KageAkuma
post Aug 25 2008, 02:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 17,631

United States

Hey guys,

My work is very interested in coming up with a bootable environment to run from a USB flash drive for virus/spyware removal. I've been doing some research and I felt like LiveXP would be the perfect build for our environment but I'm running into a lot of issues.

My entire company runs off of Windows XP Pro SP2. For right now, all I want is a build that has every single Anti-virus/Anti-spyware removal program known to man available to me to get this project started. I've been using Winbuilder 74 with optional Boot SDI. I've been using the "pre-made" builds available from the Tutorials section, thread "LiveXP with optional Boot SDI!".

I searched the Apps thread and pulled scripts for McAfee Command Line, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Avast, and A2Free. McAfee and Spybot crash instantly upon launch (I did note that Spybot said it needed Winbuilder 75, I tested in Winbuilder 75 Beta 3 with the same results). A2Free launches with errors but appears to scan fine. Ad-aware/Avast are hit and miss depending on my build.

I was hoping to get some advice on the McAfee/Spybot issue. They crash with "Unable to find %programname%.exe in B:\Program Files\". McAfee also fails to update upon build. It launches the updater, but the update runs so slow that it eventually times out and moves on to the next script. (I've modified network settings and done these builds both at home and at work with the same results).

If someone happens to know of a link to a build that has what I'm looking for that would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone who knows this software better than I makes one that would be incredibly awesome. Thanks ahead of time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KageAkuma
post Aug 25 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #2

United States

I figured out that the shortcuts for McAfee and Spybot were pointing to the wrong place. If you go to the correct directory and launch the .exe for Spybot, it is fine. But if you run the scan for McAfee, it comes up with "Missing or invalid ___.dat" files (scan.dat, names.dat, clean.dat), even though they are in the directory it's pointing to. How would I remedy this?

+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Aug 25 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #3

Bug Catcher

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 48
Member No.: 15,072

Turkey

for mcafeee,
download virus def. files and extract them manually.
copy mcafee virus def files+scangui to B:\mcafee (ramdrive)
and start mcafee scangui from there (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

good luck.

+Quote Post
JonF
post Aug 25 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 46
Member No.: 2,319

United States

QUOTE (KageAkuma @ Aug 24 2008, 10:33 PM) *
McAfee also fails to update upon build. It launches the updater, but the update runs so slow that it eventually times out and moves on to the next script. (I've modified network settings and done these builds both at home and at work with the same results).

That's mostly the NAI server being slow. But I rarely get a timeout. It can take up to 15 minutes (and I'm on 20 Mbps fiber, so it ain't me!).

QUOTE (KageAkuma @ Aug 25 2008, 04:07 AM) *
I figured out that the shortcuts for McAfee and Spybot were pointing to the wrong place.

I found some errors -- missing xcopy.exe and some others. Spybot is, I think, fixed; Mcafee needs some more work.

Try the new Spybot script: http://vistape.fleming-group.com/Scripts/A...are/SpybotSD.7z.

+Quote Post
KageAkuma
post Aug 26 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #5

United States

Thank you JonF for the link to a newer Spybot. I'll try it out in my builds and see what I come up with. Does anyone know of some more Anti-virus/anti-spyware scripts that are NativeEx/LiveXP compatible? My work is also considering PicoXP as an option.

Also, is there a way to modify these scripts I'm downloading to fit my needs? Does MakeScript have that option?

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Aug 26 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 127
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Yes, the easiest way is to edit your script inside winbuilder.

Select the script and click on edit (the button next to the script title)

Inside the source code you can read how the script is written and even add your commands.

You don't need to know all available commands from memory, click on the magic wand button and browse all the available commands.

Once you select a command it will write itself on the code and present an example of the correct syntax to use it.

------------------------

Script documentation is available here:
http://winbuilder.net/help/

And app scripts:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4415

Good luck!

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KageAkuma
post Aug 26 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #7

United States

Oh wow, thanks for the informative post Nuno. Maybe I'm making this harder on myself than I needed to. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I'll play around and let you guys know what I come up with.

Do you know if there are any previously done builds that are similar to what I'm looking for? Seems like a very common application for Winbuilder.

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Aug 26 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 127
Member No.: 1

Portugal

You can always look on the LiveXP server: http://livexp.boot-land.net/LiveXP/Apps/Se...ware%20removal/

Or the full archive: http://livexp.boot-land.net/LiveXP/Apps/

All these scripts are available for download from the download center and were tested under LiveXP

---

There is also a new requests section where you can post a request for the programs you would to see available. Maybe a developer gets interested on what you need: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=74

Also, creating your own script is a way to ensure you get things working exactly as you want, this scripting language is written in plain english with commands that are very intuitive to understand, read the code on other app scripts to see how they were made.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dramastic
post Sep 4 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,917

United States

I second the need for a (bootable) 'super anti-malware CD/DVD'

Dramastic

+Quote Post
JonF
post Sep 5 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thank(s): 46
Member No.: 2,319

United States

I've updated the Mcafee script. Most of the problems appear to have stemmed from an engine update from July that wasn't included in my script.

The new engine uses more %TEMP% space than the old, but also runs from CD just as fast as from RAM. So I recommend updating at build time, building often, and running from CD.

One of these days I'll set up a front-end that allows making those sort of decisions at run time.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · nativeEx & LiveXP · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:51 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS