gianni_trad
post Aug 26 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 17,665

Italy

Hi at all! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I bought an Adaptec 29320LPE kit and a Seagate Cheetah 15k.5 SCSI ULTRA 320 68Pin Hard-Disk few days ago.

Bios version of Adptec SCSI Card is the last: 4.31.4

Firmware of the Seagate Hard disk is the last: 003

Bios Of my Motherboard Intel 915PBL is the last. (#0040)

I tried to install Windows XP SP2 32Bit into the Seagate Cheetah SCSI Hard disk, but the Windows installing program after copied 100% files to the new hard-disk (text-mode installation), when reboot, after POST of SCSI BIOS, when need to acees to the hard disk, display this message error:

\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf file not present or damaged... (ecc)

but I verified that this file is present on the hard-disk and it's ok!

And the installation program terminate there!

How can i resolve this trouble?

I Can't install Windows XP Operating Sistem into this new Hard-drive!

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 26 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

Is the SCSI card (and drive detected)? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I mean are the XP drivers for it already in your XP CD, did you try using "F6" to add the drivers from a floppy or not?

jaclaz

+Quote Post
gianni_trad
post Aug 26 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Italy

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 26 2008, 12:04 PM) *
Is the SCSI card (and drive detected)? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I mean are the XP drivers for it already in your XP CD, did you try using "F6" to add the drivers from a floppy or not?

jaclaz

Hi Jac (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

yes, at the beginning of the Windows XP (SP2) Installation, I Pressed F6 and then, later, I choose to load Adaptec SCSI Card Driver from the Floppy Drive.

Windows correctly detect SCSI Card Floppy Driver and Adaptec SCSI Card (Hardware, It call "Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI Cards") and correctly load them all.

Windows First-part (TEXT) Installation reach 100% without any problem... then it reboot the machine.

At the reboot, when the "second-part" Windows installation should begin, the error message appear:

\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf not present or damaged.

Now, i'm ansking myself: why It search in \WINDOWS\INF\ instead of C:\WINDOWS\INF\ ?

Running the recovery program mode, at the prompt, i've regulary found: C:\WINDOWS\>

All the files are present, including C:\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf

Where is the problem? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 27 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (gianni_trad @ Aug 26 2008, 03:58 PM) *
yes, at the beginning of the Windows XP (SP2) Installation, I Pressed F6 and then, later, I choose to load Adaptec SCSI Card Driver from the Floppy Drive.

Windows correctly detect SCSI Card Floppy Driver and Adaptec SCSI Card (Hardware, It call "Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI Cards") and correctly load them all.

Good. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At the reboot, when the "second-part" Windows installation should begin, the error message appear:

\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf not present or damaged.

Now, i'm ansking myself: why It search in \WINDOWS\INF\ instead of C:\WINDOWS\INF\ ?

No, that's normal (not the error, the missing C:) in that stage of booting drives should be accessed with their arcpath, that is given as implied before the first back slash, something like this (pseudo-code):
CODE
<bootpartition>\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf

or
CODE
<multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)>\WINDOWS\INF\biosinfo.inf

or whatever.

Now the questions:

What hard disk is connected to the card?
How BIG in size is/are the partitions on it?
What is the SOURCE?
I mean an Original XP SP2 CD, a selfmade XP CD slipstrreamed to SP2, a nlited CD?

I guess you have a floppy, right?

Is the PC a new one or an used one?

Was XP ever run on it (from a non-SCSI hard disk)?

Did you try a memtest+ run?
How many sticks and amount of RAM do you have?

Which manufacturer/model is the Motherboard?

Are the cables new, of good reliable brand, properly seated?

How was the hard disk partitioned?
I mean what program/utility did you use AND filesystems, sizes of partitions, all.

Have you a way (floppy bootdisk, USB stick whatever a way to access the ROOT partition of the drive?

I am interested in the list of files on the ROOT and to the contents of boot.ini.

Have you got another (IDE/SATA, whatever) hard disk on that machine (or that you can temporary attach to it)?

Could you if needed try running DOS on that machine?

Brief summary of ideas/troubleshooting path:
1) biosinfo.inf REALLY corrupted or needing an edit
2) memory bad
3) BIOS conflict between motherboard BIOS and SCSI card BIOS
4) bad cables
5) problems in BOOT.INI with multi/scsi syntax - may be worth a try the signature one
6) missing/bad/corrupted/whatever NTBOOTDD.SYS

Where is the problem? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Tricky questions, I have seen all six listed points happen, I'm sorry to say that it will be a long and hard path to find the answer. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
gianni_trad
post Aug 27 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Italy

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 27 2008, 09:25 AM) *
Now the questions:

What hard disk is connected to the card?

Seagate Cheetah 15k.5 147GB Ultra320 SCSI 68Pin

How BIG in size is/are the partitions on it?

I've already tried one only partition 140.004 MB and two partitions (60.000+80.000) installing in the secondo partition

What is the SOURCE?
I mean an Original XP SP2 CD, a selfmade XP CD slipstrreamed to SP2, a nlited CD?

I've an ORIGINAL Microsoft XP Home SP2 and an ORIGINAL Microsonf XP Professional SP2

I guess you have a floppy, right?

Is the PC a new one or an used one?

Yes, i've a Floppy drive and the PC is quasi-new (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It was new when i bought it 3 years ago.

Was XP ever run on it (from a non-SCSI hard disk)?

Yes, on a 80GB SATA150 Maxtor Hdd.

I Bought a SCSI controller + Hdd to upgrade my PC... to speed-up system operation.

Did you try a memtest+ run?

Yes, the Ram is new... i bought it 2 months ago

How many sticks and amount of RAM do you have?

Two bank 1 GB DDR2 533 Mhz in Dual-Channel (total 2 GB RAM) always right in the other Hard-Disk (SATA150) with XP Home Operating system

Which manufacturer/model is the Motherboard?

Intel: D915PBL

with an Intel Pentium4 3.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache

Are the cables new, of good reliable brand, properly seated?

Yes, the SCSI cable is the new Cable that was included in the Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI Controller kit

How was the hard disk partitioned?
I mean what program/utility did you use AND filesystems, sizes of partitions, all.

I've partitioned it during the Windows XP Installation... i've tried one only partition (140.000MB) and two partitions (60.000+80.000)

Have you a way (floppy bootdisk, USB stick whatever a way to access the ROOT partition of the drive?

Yes, I can do this by the Windows XP CD using the first recovery mode... it goes to the prompt C:\WINDOWS>

I am interested in the list of files on the ROOT and to the contents of boot.ini.

I'll accomplish this this evening when i'll return Home.

If I run XP by the other hard-disk (SATA150) it see the new SCSI controller and Hard-disk and display "new hardware detected" then it ask the drivers... i choose floppy drive and it load the Adaptec driver in the floppy drive... then It's ALL OK!

I can see the new SCSI Hard disk in Windows XP and PERFECTLY WORK with it!

I loaded many files in the new SCSI Hard disk.. and regulary opened them... Heavy Bitmap Image files, Heavy PDF files!

It's all ok using the new SCSI Hard disk as Secondary HDD !

the problem is only Installing XP into it! ..at the second boot, after text-installation!

Have you got another (IDE/SATA, whatever) hard disk on that machine (or that you can temporary attach to it)?

Yes

Could you if needed try running DOS on that machine?

Not actually, but i can find a DOS and I'll can do this.

