Rating 5 V
> VistaPE and boot from USB

e2p2
post Jul 26 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,698

United States

I was trying to avoid having to mount a disk image with IMDISK. I use the x64 version of Vista and although there is a version of IMDISK made for x64 the latest updates to vista block any attempt to install an unsigned driver. There was a program that I have used before called BFI (Build Floppy Image). This utility allows the building of a Fat12 bootable floppy disk image. It can build the image file, inject the bootsector, and inject directories and files. If I could find a similar utility that would work with FAT16 images that would be great. I just have not been able to find it yet.
Go to the top of the page

jaclaz
post Jul 26 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #42

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

The point is that you need to mount the image anyway, in order to format it, otherwise you can use Winimage (remember that it is shareware) to copy to the image the files.
Does VDK or filedisk give the same problems as IMDISK?

jaclaz

semiono
post Nov 3 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #43

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,143

Russia

Please, anybody what is possible to start from rw file system? I have the interes for boot-land projects with them hard rebuilding windows mostly when vLite, but i do not wish boot somes img file from hdd or booting from CD/DVD.
I need to install Vista PE directly. ???

Arvy
post Nov 4 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #44

Frequent Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 12,578

Canada

VistaPE's current v12rc1 seems to have some very peculiar quirks when I try to use it on my USB flash drive. Most critically, I lose my cordless keyboard and mouse completely. And that happens regardless of whether or not I include any of the RC1 driver script options.

For details, please see http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6164 from which this has been "cross-posted" at ctmag's request.

EDIT: To avoid any misunderstanding, I should mention that I do have other WinXP-based PEs running perfectly in a multiboot set-up on the same USB drive. Perhaps I should also note that VistaPE's "Copy to USB" script does not do everything that is necessary for such multiboot set-ups. On a USB drive, it's necessary to manually rename the "i386" folder to "minint" and to edit the menu.lst file accordingly. In doing so, one must also keep in mind GRUB's case sensitivity. And don't forget to include a zero-byte "vistape.cd" file in the drive root.

JonF
post Nov 5 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #45

Silver Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 2,319

United States

QUOTE (Arvy @ Nov 4 2008, 03:18 PM) *
To avoid any misunderstanding, I should mention that I do have other WinXP-based PEs running perfectly in a multiboot set-up on the same USB drive. Perhaps I should also note that VistaPE's "Copy to USB" script does not do everything that is necessary for such multiboot set-ups. On a USB drive, it's necessary to manually rename the "i386" folder to "minint" and to edit the menu.lst file accordingly. In doing so, one must also keep in mind GRUB's case sensitivity. And don't forget to include a zero-byte "vistape.cd" file in the drive root.

I am very interested in how you set that up ...

Arvy
post Nov 5 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #46

Frequent Member

Canada

Well, basically, it's just a matter of installing grub4dos onto your USB flash drive. VistaPE includes a script that will do that much for you, or you can also do that initial step manually if you prefer. I won't include detailed instructions for that part because they've already been repeated many times here and elsewhere. Here's one tutorial.

Once grub4dos has been installed into a drive's MBR, you can tell it's boot loader (grldr) to boot almost anything just by editing the menu.lst file that it uses. Recent grub4dos versions will even boot self-contained *.iso files directly. For example, I use it to include a boot option for the AcronisMedia.iso file that is created for my TrueImage and Disk Director rescue applications.

Previous versions of VistaPE used to include a script in the "Other OS" group that would let you add WinXP-based PEs (e.g., BartPE-Core) into its final multiboot build, but that capability is currently missing from VistaPE v12rc1. In any case, it was never completely satisfactory in handling USB flash drive set-ups. So the do-it-yourself approach is probably just as easy anyhow.

1) Having installed grub4dos on your USB flash drive, copy the complete set of folders and files for the OS/PE that you want to add onto that drive. For WinXP PE, that's the "ntldr", "peldr", "winpe.sif" and "ntdetect.com" files plus the complete contents of the "i386" and "programs" folders.

2) Rename the "i386" folder to "minint".

3) Edit the grub4dos menu.lst file to add the appropriate entry or entries. For WinXP PE, that would be as follows:

title WinXP PE on Drive
chainloader /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN

title WinXP PE in RAM
chainloader /minint/S_SETUPLDR.BIN

That's it. But remember that grub4dos is case sensitive. So be careful about those chainloader entries.

__
EDIT: I suppose I should also include the entry for booting AcronisMedia.iso just in case somebody else wants to add that option. Assuming that the ISO file is located in the root of the drive, the menu.lst entry is as follows:

title Acronis Rescue Media
find --set-root /AcronisMedia.iso
map /AcronisMedia.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

jaclaz
post Nov 5 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #47

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (Arvy @ Nov 5 2008, 06:14 AM) *
I won't include detailed instructions for that part because they've already been repeated many times here and elsewhere. Here's one tutorial.

Just for the record, currently most complete and up-to-date instructions/help are right here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=66
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5187
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/Grub4dos.htm

jaclaz

Arvy
post Nov 5 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #48

Frequent Member

Canada

Thanks. That last one from diddy is very complete and well organized. And I especially like its dedication. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Well done.

There is 5 page(s) Go to first page Previous Page Page : 3 Page : 4 5

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

>

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Posts Topic has attachments VistaPE 12 and Virtual PC Additions, Works 100% (minus sound)
15 madhopsman 427 Today, 08:27 AM
Last post by: TheHive
No New Posts Topic has attachments VistaPE - WIMCaptureImage ErrorCode 2
Finalizando VistaPE (MapNetwork Drive.exe)
0 Paulo Figueiredo 18 Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Last post by: Paulo Figueiredo
No New Posts Topic has attachments BootSDI to HDD a Success!!!
Booting SDI.img to HDD
8 Ariom 118 Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts Booting LiveXP_RAM.iso with Grub4dos.
5 mancer 155 Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Last post by: wimb
No new Posts Topic has attachments BootSDI, zCopy and ImageCreator utility
552 Oleg_II 48,142 Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Last post by: nikzzzz

menu_build_menu( "topicreferrals", new Array( img_item + " vistape mussing keyboard   4 clicks", img_item + " vistape bootable usb   2 clicks", img_item + " usb bootable format winxp pe   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape.ima   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb folder   2 clicks", img_item + " usb boot vistape error bcd   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb iso boot   2 clicks", img_item + " winxp pe   2 clicks", img_item + " ape usb mouse keyboard   2 clicks", img_item + " install vistape   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape .ima and .img   1 clicks", img_item + " fat32 bootsect   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 16gb usb /boot/bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " boot usb vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot ima from main screen   1 clicks", img_item + " usb vistape boot bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vstaldr   1 clicks", img_item + " vista usb boot/bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape fix vista boot loader   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape format fat32   1 clicks", img_item + " grub vstaldr   1 clicks", img_item + " bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " bootmgr usb boot   1 clicks", img_item + " asus m2a boot pendrive   1 clicks", img_item + " imdisk reload image   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...sk+reload+image   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot usb   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 boot from usb bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape error bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " usb boot vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " boot bcd error on booti...usb flash drive   1 clicks", img_item + " activate partition vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " usb flash bootmgr grub4... boot bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape + ntldr is missing   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb detection   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape flash usb   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot .ima   1 clicks" ) );

RSS "Boot-Land.net", "WinBuilder" Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st January 2009 - 08:34 PM