Guru

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 83
Member No.: 3

Germany

@Olof,

in a different topic there appeared the question

QUOTE (Galapo @ Aug 26 2008, 08:25 AM) *
Yes, but the issue here is that it requires installation. I have tested this for a while, but was unable to produce a consistently error-free non-reboot scripted install of imdisk if not present on host. But if you can produce, I'm more than willing to move to always using imdisk.

Do you see a way that a WinBuilder script does the installation and uninstalls everything after having done it's job?
This should be silently and invisible for the WinBuilder user.

Peter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Aug 29 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Thank(s): 5
Member No.: 6,234

Sweden

QUOTE (psc @ Aug 26 2008, 08:52 AM) *
Do you see a way that a WinBuilder script does the installation and uninstalls everything after having done it's job?
This should be silently and invisible for the WinBuilder user.

.inf files can register and unregister drivers and services without reboot. That is the way it is done in the .inf file in the ImDisk install package.

Otherwise, to register/unregister manually from Command Prompt the sc command could be used.

To register:
CODE
sc create ImDisk type= kernel start= demand error= ignore binPath= system32\drivers\imdisk.sys

And then to unregister (make sure there are no existing ImDisk drives first):
CODE
net stop imdisk
sc delete imdisk

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Olof Lagerkvist For This Useful Post:
Nuno Brito
Galapo
post Aug 31 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 86
Member No.: 11

Australia

I had tried the .inf way a while back: 'rundll32.exe advpack.dll ...'. But the driver did not consistently uninstall properly. Most of the time, but not always, and I couldn't figure out why.

Using sc.exe is preferrable for a script, I think, or possibly drv_ctl.exe: http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/drv_inst/ (but then is drv_inst.exe compatible with 64-bit system?).

Regards,
Galapo.

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Sep 9 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Sweden

QUOTE (Galapo @ Sep 1 2008, 12:14 AM) *
I had tried the .inf way a while back: 'rundll32.exe advpack.dll ...'. But the driver did not consistently uninstall properly. Most of the time, but not always, and I couldn't figure out why.

It depends on whether the driver is loaded or not when it is uninstalled. If it is loaded when deleted it is just marked for deletion and actually deleted at the next time the system boots up. You can solve that by unloading the driver first with "net stop imdisk" or "sc stop imdisk", however this will not work correctly when there are any virtual disks loaded.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 9 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

@Olof

I understand that it might be a nuisance for you to implement it, but I find the approach by Ken Kato in VDK very handy, using what I call "telescopic" commands, see here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=1662&st=59

Any chance to have the same features in IMDISK? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Sep 10 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Sweden

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Sep 9 2008, 02:45 PM) *
@Olof

I understand that it might be a nuisance for you to implement it, but I find the approach by Ken Kato in VDK very handy, using what I call "telescopic" commands, see here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=1662&st=59

Any chance to have the same features in IMDISK? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz

Thanks for the ideas Jaclaz!

In ImDisk the "start" is already built-in... If a new virtual disk is about to be created and the driver is not started it is automatically started by imdisk.exe or the Control Panel applet.

There is however nothing that installs the driver if it is not installed so that could be something. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Galapo
post Sep 10 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 86
Member No.: 11

Australia

QUOTE (Olof Lagerkvist @ Sep 9 2008, 11:01 PM) *
It depends on whether the driver is loaded or not when it is uninstalled. If it is loaded when deleted it is just marked for deletion and actually deleted at the next time the system boots up. You can solve that by unloading the driver first with "net stop imdisk" or "sc stop imdisk", however this will not work correctly when there are any virtual disks loaded.

I think you've put your finger on the problem I was having.

Regards,
Galapo.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · ImDisk · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:51 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS