Digg this topic Add to my del.icio.us Submit to SlashDot  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to "extricate" XP from partition with 2 OSs, 2 XP installs not working; 2K is OK
ayjayar
post Aug 9 2007, 07:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019

United States

I did something really stupid and donít know how to fix it.

I was dual-booting to Win2K-SP4 and XP-SP2. Win 2K on C:\ and XP on F:\

XP started giving me some strange errors and I was spending a lot of time figuring out which program corrupted some of the .dll and/or system files. I tried to do a an XP fresh install after deleting the active partition and reformatting it (NTFS), but during the install I started getting errors indicating that some files could not be found (on the original WinXP CD!). When I tried to boot up to XP, after the error-filled install, I got a BSOD. So, I thought maybe the CD-ROM drive was not reading things properly; I copied all the files on the XP CD to a temporary folder on C: and tried to install from there. Somewhere I didnít pay attention and the install went to the same partition that already contained 2K. Now when the multi-boot screen comes up I have 2 XP installs and one 2K. Neither of the XPs is working.

My questions:

1. How can I ďextractĒ the XP from the C:\ drive, without killing the 2K (the only OS thatís working right now)?
2. How can I do away with BOTH XP installs appearing on the multi-boot page and do a fresh XP install on the F:\ drive?
3. How do I do an XP install from a hard-drive? Say, I put all the i386 folder contents on F:\ and want to install XP to F:\.

Right now I am reformatting drive F:\ to FAT32 so that can attempt to use Ed Jablonowskiís DOS boot-up diskettes I got from BootDisk.Com.

I sure would appreciate some help.

ayjayar
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheHive
post Aug 9 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 5

I think you have fudged your working Windows 2000 install when installing Windows XP onto the same partition. I havent heard of a way to extract XP install from an already installed Win 2000.

+Quote Post
MedEvil
post Aug 9 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,192

ayjayar, things maybe not as bad as they seem if and that's a big if, you didn't install 2k and XP into the same folder.
Did you?

If not:
- make a backup of you c: partition, just to be safe.
- delete the folders in root that XP installed (read that not also belong to 2k!)
- delete all XP files in root, if you don't know which those are, delete all
- make a repair install of 2k to C:

If you did however not cleanly seperated 2k and XP in the first place.
Meaning you just installed 2k to C: and then without taking any clever precautions installed XP to F:, then:
- just delete the folders in root that XP installed (read that not also belong to 2k!)
- later you can also try to get rid of what XP installed into your 2k program_files folder, but backup before you attemp this.

(IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

PS to delete entries from the boot selection just delete the appropriate lines from boot.ini

+Quote Post
yahoouk
post Aug 9 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,115

ayjayar,

I was dual-booting to Win2K-SP4 and XP-SP2. Win 2K on C:\ and XP on F:\

According to your post, two OSs are separated in C and F drive.
So, there is nothing error found in it, because you installed Win 2k on drive C: first, and secondly you installed XP on drive F:.

Even you installed XP first, you can modify only in boot.ini file, and you donít need to configure any other files.

I am not clear you have 2 physical HDDs or not. If the answer is yes, Iíll ask you how to configure your 2 HDDs and CD rom in your motherboard.
Some motherboards have a problem with controller configuration as my experience.
OR
Do you try your CD Rom is still ok? I mean working properly with other CDs, and booting option as well. Sometimes CD Rom is dead or sticky.

And have you checked with Virus/Spyware checkers?

If your CD Rom is alright, the best thing is backup all your valuable data from both drives and format all and start in a clean installation. This process will be quicker and fresher your mind.

yahooUK

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Boot Methods and various OS support · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Members Who Viewed Topic Today ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd March 2008 - 08:22 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it