Post #31

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

@raijinsetsu
@maxlaw

Don't want to seem rude (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , but you have BOTH:
1) the appropriate hardware (I mean more RAM that XP can access)
2) the need/want to test this feature

Why don't you simply try it? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Theoretically it will work as well with the RAM between 2.99 or 3.4 and 4 Gb.

About SWAP, there are two different "schools of thought":
1) a SWAP file is needed
2) a SWAP file is only needed when it is needed (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
(I personally belong to the second one)

XP has been "historically" targeted to 512 Mb of RAM, with which, by using the 1.5x "magic" factor that followers of the first theory usually adopted, would have made for a 768Mb SWAP file on disk.
In extreme cases I have seen setups where the "magic factor" was up to 3.0 (which was the "previous" magic number, when most PC had 128 or 256 Mb).
I have rarely seen the SWAP being actually used intensively on a 512 Mb machine, thus with 3 or 3.4 Gb I guess it will never be used, so running without a SWAP file or making it on a RAMDISK (placed in an area of RAM that would otherwise remain unused) does make sense.

About hybernation, I seem to remember to have seen reports about it not working on Ramdisk drives, but most probably further experiments has to take place. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

jaclaz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 16 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #32

Guru

Group: .script developer
Thank(s): 87
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 16 2008, 12:24 PM) *
1) a SWAP file is needed
2) a SWAP file is only needed when it is needed (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Let me add school #3:

If there is more swap than needed, the OS uses it, even this is not necessary.
This decreases performance.

Peter

+Quote Post
maxlaw
post Oct 16 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #33

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 19,402

Hong Kong

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 16 2008, 07:24 PM) *
@raijinsetsu
@maxlaw

Don't want to seem rude (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , but you have BOTH:
1) the appropriate hardware (I mean more RAM that XP can access)
2) the need/want to test this feature

Why don't you simply try it? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Theoretically it will work as well with the RAM between 2.99 or 3.4 and 4 Gb.

1) a SWAP file is needed

XP has been "historically" targeted to 512 Mb of RAM, with which, by using the 1.5x "magic" factor that followers of the first theory usually adopted, would have made for a 768Mb SWAP file on disk.
In extreme cases I have seen setups where the "magic factor" was up to 3.0 (which was the "previous" magic number, when most PC had 128 or 256 Mb).
I have rarely seen the SWAP being actually used intensively on a 512 Mb machine, thus with 3 or 3.4 Gb I guess it will never be used, so running without a SWAP file or making it on a RAMDISK (placed in an area of RAM that would otherwise remain unused) does make sense.

About hybernation, I seem to remember to have seen reports about it not working on Ramdisk drives, but most probably further experiments has to take place. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

jaclaz

jaclaz, thanks for your comments.
I've tried it in my machine which has 2.99GB RAM in XP. My idea is setting a 2.8GB Ramdrive to leave XP around 100MB RAM (if RRamdrive can't reach the abandoned section) or 1.1GB Ram (if RRamdrive can dig that section). Since XP under 100MB Ram and 1.1GB Ram have a large performance difference, I can thus see if RRamdrive works on those shadowed memory.

However, all the versions fail when I setup a ramdrive > 2GB. It simply gives me a blue screen once I apply the setting. I will keep checking the document in order to make it works. Or, is there any other way to check which memory location that RRamdrive works for?

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 16 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #34

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Thank(s): 124
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (maxlaw @ Oct 16 2008, 05:38 PM) *
However, and all the versions fail when I setup a ramdrive > 2GB. It simply gives me a blue screen. I will keep checking the document in order to make it works. Or, is there any other way to check which memory location that RRamdrive works for?

Did you try just with the GUI or through the Registry entries?

I guess that combining the info here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/f...nd-2003-server/
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/f...-2003-server/2/

with the "base" Registry file posted here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=4064&st=25

You should have all the available info to get started.

Since you have enough RAM, I would use a VM to make the preliminary tests, Qemu, though a bit slowish when compared to Virtualbox, would be my first attempt, Virtualbox second.

I would stay clear of VirtualPC.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
maxlaw
post Yesterday, 03:21 AM
Post #35

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 19,402

Hong Kong

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 17 2008, 12:03 AM) *
Did you try just with the GUI or through the Registry entries?

I guess that combining the info here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/f...nd-2003-server/
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/f...-2003-server/2/

with the "base" Registry file posted here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=4064&st=25

You should have all the available info to get started.

Since you have enough RAM, I would use a VM to make the preliminary tests, Qemu, though a bit slowish when compared to Virtualbox, would be my first attempt, Virtualbox second.

I would stay clear of VirtualPC.

jaclaz

Finally my test is finished on a clean installation of XP SP2 (then updated to SP3), and usePAE. I can setup a over 3GB RAM Drive. There is no performance drop when I have a 2.8GB RAM Drive. It shows that RRAMDrive is actually accessing the upper 1GB memory block when creating a drive > 2GB, so that the Windows have sufficient memory to operate. Also, I can create at most a 3.6G RAM Drive (more the RAM Drive will disappear after apply/reboot, I guest the RRAMDrive driver is failed to load), it also proves RRAMDrive is capable of accessing the memory beyond the 3.x GB addressable space of XP.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2008 - 12:20 AM

W3C XHTML • © 2008 Boot Land • All rights reserved • W3C CSS