Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Devio... little Help?
Garrett Serack
post Dec 11 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,954

United States

I played around last night with the DevIO stuff... I kept getting bluescreens.

I tried a few different variations:

CODE
REM Create an Image
MkSparse myImage.img 4096M
ImDisk -a -f myImage.img -m Z:
format z: /q /fs:ntfs
ImDisk -d -m Z:

After that I used devio to host it:
CODE
REM go-go-gadget devio!
devio.exe 8192 myImage.img

And on my vpc (tried this locally too!)
CODE
REM mount across the wire
ImDisk -a -t proxy -o ip -f 192.168.0.189:8192 -m x:

REM ImDisk claims to mount it ok
REM 4 or 5 seconds later ... BLUESCREEN!

Any ideas? ...

I also tried specifying the size on the DevIO line
CODE
REM go-go-gadget devio!
devio.exe 8192 myImage.img 4096M

to no avail.

...ooh, and one last thing... is there source for the win32 version somewhere?

Anyone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Dec 11 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6,234

Sweden

QUOTE (Garrett Serack @ Dec 11 2007, 07:34 PM) *
I played around last night with the DevIO stuff... I kept getting bluescreens.

This seem to be a serious problem, there should be absolutely no bluescreens whatever you do with ImDisk. The problem is that I can't reproduce this. Can you try on a freshly installed virtual machine (with no other additional software installed, such as no anti-virus software etc). If it works then, can you try to install the other software you have installed one at a time and test ImDisk proxy mounting between each installation? It would be of many users interest to find out what is going wrong and why in this case as this might turn up on other users computers too.
QUOTE (Garrett Serack @ Dec 11 2007, 07:34 PM) *
...ooh, and one last thing... is there source for the win32 version somewhere?

Yes, it is basically the same source code except that you use Makefile.win32 when you build it. (I saw now that this file was missing in the source archive and probably have been missing for a while but I have corrected that now so if you download it again you should get it.)

CODE
nmake /f Makefile.win32

This does not require any DDK/WDK environment, just the build command prompt on any recent Visual C++ installation, for example the free Visual C++ 2005 Express.

+Quote Post
Garrett Serack
post Dec 11 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,954

United States

QUOTE (Olof Lagerkvist @ Dec 11 2007, 11:45 AM) *
This seem to be a serious problem, there should be absolutely no bluescreens whatever you do with ImDisk. The problem is that I can't reproduce this. Can you try on a freshly installed virtual machine (with no other additional software installed, such as no anti-virus software etc). If it works then, can you try to install the other software you have installed one at a time and test ImDisk proxy mounting between each installation? It would be of many users interest to find out what is going wrong and why in this case as this might turn up on other users computers too.

Hmm. It *is* a Fresh Windows Vista VPC... and it happens on my host as well. I'll see if I can come up with a specific test case for you.

QUOTE (Olof Lagerkvist @ Dec 11 2007, 11:45 AM) *
Yes, it is basically the same source code except that you use Makefile.win32 when you build it. (I saw now that this file was missing in the source archive and probably have been missing for a while but I have corrected that now so if you download it again you should get it.)

CODE
nmake /f Makefile.win32

This does not require any DDK/WDK environment, just the build command prompt on any recent Visual C++ installation, for example the free Visual C++ 2005 Express.

Ah. I see. That helps.

Garrett

+Quote Post
Olof Lagerkvist
post Dec 11 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6,234

Sweden

QUOTE (Garrett Serack @ Dec 11 2007, 08:56 PM) *
Hmm. It *is* a Fresh Windows Vista VPC... and it happens on my host as well. I'll see if I can come up with a specific test case for you.

Okay, it should be said that ImDisk is not fully tested on Vista, although the quick tests I have done have always shown that it works but you may have hit some compatibility issue here. I will try to investigate this further, but at the moment I have no good enough test environment for Vista but I should be able to solve that in the near future...

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · ImDisk · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Members Who Viewed Topic Today ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th February 2008 - 05:23 PM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it