Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topic
 Multiboot CD-ROM via Grub4DOS
post Jun 21 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #49
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 562

Italy

Still OT:

QUOTE (SamK @ Jun 21 2008, 01:54 PM) *
It uses the following:
  1. Formatting utility with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
  2. Unzip the image file with 7zip
  3. Syslinux v3.62

Damn mad.gif I thought it was an alternative to the HP utility, not a wrapper around it. rolleyes.gif

I hope the good Linux guys understand that they are distributing a file that (surprise - surprise wink.gif) embed also DOS 7.x system files.....whistling.gif
(try using 7-zip on HPUSBFW.EXE - open inside) wink.gif

But, dubbio.gif, on the other hand how can they fit around two Mb (or even the 436 Kbytes of HPUSBFW.EXE) in 204 Kb? w00t.gif

I had a look at the .exe and it seems like it downloads on-the-fly the HP utility from:
http://h50178.www5.hp.com/local_drivers/17550/SP27608.exe

Which is even worse, it means that the tool is useless if you are offline AND that as soon as HP will change, as it often does the file location, it will become TOTALLY useless.

I expected something more from those guys..... rolleyes.gif

IMHO a very, very sneaky way to save time instead writing an actual Open Source program with no strings attached. sad.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post Jun 22 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #50
SamK
Member   **
Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

@jaclaz/ilko

I have been corresponding with Patrick Verner, developer of Parted Magic. Patrick wants to produce an ISO version of his mini-distro that is directly bootable by Grub4DOS, as shown by the following extracts from my thread on his forum.
QUOTE (Patrick Verner)
I'm interested in making Parted Magic boot in any truly useful manner...
Can you give me a quick run down on how to set-up grub4dos?...
I can make a "pmagic-grub4dos.iso" for 3.0 until the grub4dos project gets things rolling...
...This will give exposure to grub4dos and Parted Magic, so it's worth the trouble.

Your greater experience/knowledge of Grub4DOS will be greatly appreciated. Should you wish to provide any ideas to Patrick on this matter please add your advice to my existing thread at the Parted Magic forum.
See here http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...9d57e94fa6#p663
+Quote Post
post Jun 22 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #51
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Italy

@SamK
Patrick Verner in his last post "on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:41 pm" seems like having hit the nail right on the head. smile.gif

I just posted a "hallo, peeps" there.

I'll watch the developing of the thread however, and if needed I will post there any suggestion I can come up with.

cheers.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #52
SamK
Member   **

Firstly, many thanks to everyone that contributed to making it possible to boot Parted Magic directly from ISO. This feature will be included in the forthcoming release, v 3. The increased awareness this will bring to both Grub4DOS and Parted Magic can only be beneficial to both projects.

Secondly, on to the next tool to add; Clonezilla.

Extracting the ISO to the root of iso_root and loading the kernel via Grub4DOS results in Clonezilla starting as expected. It looks to load Clonezilla.iso/live/filesystem.squashfs. Extracting the ISO to any other directory than iso_root leads to the bootup failing (working assumption - it can no longer find filesystem.squashfs). Booting the ISO/img directly both fail, presumably because they are also unable to find this file.

Other than requesting the developer of Clonezilla to implement a similar solution to that adopted by Parted Magic are there any other potential solutions worth exploring?
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #53
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Italy

QUOTE (SamK @ Jun 25 2008, 10:47 AM) *
Firstly, many thanks to everyone that contributed to making it possible to boot Parted Magic directly from ISO. This feature will be included in the forthcoming release, v 3. The increased awareness this will bring to both Grub4DOS and Parted Magic can only be beneficial to both projects.

I guess that most of the merit goes to you. smile.gif
The only thing we did was "convincing" you that it was not grub4dos "fault", and that the Linux side needed some changes. wink.gif

However, it would be nice if you could (possibly) start a new thread, describing in detail how to setup grub4dos to boot the Parted Magic "new version" .iso, which files are needed, where did yuo put them, the menu.lst you use and so on.

I.e. something that a new member that is looking for such a solution may use as a tutorial guide.

QUOTE (SamK @ Jun 25 2008, 10:47 AM) *
Secondly, on to the next tool to add; Clonezilla.

Extracting the ISO to the root of iso_root and loading the kernel via Grub4DOS results in Clonezilla starting as expected. It looks to load Clonezilla.iso/live/filesystem.squashfs. Extracting the ISO to any other directory than iso_root leads to the bootup failing (working assumption - it can no longer find filesystem.squashfs). Booting the ISO/img directly both fail, presumably because they are also unable to find this file.

Other than requesting the developer of Clonezilla to implement a similar solution to that adopted by Parted Magic are there any other potential solutions worth exploring?

The "right" thing to do in this case would be to study a bit the release, and understand where these settings are hardcoded.

