bootable cd /ntfs
TL0000
post Aug 24 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 17,604

United States

creating a bootable cd for flashing ntfs.using bootdisk.com bootfiles ntfsboot.iso ntfswcdd.iso can make cd bootable but seem cannot read awdflash and xxxx.bin. Have sata drives and ide writers any idea bios is set up correctly
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 24 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 120
Member No.: 2

Italy

You can re-use my first answer to this other thread:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5513

What are you actually trying to do? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Flashing a BIOS has NOTHING to do with NTFS, nor with IDE or SATA drives and relatives drivers. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
TL0000
post Aug 24 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #3

United States

Want to create a bootable cd to flash bios. Partition is ntfs on hard drive so dos does not read ntfs. can create bootable cd but get error when trying to flash. if write dir awdflash get error unable to creae or read. So it seams to me is not reading awdflash and xxxx.bin even though it shows it write dir.
2 dir awdflash and xxxx.bin
Using bootdisk.com bootable ntfs files but still same problem. Boots and that is as far as goes??? Sata and ide just put that in there to cover bases.

+Quote Post
sanbarrow
post Aug 24 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Thank(s): 11
Member No.: 755

To flash a bios you should not load any additional drivers - why don't you put the bios on to the CD as well ?

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 24 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Finder

Italy

Maybe I'm starting to understand the problem. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The Awdflash has this syntax:
AWDFLASH [(write)[path] [biosfilename][/Py.,Pn]
[(save)[path][savefilename][/Sy,Sn]
[(clear CMOS)[/CC]]
[(clear PnP)[/CP]]
[(clear DMI)[/CD]]
[(help)[/?]]

Where the write command is the one that writes the (new) [biosfilename] to BIOS
And the save command saves existing BIOS to a new [savefilename]

Using the save command NEEDS some place where to write, while using just the write one does not need write access.

Rather obviously saving the old BIOS only makes sense if that exact version of BIOS is NOT available on the motherboard's site or elsewhere.

Ideally one should use a R/W media, like a floppy or USB stick to be able to save the old BIOS before flashing the new one, in order to be able to flash it back if anything goes wrong, but as often happens there is a CATCH 22 here, if the flashing goes bad, the ONLY device usable by the BIOS Recovery Boot Block is usually a "normal" floppy, which, if you had, would have solved the original problem.

It is possible to use a DOS floppy image mounted through grub4dos to workaround the problem, this image can reside on NTFS allright.

Which OS are you running now?

jaclaz

+Quote Post
TL0000
post Aug 24 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #6

United States

Ok can make a bootable cd ok. Made with bootfiles from bootdisk.com that are supposed to boot to a ntfs partition so can flash bios. So I have the iso from bootdisk.co and added awdflash and xxxx.bin and burned cd. What happens is boot to dos and that is as far as wiil go. can not flash as when write awdflash enter get bad command or file name. r:\ is where files are so go r:\ dir and get awdflash and xxxx.bin as two dir but says o byte free???
If go edit swdflash says cannot read or create file??? So looks like unable to read so unable to flash bios

So what iI presume is dos is not reading awdflash or xxx.bin even though made cd with ntfs boot files that are supposed to work and be able to flash bios It works just like if where to make bootable cd with non ntfs boot files.

I realize I can get around this with a small partition of fat+ + but would like to make this work without extra partition. I realize dos cannot read ntfs that is why used special boot files from bootdisk.com to burn bootable cd.
On files from bootdisk they supply you with 4 cd drivers and none work???

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 25 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Finder

Italy

TL0000
please re-read, this time attentively, the "common sense advice" within Rules:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules
expecially points f.

FORGET bootdisk.com, their bootdisks, NTFS, IDE, SATA, everything.

Now, reply to my question:
Which OS are you running now?

Post a link to the particular version of AWDFLSH you are using, or better even, to the manufacturer site where you downloaded the BIOS or the entire floppy image.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
TL0000
post Aug 25 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #8

United States

Thanks for help
running xp basically what bootdisk.com files(bootable iso) are ntfs4dos and he just added some files so could work in ntfs partition. So he says ????
I have tried about every precompiled iso for booting to ntfs but can boot to dos and go no further. When it say error bad command or file name forgot exact wording believe that is saying cannot read file. If write edit awdflash says cannot create or read file so looks like not reading files.

Basically using awdflash from asus web site and xxx.bin bios from same Just need to figure out how to make it read/write dos in ntfs. Bootdisk.com iso was supposed to do that. I have run accross on web where other people say bootdisk.com files do not work.
So basically need to figure out how to read and write files in ntfs.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 25 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #9

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (TL0000 @ Aug 25 2008, 04:22 PM) *
So basically need to figure out how to read and write files in ntfs.

Really it is difficult to try and help you.
What was the difficult part in this? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
FORGET bootdisk.com, their bootdisks, NTFS, IDE, SATA, everything.

Can you PLEASE FORGET about reading and writing files in NTFS?

That is NOT your current problem, your current problem is to flash the BIOS of your PC, I will take care of HOW this is done. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I need a LINK to the particular version of AWDFLSH you are using or to the original manufacturer bootdisk (NOT the bootdisk.com ones), I need to CHECK what options are used, if there is a configuration file, an autoexec, etc..
A link is somethng you can click on and that takes to a definite page, how do you think I can get it from the Asus site WITHOUT knowing which model is your motherboard/what BIOS revision you wnat to flash? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I need to know whether you NEED to save the current BIOS or you can download it from the manufacturer site.

Without the above two things I cannot help you. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
TL0000
post Aug 25 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #10

United States

thanks
I do not need to know how to flash bios have done many times. I want to be able to flash bios from a bootable cd. My computer has one ntfs partition on it and that is the problem. I am going to use awdflash version 118-120 makes no difference and going to use 1101.bin for bios . The motherboard using is P5n-e sli and is 775 socket.
Will supply a link to downloads but cannot supply direct link you will need to fill in three things / motherboard / 775 / and p5n-e sli /click search and a bios heading and bios utilities will come up.

This will be a asus web site were info comes from (Let me explain) If was going to use a usb drive would format usb drive to fat and then would be able to flash from usb drive.
If was going to use a floppy it would be formatted to fat and bios flashing would be no problem. I can even write a autoexec.bat file so flashing would be automatic.
The problem comes when using cd and having a ntfs partition. Dos does not read ntfs and that is where to problem is.

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

I do not know where you are going with this so will wait and see.
If under your post if not following correct rules bring to my attention. Have read all rules but if not following rules bring to my attention.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Boot Methods · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2008 - 08:50 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS