booty#1
post Aug 27 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 4,830

Germany

QUOTE(Nuno Brito @ Aug 27 2007, 02:51 PM) *
Can you load registry hives under user permissions? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

That is a good argument - the answer is no.

It is possible to bypass all security permissions on registry keys when you read them in raw mode - and I guess this is possible even under the guest account.

But not from within a running Windows.

btw: noticed your latest scripts - excellent work! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Thanks - they can only be good because WinBuilder allows them to be good (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

booty#1

EDIT by jaclaz:
This thread was splitted from here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=2940&hl=
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smiley
post Aug 27 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 149

Greece

Can you load registry hives under user permissions? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Well, the ansuer is yes!
When microsoft introduced UAC, they added a new api call named RegLoadAppKey which can load a key in the registry with UAC enabled. See here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724886.aspx
Warning: this function exists only in vista

I suggest you, to make winbuilder use RegLoadKey and if it is run under vista it should use RegLoadAppKey.

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Aug 27 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1

Portugal

QUOTE(smiley @ Aug 27 2007, 01:50 PM) *
I agree with booty#1 that winbuilder's operations should be able to work with user privileges whenever posiible.
Well, the ansuer is yes!
When microsoft introduced UAC, they added a new api call named RegLoadAppKey which can load a key in the registry with UAC enabled. See here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724886.aspx
Warning: this function exists only in vista

I suggest you, to make winbuilder use RegLoadKey and if it is run under vista it should use RegLoadAppKey.

Thank you - this is something new and I'll look into it as soon as I get back home.

Will it load our traditional setupreg.hiv files? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

--------------------------

The registry hives are loaded to a specific kernel memory area - I'm not sure how restricted is the access to this specific memory section but I remember reading some notes from russinovich where he mentions some of his tests.

It seems that hive files are loaded to memory and written back every 2 seconds whenever some of his hive sectors are marked as "dirty".

These details are better provided on a systernals guide. You can find the link on the raw registry discussion topic at the windows sub-forum here on boot-land.

So, from this idea, you can *likely* scan the memory area to find where the registry is placed and from this location read the needed key values.

Since we're just reading data it should be a quite safe process but I can only confirm this method in action once I get back to work and have some time to test it properly.

------------------------------------------------

btw: Are we really going to have a wb that doesn't work on sundays? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

How about limiting the daily use of each project to around 10 minutes per day? (my wife would surely like this one.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
smiley
post Aug 27 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Greece

@Nuno:

Nuno, RegLoadAppKey works *almost* in the same way as RegLoadKey (the only difference is that RegLoadAppKey returns a root key handle, whereas RegLoadKey lets you mount the hive under an existing root key)
You don't need to try to write in kernel memory. Usual registry operations will work.

+Quote Post
smiley
post Aug 29 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Greece

Bump!

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Suggestions and Requests · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts WinBuilder Caption
3 psc 81 10th October 2007 - 11:20 AM
Last post by: Nuno Brito
No New Posts Winbuilder Licensing
8 rt10k 245 4th October 2007 - 07:50 AM
Last post by: Alexei
No New Posts Winbuilder and user account restrictions
13 psc 629 29th August 2007 - 05:11 PM
Last post by: smiley
No New Posts Problems to get VistaPE working :-(
5 Surfy 459 29th July 2007 - 02:50 PM
Last post by: Surfy
No New Posts WINBUILDER
WINBUILDER
1 LAURELADA 993 27th July 2007 - 11:26 PM
Last post by: Giloz

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th October 2007 - 02:48 PM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it