Again, to help others help you it is advisable if you post some details on how it is now working, like a DIR list of the files and structure, the menu.lst entry that you are using and so on.

But still, if the Clonezilla developer is as "reactive" as Patrick proved to be, contacting the Author would be better, as the recent Parted Magic experience proved, it is perfectly possible to build these mini-distro's in such a way that they boot and work:
1) with the .iso burned directly to CD
2) with the .iso burned in a folder of the CD and with kernel and initrd extracted
3) with the .iso burned in a folder of the CD directly mapped and chainloaded as (hd32) with grub4dos

As you pointed out, doing the above can be beneficial to both the Linux distro and to grub4dos, and makes life really easier to "multibooters".
cheers.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #54
SamK
Member   **

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Jun 25 2008, 11:08 AM) *
However, it would be nice if you could (possibly) start a new thread, describing in detail how to setup grub4dos to boot the Parted Magic "new version" .iso, which files are needed, where did yuo put them, the menu.lst you use and so on.

I.e. something that a new member that is looking for such a solution may use as a tutorial guide.

I will be happy to document the way I have this working. Perhaps it might be advisable to wait until version 3 of Parted Magic is generally available (it is currently a development/testing release and wrinkles are still being 'ironed-out').

I am unable to support/guide others in a similar manner to you, and therefore do not envisage this being a 'full-blown' tutorial which I maintain and change over time. I do, however, see the value in enabling others to benefit from the knowledge gained. Where would you prefer the new thread to be opened?
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #55
tinybit
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Developer

Thank(s): 68

China

@SamK

Congratulations!

This is a relay race. Grub4DOS handed out the first bar, then Linux stick to the second. Both are indispensable. In this way, there could be a smooth transition from the "real mode" to "protected mode". And we can say that this is almost the only way, and almost all the other methods will not work.

Yes, we made it. This success belongs to each of us. Open a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Cheers!

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #56
was_jaclaz
Finder   ******

Italy

QUOTE (SamK @ Jun 25 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Where would you prefer the new thread to be opened?

I opened it and stickied it.
Just post here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5041

QUOTE (tinybit @ Jun 25 2008, 03:41 PM) *
@SamK
Yes, we made it. This success belongs to each of us. Open a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Cheers!

cheers.gif

jaclaz

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #57
ilko
Frequent Member   ***

Thank(s): 19

Bulgaria

It really deserves champaign, a big step forward, thanks to everyone smile.gif

I have made a similar request for UBCD, which is way easier to be made grub4dos aware:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1399

as a follow up of this topic:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=38234

As well as additional request to Patrick:
http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...p;start=30#p695

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #58
SamK
Member   **

@ilko

QUOTE (ilko @ Jun 25 2008, 06:33 PM) *
As well as additional request to Patrick:
http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...p;start=30#p695

The developers of the mini-distros often brand them with a splash/menu screen. Certainly Patrick has a Parted Magic logo that appears on both the menu and loading screens. These look as though they may have been professionally designed.

The standard Grub4DOS menu is best described as functional, but is unlikely to be seen as visually pleasing. It may be that some developers are reluctant to such a menu - even though it is only a cosmetic issue. I have seen a splashscreen referred to in the Grub4DOS help command. Are you familiar with its use? Might it be worth explaining this facility to Patrick and any other developer that is requested to make their mini-distro Grub4DOS aware?

On a side issue, I don't suppose you have also approached Clonezilla with this request? I expect the answer is no but I am ready to be very pleasantly surprised.

A separate point, I have always been inclined towards the use of sub-directories rather than using the root directory for storage. I am in favour of simplicity and a universal approach, and was wondering if this might also include the use of sub-directories to hold the ISOs?.

Last point, if your idea to use a simple menu suitable for novices is adopted, how will the user add kernel parameters as they can currently with an isolinux based menu? For example Parted Magic uses a kernel parameter 'keymap=' to set the keyboard layout.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Grub4dos and g-part
11 sander55 413 25th July 2010 - 12:40 PM
Last post by: sander55
No new Topic has attachmentsGrub4dos with PAE support
map --mem above 4GB address
132 karyonix 12,109 23rd July 2010 - 04:50 PM
Last post by: Lama
No new Topic has attachmentsgrub4dos, .iso images mapping issue
Interesting "Non-Working" report
16 psc 584 22nd July 2010 - 03:51 PM
Last post by: Wonko the Sane
No new Grub4dos with Win7RescuePE & Kaspersky & Bitdefender rescue cd(working on 5 more...)
Making DVD with Win7RescuePE and 7 antivirus progs
18 Leka 4,117 19th July 2010 - 11:17 PM
Last post by: ignant
No New Posts grub4dos and ext2/ext3 symbolic links
0 ktp 120 19th July 2010 - 09:09 AM
Last post by: ktp

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum