post Jul 30 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #11

Frequent Member

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 22
Member No.: 9,517

Netherlands

@Lancelot
I think it is better to try the procedure first as it is meant and described in my first post:

QUOTE (wimb @ Jul 29 2008, 02:22 PM) *
  • USB_XP_SETUP.cmd makes XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on C-partition of HDD Install-Drive
  • Use first BOOT_IMG.cmd to make LiveXP or BartPE Boot Image on XP C-HDD and to make entry in boot.ini Menu.
  • Connect USB-drive having XP Source in partition 1 and Reboot from C-HDD into PE Environment
  • Then for Fresh Install, Quick Format your C Install-Drive using Drive Explorer
  • Then Run Program USB_XP_SETUP.cmd to make BootFolder on Target Install-Drive
  • Install of XP on Target Drive can be Selected when Rebooting Computer from C-Target Drive

Your "different" approach is the source of your problems (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wimb
post Aug 1 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #12

Frequent Member

Thank(s): 22
Member No.: 9,517

Netherlands

Booting with LiveXP from Vista Harddisk requires to make an Entry in the BCD Store
used for Vista's Boot Menu.

For VISTA it is handy to use EasyBCD and to Install NeoGrub from Add / Remove Entries Menu
NeoGrub corresponds to GRUB4DOS and works with menu.lst in Root dir

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

We need to add two extra XP files NTDETECT.COM and BOOTFONT.BIN to the Vista's Root Directory.
The BOOT_IMG.cmd program was changed slightly to support also booting with LiveXP from Vista Harddisk.

The Attachment in post #1 was Updated accordingly.

+Quote Post
magic12kenneth
post Aug 7 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #13

Group: Members
Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 17,181

United States

wimb,

First of all, thanks for creating this aswsome new procedure to install Windows XP from USB after booting from hard drive.

I have a quick question. I'm trying to help someone install Windows XP from a laptop without floppy drive, cd/dvd drive or usb boot. I swap the hard drive from his laptop over to my laptop that have a bootable USB or cd/dvd drive. I want to off my laptop using LiveXP from USB and then create a bootable LiveXP on his hard drive using the Boot_IMG.cmd.

However, when I try to create a bootable LiveXP on my USB flash drive using the Boot_IMG.cmd, I notice the boot.ini keep pointing to C: hard drive. Is the current version able to create a LiveXP usb bootable? I assume it can because the title said "Install XP from USB after booting with PE from HDD or USB".

If it can, how do I make a bootable LiveXP USB then?

I have a few feature requests:

Feature 1: If you do plan to add the LiveXP Bootable USB feature to the Boot_IMG.cmd, you can change the UI flow with the following screen title:

Screen 1: Welcome Screen

This is first screen you see with introduction and tips.

Screen 2: Create Bootable Drive

1. Create a bootable LiveXP Hard Drive
2. Create a bootable LiveXP USB Drive
3. Exit

Screen 3: Create a LiveXP bootable Hard Drive

Screen 3: Create a LiveXP bootable USB drive

Feature 2. I notice if your drive doesn't have enough space to copy the LiveXP.iso to the USB, it should display a warning message to let the user know.

Feature 3: If the LiveXP.iso already exist, have another option "Keep the current LiveXP.iso" to save the time without have to replace it again if it is same. Specially on a slow usb drive, it takes some time.

Thanks again.

Kenneth

+Quote Post
magic12kenneth
post Aug 8 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #14

United States

Hi,

I'm getting this error message during the screen when trying to boot LiveXP.iso:

"txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing"

Anyone know why I'm getting this?

I'm using the ISO\LiveXP.iso that I created with BootSDI option.

Kenneth

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 8 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #15

Finder

Thank(s): 161
Member No.: 2

Italy

I am not sure I have understood fully your question, but I think that you should know that in "BOOT.INI" language a line like:
CODE
C:\bootsect.bs="A bootsector"

Translate in plain English to:
Add a choice in BOOT.INI displaying text "A bootsector";
When selected, chainload the file "bootsect.bs" from ROOT of the SAME volume where BOOT.INI resides, WHATEVER it might be.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 8 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #16

Finder

Italy

QUOTE (magic12kenneth @ Aug 8 2008, 09:33 AM) *
Hi,

I'm getting this error message during the screen when trying to boot LiveXP.iso:

"txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing"

Anyone know why I'm getting this?

I'm using the ISO\LiveXP.iso that I created with BootSDI option.

Kenneth

I guess you have got something wrong. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The "output" of a "BootSDI" project should not be .iso, but rather a RAW disk image, BootSDI.img.

Re-check thoroghfully the Amalux Tutorial:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4111

check also this seemingly unrelated thread, I presume you are trying to do the same kind of "Matryoshka" booting yurry attempted (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) :
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4952

jaclaz

+Quote Post
magic12kenneth
post Aug 8 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #17

United States

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 8 2008, 01:43 AM) *
I guess you have got something wrong. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The "output" of a "BootSDI" project should not be .iso, but rather a RAW disk image, BootSDI.img.

Re-check thoroghfully the Amalux Tutorial:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4111

check also this seemingly unrelated thread, I presume you are trying to do the same kind of "Matryoshka" booting yurry attempted (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) :
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4952

jaclaz

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try it again using the BootSDI.img from my D:\LiveXP\ISO\Ram\I386 folder. I'll let you know what happen.

Can you verify if I the steps I use the Boot_Img.cmd to create a LiveXP bootable hard drive is correct?

1. Run BOOT_IMG.cmd

2. Press 1 to select the location to PE image to D:\LiveXP\ISO\Ram\I386\BootSDI.img folder

3. Press 2 to select the boot-drive traget as C: hard drive.

4. Press 3 to copy the PE image to the boot drive and make it bootable.

I left all other options as default.

Do I use the same steps as above to create a bootable LiveXP from USB Flash Drive? But only change the boot-drive traget as G: usb flash drive. I ask because that's what I did but I can't get it to work.

I tried do it by selecting the usb drive letter instead of my C: hard drive for "2. Give Boot-Drive Target" setting in the Boot_IMG.cmd screen. It copies the BootSDI.img and creates the bootable filesto the USB flash drive.

But when I boot from USB flash drive, it tries to look for the BootSDI.img from C: hard drive instead of the USB flash drive in boot.ini.

Then I decided to change the "C:\BootSDI.img" to "U:\BootSDI.img" since the migrated drive letter is set to U:. But still couldn't boot and can't find the U:\BootSDI.img.

Is this the proper steps to create a bootable LiveXP USB as describe above?

Basically I wanted to create a bootable LiveXP from hard drive and also from USB flash drive.

Because I'm trying to help my friend reinstall Windows XP for his laptop without a floppy drive, cd/dvd drive or usb device. I'm thinking transfer his hard drive over to my laptop and then boot off from LiveXP usb drive and then create a bootable LiveXP on his hard drive. Then transfer it back to laptop and boot off LiveXP and run Windows XP setup.

Any hints is greatly appreciate.

I will read those links you provided. Thanks.

Kenneth

+Quote Post
magic12kenneth
post Aug 11 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #18

United States

Instead of using the LiveXP.iso, I use the bootSDI.img and it works fine when starting from c: hard drive. Thanks for the tip jaclaz.

I still couldn't get it to boot LiveXP off my usb drive using the Boot_IMG.cmd. Does Boot_IMG.cmd only works for booting from hard drive?

Kenneth

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 11 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #19

Finder

Italy

Most probably you introduced some changes or took a "wrong" choice in the procedure.

What you should do is (for the moment (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) FORGET about BOOTIMG.CMD.

You should have on your stick:
NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
grldr <- from grub4dos
SETUPLDR.BIN <- unmodified from Server 2003 SP1 or R2 NOT SP2
BootSDI.img

BOOT.INI with this content:
CODE
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\grldr
[operating systems]
C:\grldr="grub4dos"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows="Windows XP on HD" /fastdetect

menu.lst with this content:
CODE
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 30
default 0

title SETUPLDR.BIN
find --set-root /BootSDI.img
chainloader /setupldr.bin

title Back to NTLDR
find --set-root /BootSDI.img
chainloader /ntldr

WINNT.SIF with this content:
CODE
[SetupData]
BootDevice="ramdisk(0)"
BootPath="\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportashd /rdpath=BootSDIimg"

Get grub4dos 14-05-2008 here:
http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome
http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome/grub4dos-...-2008-05-14.zip?

What happens?

jaclaz

+Quote Post
amalux
post Aug 12 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #20

bug-catcher

Group: Tutorial Writer
Thank(s): 91
Member No.: 2,966

United States

Hi wimb,

Just tried this and it works flawlessly (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , wonderful tutorial, easy setup and your command scripts are brilliant (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smart.gif) LiveXP booted to full desktop in under 30 seconds from the boot menu and everything worked as expected. I can't wait to try your other tutorials and programs, thank you for this great service and keep up the good work (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to amalux For This Useful Post:
wimb

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2008 - 04:02 PM
<% BOOTLAND_FOOTER %>