IPB

There is 5 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 Page : 2 3 Page : 4 Page : 5 Next page 

Rating 5 V
> VistaPE and boot from USB

NightMan
post Jan 21 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #21

Frequent Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 575

Russia

vistape.ima

sorry, but why you don't boot VistaPE directly from USB?

ps not forgot enable boot.wim...
Go to the top of the page

hectorma
post Jan 22 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,389

Spain

QUOTE (NightMan @ Jan 21 2008, 03:19 PM) *
sorry, but why you don't boot VistaPE directly from USB?

ps not forgot enable boot.wim...

The problem is that usb stick is 4 GB and Bios detect it como floppy disk. If the partition of usb is >2GB in fat32 it not run and is necesary ntfs system. In ntfs not run Linux for multiboot. I need have partitons in the pendrive. If not it not run.

Sorry for my english.

NightMan
post Feb 6 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #23

Frequent Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 575

Russia

QUOTE (hectorma @ Jan 22 2008, 09:01 PM) *
The problem is that usb stick is 4 GB and Bios detect it como floppy disk. If the partition of usb is >2GB in fat32 it not run and is necesary ntfs system. In ntfs not run Linux for multiboot. I need have partitons in the pendrive. If not it not run.

Sorry for my english.

1. FAT32 work with disks >2Gb (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
2. linux can read and write to NTFS, use TRUE linux distribution (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

hectorma
post Feb 6 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #24

Spain

QUOTE (NightMan @ Feb 6 2008, 01:10 PM) *
1. FAT32 work with disks >2Gb (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
2. linux can read and write to NTFS, use TRUE linux distribution (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yes, fat32 work with disk >2GB but BIOS detect fat32 como floppy disk and vistape return error.

Arvy
post Feb 6 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #25

Frequent Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 12,578

Canada

A BIOS that changes its drive handling behaviour based on logical formatting is a new one on me, but some (not all) recent BIOSes do allow changing the settings for handling USB flash drives over/under a certain size. What make/model is your system motherboard? If you are using a recent ASUS mobo (AMI BIOS), I may be able to help from my own experience. Otherwise, the mobo manufacturer's web site is probably your best bet for detailed info.

hectorma
post Feb 15 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #26

Spain

QUOTE (Arvy @ Feb 6 2008, 07:31 PM) *
A BIOS that changes its drive handling behaviour based on logical formatting is a new one on me, but some (not all) recent BIOSes do allow changing the settings for handling USB flash drives over/under a certain size. What make/model is your system motherboard? If you are using a recent ASUS mobo (AMI BIOS), I may be able to help from my own experience. Otherwise, the mobo manufacturer's web site is probably your best bet for detailed info.

Is asus m2a-vm. Award bios, it not detect hdd in fat32 usb, it detect it removable storage.

jaclaz
post Feb 15 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #27

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

hectorma,
"removable storage" does NOT mean in itself that the thingie is detected as "superfloppy" and not as Hard Disk.

Most (if not all) USB sticks are by default detected as "Removable" REGARDLESS whether they are fdisked/formatted as HD or as Superfloppy.

This said, the only "limit" of a multipartitioned USB stick seen as "Removable" by 2K/XP/2003/Vista is that ONLY first (Active) partition can be mounted.

This can be avoided (at least in 2K/XP/2003) by using a Filter Driver.

Linux has NO such problems, and will see (and mount) ALL partitions.

NOTHING prevents you from having a stick with two partitions, first one with VistaPE and second one formatted as you like it, with Linux, once booted Vista will only see it's own partition, Linux will see BOTH.

However I am not so sure I understiid what you have been truing to do, SO, maybe let's start from the beginning.

WHERE did you get this procedure ?:
QUOTE (hectorma)
Notes:
1) The vistape.cd file in the root of the USB key is important so that VistaPE loader/wpeinit.exe can detect the
system drive (containing \Programs directory).
2) The vistape.ima file must be contiguous in order to be mapped by grub4dos. You can use the 'contig' utility from sysinternals.com.
to verify/defragment the file. An easier way is to format the USB key and copy this file (all files in root) first, and no deleting files from the key
to avoid fragmentation.
3) To build the vistape.ima:
o use fsz (dsfo/dsfi package) or mksparse (on NTFS) to create a vistape.ima file with size about 300 MB.
o Mount it as floppy, drive letter A: with ImDisk.
o Format a: with FAT file system
o Copy bootmgr and the 2 directories \boot, \sources (from your VistaPE) to A:\
o Unmount a: (ImDisk)
o Use WinImage to set boot sector of vistape.ima (boot sector properties) to Vista Bootmgr.
o Copy vistape.ima to U:\ (root of your USB key).
o Verify that U:\vistape.ima is contigous by using the command: contig -a -v u:\vistape.ima.
4) One could try to include \programs inside vistape.ima (creating bigger floppy image), but it does not seem to work
(wpeinit did not find programs) and also it is less convenient, since by putting \programs in the USB key (writable) rather than
inside the (read-only) vistape.ima, modifications to \programs are much easier.

Was the USB stick PREVIOUSLY formatted as having a MBR?

HOW?

Wouldn't it be better if you start from scratch, along the lines of points #f. here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Just post a description of the hardware involved and of what you would like to achieve, and see what the other members may suggest you.

jaclaz

hectorma
post Feb 15 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #28

Spain

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Feb 15 2008, 12:43 PM) *
hectorma,
"removable storage" does NOT mean in itself that the thingie is detected as "superfloppy" and not as Hard Disk.

Most (if not all) USB sticks are by default detected as "Removable" REGARDLESS whether they are fdisked/formatted as HD or as Superfloppy.

This said, the only "limit" of a multipartitioned USB stick seen as "Removable" by 2K/XP/2003/Vista is that ONLY first (Active) partition can be mounted.

This can be avoided (at least in 2K/XP/2003) by using a Filter Driver.

Linux has NO such problems, and will see (and mount) ALL partitions.

NOTHING prevents you from having a stick with two partitions, first one with VistaPE and second one formatted as you like it, with Linux, once booted Vista will only see it's own partition, Linux will see BOTH.

However I am not so sure I understiid what you have been truing to do, SO, maybe let's start from the beginning.

WHERE did you get this procedure ?:

Was the USB stick PREVIOUSLY formatted as having a MBR?

HOW?

Wouldn't it be better if you start from scratch, along the lines of points #f. here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

Just post a description of the hardware involved and of what you would like to achieve, and see what the other members may suggest you.

jaclaz

ok, my final solution is boot qhit msdos and run grub.exe. The problem is that my hdd usb is mp3 reproductor of 40 GB and is necesary fat32 for it run. Vistape crash in fat32 detected como removable devide. In ntfs it is detected como hard disk. Final solution, charge grub since dos and charge usb drivers since it for detected it.

Arvy
post Feb 15 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #29

Frequent Member

Group: Developer
Member No.: 12,578

Canada

QUOTE (hectorma @ Feb 15 2008, 09:03 AM) *
ok, my final solution is boot qhit msdos and run grub.exe. The problem is that my hdd usb is mp3 reproductor of 40 GB and is necesary fat32 for it run. Vistape crash in fat32 detected como removable devide. In ntfs it is detected como hard disk. Final solution, charge grub since dos and charge usb drivers since it for detected it.

I suppose it is best to begin with a frank admission that I'm still not completly certain that I understand your problem. Having said that, it seems to involve a certain amount of confusion on at least two points.

Firstly, as jaclaz has explained, the detection of a USB device as 'removable storage' is normal and expected regardless of its formatting. That does not necessarily mean that it is being detected as a (super)floppy disc by the BIOS. Nor does it mean that it is being handled as a (super)floppy disc by the operating system. It means only that it is recognized as a removable device. As such, Windows, for example, won't enable write caching for that drive.

Secondly, I think there may also be some confusion about FAT32 limitations for (a) partition size and (b) file size. At least in theory, FAT32 can handle partition sizes as large as 2 TERAbytes. It involves a lot of wasted space, but it can be done if one has the required disc management tools. The maximum FAT32 file size, on the other hand, is 4 GIGAbytes. Perhaps the reason for some of the confusion is because the FAT32 file size limit happens to be the same as the FAT16 partition size limit.

Not sure if any of that really helps you much, but it may at least help a little to avoid misunderstandings in further discussion.

hectorma
post Feb 15 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #30

Spain

QUOTE (Arvy @ Feb 15 2008, 05:29 PM) *
I suppose it is best to begin with a frank admission that I'm still not completly certain that I understand your problem. Having said that, it seems to involve a certain amount of confusion on at least two points.

Firstly, as jaclaz has explained, the detection of a USB device as 'removable storage' is normal and expected regardless of its formatting. That does not necessarily mean that it is being detected as a (super)floppy disc by the BIOS. Nor does it mean that it is being handled as a (super)floppy disc by the operating system. It means only that it is recognized as a removable device. As such, Windows, for example, won't enable write caching for that drive.

Secondly, I think there may also be some confusion about FAT32 limitations for (a) partition size and ((IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) file size. At least in theory, FAT32 can handle partition sizes as large as 2 TERAbytes. It involves a lot of wasted space, but it can be done if one has the required disc management tools. The maximum FAT32 file size, on the other hand, is 4 GIGAbytes. Perhaps the reason for some of the confusion is because the FAT32 file size limit happens to be the same as the FAT16 partition size limit.

Not sure if any of that really helps you much, but it may at least help a little to avoid misunderstandings in further discussion.

ok, then why Vistape not run when it is loaded from hdd usb fat32? The error is black screen and grey a it said boot/BCD error

There is 5 page(s) Previous Page Page : 1 Page : 2 3 Page : 4 Page : 5 Next page

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

>

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Posts Topic has attachments VistaPE 12 and Virtual PC Additions, Works 100% (minus sound)
15 madhopsman 427 Today, 08:27 AM
Last post by: TheHive
No New Posts Topic has attachments VistaPE - WIMCaptureImage ErrorCode 2
Finalizando VistaPE (MapNetwork Drive.exe)
0 Paulo Figueiredo 18 Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Last post by: Paulo Figueiredo
No New Posts Topic has attachments BootSDI to HDD a Success!!!
Booting SDI.img to HDD
8 Ariom 118 Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Last post by: jaclaz
No New Posts Booting LiveXP_RAM.iso with Grub4dos.
5 mancer 155 Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Last post by: wimb
No new Posts Topic has attachments BootSDI, zCopy and ImageCreator utility
552 Oleg_II 48,142 Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Last post by: nikzzzz

menu_build_menu( "topicreferrals", new Array( img_item + " vistape mussing keyboard   4 clicks", img_item + " vistape bootable usb   2 clicks", img_item + " usb bootable format winxp pe   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape.ima   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb folder   2 clicks", img_item + " usb boot vistape error bcd   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb iso boot   2 clicks", img_item + " winxp pe   2 clicks", img_item + " ape usb mouse keyboard   2 clicks", img_item + " install vistape   2 clicks", img_item + " vistape bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape .ima and .img   1 clicks", img_item + " fat32 bootsect   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 16gb usb /boot/bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " boot usb vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot ima from main screen   1 clicks", img_item + " usb vistape boot bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vstaldr   1 clicks", img_item + " vista usb boot/bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape fix vista boot loader   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape format fat32   1 clicks", img_item + " grub vstaldr   1 clicks", img_item + " bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " bootmgr usb boot   1 clicks", img_item + " asus m2a boot pendrive   1 clicks", img_item + " imdisk reload image   1 clicks", img_item + " http://search.msn.com/res...sk+reload+image   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot usb   1 clicks", img_item + " windows 7 boot from usb bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape error bcd   1 clicks", img_item + " usb boot vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " boot bcd error on booti...usb flash drive   1 clicks", img_item + " activate partition vistape   1 clicks", img_item + " usb flash bootmgr grub4... boot bcd error   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape + ntldr is missing   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape usb detection   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape flash usb   1 clicks", img_item + " vistape boot .ima   1 clicks" ) );

RSS "Boot-Land.net", "WinBuilder" Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st January 2009 - 08:34 PM