> Automatic Dependency Detection/Addition, Automatically detect and include required dll's
rt10k
post Sep 27 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,782

United States

The Problem

Step 1: Write your app script
Step 2: Build your PE environment (wait several minutes)
Step 3: Wait for qEmu to load up the PE environment (wait several more minutes)
Step 4: Open up that app you just added; Be told "dsound.dll" is missing
Step 5: Add Require_File,"dsound.dll" to your script

Now, repeat that whole process 1 time for every single possibly missing dependency.

A Solution

WinBuilder could detect the dependencies of an app you'd like to add.

If dependencies are not already on the build:
We know the app isn't going to run, so tell the scriptor about it and/or Automatically Require_File,"x.dll" it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digg this topic Add to my del.icio.us 2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Nuno Brito
post Sep 27 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 1

Portugal

Here's how I usually track missing dependencies:

- build a minimal XP PE environment (no addons)
- try adding all dll's mentioned as missing (with require_file)
- if after adding all missing dll's still doesn't work - use dependency walker to see which files are called when running the exe.

- Also worth mentioning that some programs require installed DLL/OCX's
- If none of the above are enough I try tracking the changes made on a local windows host
- Some apps require write permissions from the media where they run

---------

It's not easy to automate this task since there is so much involved - but inside app scripts API it is already possible to indicate the needed libraries, here's an example: http://livexp.boot-land.net/LiveXP/Apps/Games/Hearts.script

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Sep 27 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,192

QUOTE(rt10k @ Sep 27 2007, 05:05 PM) *
A Solution

WinBuilder could detect the dependencies of an app you'd like to add.

rt10k, you're starting to annoy me!
You come in here, fresh from the 'street', and make a lot of waves. Which is actually something i like, but you produce just waves of hot air.

You have problem X.
And yout proclaimed SOLUTION is, somebody else should do something about it! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif)

My, are we stupid, why has nobody of us come up with that idea? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Get a grip, man!

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
rt10k
post Sep 27 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #4

United States

Nuno

Ah, you mean you send over the dependencies via whatever network file transfer method until the app runs, adding another Require_File for each missing file message? Should've been obvious. (IMG:http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/40.gif)

MedEvil

If this project were open-source: I would be in it, figuring out what needs to be done and getting it done in a heartbeat.
Because its not: Offering my "Suggestions and Requests" seems like the only option that makes sense when it comes to fundamental, resource-intensive elements like the PE build process and the other topics I've mentioned.

I'll tell you things you don't want to hear about your baby, but I'm here because I want help make it a better baby.
And for the free beer (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Sep 27 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rt10k @ Sep 27 2007, 08:06 PM) *
MedEvil

If this project were open-source: I would be in it, figuring out what needs to be done and getting it done in a heartbeat.
Because its not: Offering my "Suggestions and Requests" seems like the only option that makes sense when it comes to fundamental, resource-intensive elements like the PE build process and the other topics I've mentioned.

I'll tell you things you don't want to hear about your baby, but I'm here because I want help make it a better baby.
And for the free beer (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Great! You can start right away. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
A bunch of people here have already written standalone programs, which can more or less automate the script building process, but non is so 'fullfeatured' to be able to do what you want.
So this is your chance! Write a program that can build perfect scripts from any app and we even give you a special title, before you reach your 1000th post. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 27 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Portugal

QUOTE(MedEvil @ Sep 27 2007, 06:59 PM) *
Write a program that can build perfect scripts from any app and we even give you a special title, before you reach your 1000th post. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Let the games begin.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 27 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

@Medevil
Take it easy, man, remember Rule #12! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(Medevil)
You come in here, fresh from the 'street', and make a lot of waves. Which is actually something i like, but you produce just waves of hot air.

...which in these cold and rainy days, at least here in Italy, wouldn't be that bad. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

QUOTE(rt10k)

(bolding is mine)

@rt10k
Very promising, but as I see it, a bit assumptive. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

What you suggested could well be a "general utility", not really related to Winbuilder, usable as well by BartPE plug-ins developers, or by the various "DIY tweakers", so the License Status of Winbuilder does not seem in itself to be preventing you from writing such an app.

Maybe if BOTH could make a little step back, re-reading Rule #12 and complying to it, the climate (here on the board) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) would be cooler.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 27 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Portugal

H7se's tool already "spies" a program install and tries to retrieve all important informations.

There are also the target designer tools found on XP embedded.

I think that what we need is system more close to a "real" XP/Vista that is not restricted by read-only memory or so many missing dependencies - once this was done it would be much easier to simply install the programs inside the running OS. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But each program is a detective work which can either take you only 5 minutes or waste a full day without good results.

Maybe one day this becomes possible.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Sep 27 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thanks for the warning, jaclaz.
Just a bit premature, nothing has happend here that calls for your attention.

+Quote Post
rt10k
post Sep 29 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #10

United States

Attached to this post is a little app I just wrote, which can:
* Check the dependencies on a single exe/dll
* Check all the dependencies of all the exe's within a dir (and optionally: its subdirs as well)
* Output those dependencies to a textbox and a file

It will detect the dependencies which are mentioned in the import table of PE EXEs and DLLs, but stuff like ocx dependencies won't be found.

How, exactly, to implement it into WinBuilder is something I'm still thinking about.

What sounds like the best idea so far:
* Maintain a list of dependencies, which accounts for all dependencies required within a project
* When adding a new script: Make sure the dependencies for the script's file are there. If they're not: Handle it

But, how to handle it? This functionality sounds like it should be part of WinBuilder.exe, itself, rather than being integrated into a hideous hack of a WinBuilder script.

--

Another project I'm thinking of putting together: Something which will make file transfer between the host system and the virtualized system dead simple. My idea: client and server on the host and virtual systems, automatically connecting, then making file transfer as simple as dragging and dropping.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  GetImports.zip ( 57.67k ) Number of downloads: 12

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Suggestions and Requests · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Automatic email notifications
1 Nuno Brito 283 21st May 2007 - 07:41 AM
Last post by: blackmirror
No New Posts Automatically get first drive letter
1 Nuno Brito 401 11th May 2007 - 02:54 PM
Last post by: Olof Lagerkvist

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2007 - 04:42 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it