> Release candidate of plop with USB support
ktp
post Oct 8 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,365

Inacceptable! Grrr...

As I said in previous post, I played around for few minutes with PLoP under QEMU.
It does not offer on the fly function to boot from USB/CD/floppy (as Smart bootmanager allows for CD/floppy).
It requires installation (on hard disk). So being a little impatient and having no news from jaclaz since yesterday for a small HDD image
to play with grub4dos, I decided to install on my real HDD. Then...

The installation goes ok. After reboot it takes control and presents a menu. You press 'u' to boot from USB, 'f' to boot from floppy etc...
I pressed 'u', it presents a new screen but no USB drives seen (I did plug my USB key), and a error message error loading driver somhow.
OK, refer to Alexei's post earlier where USB on laptop could have problems.

Now it has an uninstall function, OK I executed it. It uninstall OK (it says so, successful).
I reboot and... direct boot to PXE !
By experience I know this mean HDD boot failure so next boot on my BIOS is boot from network (PXE).
Hmm... I plug my precious rescue/tools multi-boot USB key and run Partition Magic 8.05. As expected, my hard disk is unallocated
(MBR destroyed somehow). OK, I reboot with option UBCD4Win and get to the desktop where I run Total Commander then HDHacker.
I can see that the HDD MBR is all reset to 0, with only AA55 signature. This is not what I called a successful uninstall by PLoP
(it should restore the MBR exactly in the state before the install, with at least additional checkings like HDD geometry/model to be sure
to restore the MBR to the right HDD where it was backuped)!. (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif)

OK as I have a backup MBR of my HDD, I put it back with HDHacker and reboot (without my USB key plugged). And of course
I got my usual XP desktop and all the data! A real relief (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

For me it is unacceptable to call it PLop Bootmanager v5.0rc1.
It must be labeled something as v0.01alpha1 !
Of course in the initial screen it said:
"Use this bootmanager at your own risk. Its (sic) possible to loose your data!"
OK, but this was not an user error, it is the uninstall function that really did not work!

Morale: you play with fire, you know what to be careful about.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 8 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

That's mainly why it is very convenient to have backups of at least MBR and Partition Tables and of each partition bootsector.

Should anyone have not used this precaution, and should disaster had happened, Testdisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
is capable to re-create/recover Partition Tables. (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Please find attached a .xls file with the settings you required.

You'll have to experiment with the different geometries untl you find one that Qemu will boot.

(IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

jaclaz
Attached File(s)
Attached File  smallimgs.zip ( 3.97K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
ktp
post Oct 8 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

@jaclaz
The 2M and 16MB HDD do not boot under QEMU.
I will try other sizes. But the most important is how can I boot it under grub4dos?
Do you have a sample menu.lst please ?

+Quote Post
ktp
post Oct 8 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

After browsing another topic in grub4dos, I guess the menu.lst entry would looks like this:

CODE
title boot HDD image
map --mem (hd0,0)/small_hdd.ima (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 8 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #15

Guru

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 8 2007, 01:08 PM) *
That's mainly why it is very convenient to have backups of at least MBR and Partition Tables and of each partition bootsector.

@Jaclaz
I'm a developer, able to step through x86 Intel's and BG's machine code, but unfortunatelly I never did something with saving my MBR or partition tables (my degree of knowledge: I heard about them and have an idea what they are!)
If I did (fortunatelly rather seldom) something wrong, I recovered from a 'complete' backup.

Can you give a tutorial with some links of suggested programs to save (and restore!) such voodoo similar elements?

Peter

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 8 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #16

Finder

Italy

@ktp
I have not a definite answer, a good entry is something like the one you posted, but not exactly that one (that one roots to hd0,0 and then chainloads first sector of it, i.e. the bootsector, by-passing the MBR)
I'll see if I can find one and post it.

@psc
Partition tables are a part of the MBR, more exactly 4 entries, each 16 bytes, at offset 446 of first sector of each Hard Disk.
The MBR is the entire first sector of each Hard Disk, so if you backup it you include the Partition Tables.

Since you definitely know your way with .cmd files (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , if you check these two:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/MakeBScmd-...EASE-t2362.html
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/MBRBatch-0...LPHA-t3191.html
both have, as "side effect" or feature, the ability to make a backup of HD sectors, respectively for bootsectors and MBR.

To "extract" and adapt the code to your needs should be trivial.

Both make use of dsfo/dsfi, part of the DSFOK toolkit.

Reduced to the minimum terms:
dsfo \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEn 0 512 Diskn.MBR

will produce a backup file of the MBR of Hard Disk n (first disk is 0, second is 1, etc.)
and
dsfo \\.\x: 0 512 Drivex.bs

will produce a backup file of the bootsector of Drive (partition) x (drive/partition letters as you see them under 2K/XP)
for FAT16 and FAT32 formatted drives/partitions.
For NTFS partitions you need to do:
dsfo \\.\x: 0 8192 Drivex.bs

To make a "real" backup of the MBR, however, I suggest to change the length for MBR to include all first 63 hidden sectors (MBR+62):
dsfo \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEn 0 32256 Diskn.MBR

If you have volumes (partitions) without a letter assigned, you can use the vlm utility, also part of the pakage, to find their ID.

There are of course a number of other utilities, some of them with GUI to do the same.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
phox
post Oct 8 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 134

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 8 2007, 02:49 PM) *
@Jaclaz
I'm a developer, able to step through x86 Intel's and BG's machine code, but unfortunatelly I never did something with saving my MBR or partition tables (my degree of knowledge: I heard about them and have an idea what they are!)
If I did (fortunatelly rather seldom) something wrong, I recovered from a 'complete' backup.

Can you give a tutorial with some links of suggested programs to save (and restore!) such voodoo similar elements?

Peter

This is simplest way to manipulate MBR: Attached File  MBRWiz.zip ( 66.93K ) Number of downloads: 8

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 8 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #18

Finder

Italy

@ktp

Try this:
CODE
title boot HDD image
map --mem (hd0,0)/small_hdd.ima (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1
rootnoverify (hd0)

jaclaz

+Quote Post
ktp
post Oct 8 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

@jaclaz

In fact the four HDD models in the speadsheet work with QEMU. I first tested them with QEMU manager (GUI)
but failed (no message, no VM started). But when I try with QEMU command line, it works. So the disk image is then used
using the menu.lst given above and it works too, on both QEMU and on real machine.

The test on real machine (laptop): USB key boots with grub4dos, invoking the small HDD image, PLoP is invoked,
I press 'u' to boot USB but then PLoP failed loading OHCD drivers, no devices found. It then tried to load UHCI drivers
but then hang.

Anyhow for me it is interesting to know that I can boot HDD image with grub4dos. This would be useful in several circumstances
(no real situation found yet).

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Oct 9 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #20

Finder

Italy

But when I try with QEMU command line, it works.

Good! (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Can you post the command line you used to start them in Qemu?

Did ALL images boot?

Using grub4dos installed in the MBR of "main" virtual disk, right?

Also, and for the record, a HD image mapped to memory won't actually boot a NT based system, only DOS/W9x/Me/Linux ones.

jaclaz

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Members Who Viewed Topic Today ()

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th October 2007 - 07:40 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it