Brief summary of ideas/troubleshooting path:
1) biosinfo.inf REALLY corrupted or needing an edit
2) memory bad
3) BIOS conflict between motherboard BIOS and SCSI card BIOS
4) bad cables
5) problems in BOOT.INI with multi/scsi syntax - may be worth a try the signature one
6) missing/bad/corrupted/whatever NTBOOTDD.SYS

Tricky questions, I have seen all six listed points happen, I'm sorry to say that it will be a long and hard path to find the answer. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 27 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (gianni_trad @ Aug 27 2008, 03:21 PM) *
I've an ORIGINAL Microsoft XP Home SP2 and an ORIGINAL Microsonf XP Professional SP2

Sure, did not want to imply they were not ORIGINAL (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , I just wanted to know if they came already SLIPSTREAMED to SP2 or not, and if the second was true HOW they were slipstreamed (manually, nlite, autostreamer, HFslip, etc.) - and if they are "Retail" (OK) "Generic OEM" (OK), "good brand OEM" like HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. (sometimes heavily modified - may be unsuitable without editing them)

QUOTE (gianni_trad @ Aug 27 2008, 03:21 PM) *
Yes, on a 80GB SATA150 Maxtor Hdd.

Crazy as it might seem, first thing I would try would be to physically disconnect the SATA disk and try again the setup with ONLY the SCSI disk connected.

About RAM, it is more tricky that you might think, I have seen PC's working perfectly but unable to re-install windows because setup didn't "like" the RAM, but it's much more probable that the problem is the conflict between SATA and SCSI.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
gianni_trad
post Aug 27 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Italy

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 27 2008, 01:58 PM) *
Sure, did not want to imply they were not ORIGINAL (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , I just wanted to know if they came already SLIPSTREAMED to SP2 or not, and if the second was true HOW they were slipstreamed (manually, nlite, autostreamer, HFslip, etc.) - and if they are "Retail" (OK) "Generic OEM" (OK), "good brand OEM" like HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. (sometimes heavily modified - may be unsuitable without editing them)

both (XP Home SP2 and XP Proffessional SP2) are Generic OEM

Crazy as it might seem, first thing I would try would be to physically disconnect the SATA disk and try again the setup with ONLY the SCSI disk connected.

I've ALWAYS done this!

Before I tried to install XP in the SCSI Hard Disck, I fisically disconnected SATA Hdd AND In the Motherboard BIOS I enabled only the PATA device (Plextor DVD)

In the Boot sequence i set

1) Plextor DVD
2) 29320LPE ,Seagate 3146855LW
3) Disabled

In the Disk Drives i can see only

1) 29320LPE ,Seagate 3146855LW

About RAM, it is more tricky that you might think, I have seen PC's working perfectly but unable to re-install windows because setup didn't "like" the RAM, but it's much more probable that the problem is the conflict between SATA and SCSI.

jaclaz

About Ram, i've just re-installed XP on the SATA Hdd withount any problem, and I see the SCSI Hdd

+Quote Post
gianni_trad
post Aug 27 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Italy

In the Intel Motherboard BIOS i've already tried to disable PCI IDE Bus Master... but installing XP the same message appear after re-boot.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 27 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #9

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (gianni_trad @ Aug 27 2008, 04:19 PM) *
In the Intel Motherboard BIOS i've already tried to disable PCI IDE Bus Master... but installing XP the same message appear after re-boot.

Ok, now, again, crazy as it might seem, try again WITH another hard disk attached.

See #3 in garfield report:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5546

And that was/is the reason why I want to see your BOOT.INI file.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
gianni_trad
post Aug 27 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Italy

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 27 2008, 04:11 PM) *
Ok, now, again, crazy as it might seem, try again WITH another hard disk attached.

See #3 in garfield report:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5546

And that was/is the reason why I want to see your BOOT.INI file.

jaclaz

How another Hard disk attached?

I've already done all the possible combinations... windows doesn't complete install ONLY in the SCSI Hard-Disk.

In the other hard-disk (sata) i've already re-installed without trouble/problem!

and the SCSI Hard-disk is correctly viewed!

however,

this is the BOOT.INI of the SCSI Hdd partial installation:

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

that's all. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Boot Methods · Next Newest »

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:52 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS