in and out of it as required.

+Quote Post
ausnahmefehler08...
post Sep 15 2008, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 16,406

Germany

QUOTE (JonF @ Sep 14 2008, 01:42 AM) *
The programs that run from RAM are, in effect, stored on a RAMdisk; they are in RAM at all times, using up sapce in RAM. Yes, it is very easy to run out of room on a 256MB machine, and less easy but very possible to run out of room on a 512 MB machine. That is why I personally prefer a regular RAMdisk so I can swap programs in and out of it as required.

Thank you JonF,

still one question: I never worked with a RAMdisk.... how does this work? I know that there are scripts building RAMdisks..... but how can you "SWAP" different programs to it???

+Quote Post
rawral
post Sep 15 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 11
Member No.: 675

QUOTE (ausnahmefehler0815 @ Sep 15 2008, 07:42 AM) *
still one question: I never worked with a RAMdisk.... how does this work? I know that there are scripts building RAMdisks..... but how can you "SWAP" different programs to it???

> background ramdisk(driver) info <

im guessing the ram-disk(driver) used in (VistaPE.x) is ImDisk
if so see below links
Creating a ramdisk from command line
to add an example of RAM-disk based on .iso image file:
CODE
imdisk -a -t vm -f c:\image.iso -m e:

-t vm stands for "type: virtual memory"

This creates a RAM-disk that emulates a CD/DVD-ROM drive and loads the contents of c:\image.iso onto it. The virtual disk is then in memory only, the file c:\image.iso is closed directly after it has been read into memory.

Install and uninstall ImDisk

also lots of links about other :RAMdisk and FILEdisk drivers

+Quote Post
JonF
post Sep 15 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 42
Member No.: 2,319

United States

For programs that don't need registry keys pointing to the install directory, you can copy the program to the RAMdisk, run it, and then delete it. Or for more convenience or more complicated cases you can do it with a batch file. See, for example, http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...mp;showfile=248.

It would be better to have a batch file or loader that allows you to decide whether or not to run from RAMdisk at run time, rather than when you build your CD, but I've been too busy with other things to set that up.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · VistaPE · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th October 2008 - 03:44 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS