Reply to this topicStart new topic
> change active windows dir??
kali
post Oct 4 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,037

United States

I got liveXP working just fine. Burned the ISO to a CD.

Boots great from the cd (although it doesnt find my network card - but it is an older machine). However a problem I am having is I am trying to use/run some software that needs to modify / patch some of the windows files. The problem is the software doesnt let me choose the location of the windows directory to patch. I think it is just going off of what the active windows directory is - which is the ramdrive?? (x:\ on my machine) that liveXP sets up. So it tries to patch the windows folder on the x:\ drive which ofc doesnt work.

Is there any way to somehow switch the active windows directory so that I can run my program? Or maybe there is another solution I am not mentioning. My alternative solution is to reinstall XP which basically would be a massive pain in the ass because of how many folders / directories / data that I would have to do a witch hunt for.

This is for one of my own personal machines. So I do not have a nice external usb hdd to image my drive to and then just reinstall windows and not worry about it. So patching >>> than reinstalling everything. Oh and windows is totally screwed on my machine - it does not even boot - thus why I was hoping to beable to do this through liveXP.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psc
post Oct 7 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Guru

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE(kali @ Oct 4 2007, 12:44 PM) *
I got liveXP working just fine. Burned the ISO to a CD.

Boots great from the cd (although it doesnt find my network card - but it is an older machine). However a problem I am having is I am trying to use/run some software that needs to modify / patch some of the windows files. The problem is the software doesnt let me choose the location of the windows directory to patch. I think it is just going off of what the active windows directory is - which is the ramdrive?? (x:\ on my machine) that liveXP sets up. So it tries to patch the windows folder on the x:\ drive which ofc doesnt work.

Is there any way to somehow switch the active windows directory so that I can run my program? Or maybe there is another solution I am not mentioning. My alternative solution is to reinstall XP which basically would be a massive pain in the ass because of how many folders / directories / data that I would have to do a witch hunt for.

This is for one of my own personal machines. So I do not have a nice external usb hdd to image my drive to and then just reinstall windows and not worry about it. So patching >>> than reinstalling everything. Oh and windows is totally screwed on my machine - it does not even boot - thus why I was hoping to beable to do this through liveXP.

Welcome to the forum, Kali!

You should try BootSDI.Script. This lets you boot from RAM and makes therefore your Windows directory writable.

BootSDI.Script can be found in the nativeEx_barebone project.

To get your network card running in the PE you can try the myNIC program.
It generates a script which installs your local network driver to the PE.

Good luck!

Peter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · nativeEx & LiveXP · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Windows NT Service Pack integration (slipstreaming) toolkit
tested with: Workstation, Server, Terminal Server CDs
4 bearwindows 581 Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Last post by: bearwindows
No New Posts change boot picture
6 xplod 885 15th September 2007 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: xplod
No new Topic has attachmentsChange Keyboard Layout
25 codera 2,552 10th September 2007 - 07:38 PM
Last post by: online
No new Topic has attachmentsWindows (Msi) Installer 4.0.6000.16386
InstallShield (R) 11 & InstallShield (R) Setup Engine 6
26 Max_Real Qnx 2,157 10th September 2007 - 01:53 PM
Last post by: Max_Real Qnx
No New Posts Windows OPK
Why do I wind up doing this?
2 DaemonForce 395 5th September 2007 - 09:59 AM
Last post by: DaemonForce

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2007 - 03:49 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it