Digg this topic Add to my del.icio.us Submit to SlashDot 2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [project] Testing WinBuilder, Strictly designated to upcoming testing project.
Alexei
post Sep 2 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 283

Of course, as any software, WinBuilder is not free from flaws.

I created "Testing WinBuilder" project strictly designated to testing and exploring WinBuilder functionality.
It's not uploaded yet,
though it's attched to this post.

I hope, eventually it would become a good reference to how things actually work. In addition it would allow Nuno to define, which features are "by design" and which are bugs.

This project builds nothing, but each its script demonstrates some bug or feature of the WinBuilder.
Currently subfolders: Test, Bugs, Features.
Initially script has to be placed to the "Test" folder, unless it's obvious bug.
Then Nuno would move it to Bugs or Features on his solid discretion.
Though moving script to different folder may interfere with updating.

I want "Testing WinBuilder" to be shared public project.
That means it should be incorporated into WinBuilder (like Archive project) and developers be able to upload scripts into it.

I discussed my idea with Nuno. He replied:
QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Sep 1 2006, 06:32 AM) *
That seems a very good idea!

I'll be happy to contribute with feedback on what is possible or not - this might also be a good way to do some heavy testing on some features wich are somewhat hidden, and remove/add/fix commands as necessary..

Do post a new thread! (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Attached zip includes Testing project in stripped WinBuilder tree (just my additions/changes) to give you an idea of directory structure I use. In addition it includes PEnetCfg.script (under \Archive\PEnetCfg\). This script uploads PEnetCfg and BartPE, extracts necessary files, and places them to System32. It's supposed to be used in conjunction with other networking plugins that provide necessary files and settings (incomplete and not included). The main reason I included PEnetCfg is to show I'm not just looking for bugs (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  WINbuilder.zip ( 54.83K ) Number of downloads: 46

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smiley
post Sep 2 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 149

Greece

Hi ___,

I like the bugs that you have found but the TestWinBuild project is difficult to use and doen't discribe the bug very well. I think that if you find some bugs , you should post it here

Smiley

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Sep 2 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1

Portugal

This project could be an excellent reference to be used as a tutorial for testing and using interface components or script commands.

Nice going!! (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
Alexei
post Sep 3 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (smiley @ Sep 2 2006, 06:12 AM) *
Hi ___,

I like the bugs that you have found but the TestWinBuild project is difficult to use and doen't discribe the bug very well. I think that if you find some bugs , you should post it here
Smiley

Hi smiley,

I wanted just demonstrate the bugs. I did my job if you could reproduce them (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I agree that it's simpler to post bugs to the forum, but...
1. In some cases only Nuno can determine if it's bug or feature because we don't have (and might never have) very detailed specifications of everything.
2. Where to collect all testing scripts? How to test each new version of WinBuilder against old bugs (they may return)? How to be sure that tricky features work exactly the same way?

Though, on second thought, it may be better to do initial postings to the thread, so Nuno could classify them and include into Testing project if necessary. I believe, Nuno and script developers should come to consensus on that.

Testing project is the repository for bugs, tricky features, workarounds, etc.
I'd be glad to hear from you and others how to make it better.

You probably noticed on this and other forums a lot of questions are answered with links to other threads. In fact, that's happening because answers/samples/solutions/issues are not collected anywhere. Keeping stuff well/somehow organized on regular basis is boring and takes time, but eventually it pays back. I'm just trying to introduce some order because I don't want this project turn into a mess as it happened with plugins for Bart PE. WinBuilder scripts are much more flexible. They need to be more organized.

___ (Alexei)

+Quote Post
Martin 'drau...
post Sep 3 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Nice initiative, alexei!

But the 'hangup' script demonstration is not, as far as i can tell, a bug.

You see, the 'ShellExecute' command starts a process (with optional parameters), and waits for it to terminate. since you just opened an empty command prompt, WinBuilder waits forever. WinBuilder APPEARS to hang though, since the windows is started hidden.

Try manually killing the created cmd.exe. that sould wake winbuilder back up (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

//martin

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Sep 3 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE (___)
In fact, that's happening because answers/samples/solutions/issues are not collected anywhere. Keeping stuff well/somehow organized on regular basis is boring and takes time, but eventually it pays back. I'm just trying to introduce some order because I don't want this project turn into a mess as it happened with plugins for Bart PE.

(IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)
Agreed 100%

The only thing is that we need to find the proper way/program/whatever to organize data and retrieve them.

As already said I haven't the faintest idea on how to do it.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Martin 'drau...
post Sep 3 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Sep 3 2006, 12:46 PM) *
The only thing is that we need to find the proper way/program/whatever to organize data and retrieve them.

As already said I haven't the faintest idea on how to do it.

jaclaz

If Yorn's PHP-based .script/project repository ever becomes a reality, it sems like a pretty good candidate...

+Quote Post
TheHive
post Sep 3 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (___ @ Sep 3 2006, 04:26 AM) *
I'm just trying to introduce some order because I don't want this project turn into a mess as it happened with plugins for Bart PE. WinBuilder scripts are much more flexible. They need to be more organized.

___ (Alexei)

I agree with that. Having a easy way to oraganize the Scripts early on is best. Otherwise it will be a headache in the future.

Follow the link to post your thoughts about how to solve this early on.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=250

+Quote Post
nick20040313
post Sep 4 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 313

Hy all, Thx for great work to shrink winPE.
My observation about compressinf booting files with MAKECAB from Xp: if U read the docs, or view it with hex editor, U will discover the parameters like "CompressionType=LHZ, better than MZIP.. so the *.sy_ will become smaller.

+Quote Post
Alexei
post Sep 4 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Martin 'draugen' Anderse @ Sep 3 2006, 03:40 AM) *
Nice initiative, alexei!

But the 'hangup' script demonstration is not, as far as i can tell, a bug.

You see, the 'ShellExecute' command starts a process (with optional parameters), and waits for it to terminate. since you just opened an empty command prompt, WinBuilder waits forever. WinBuilder APPEARS to hang though, since the windows is started hidden.

Try manually killing the created cmd.exe. that sould wake winbuilder back up (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

//martin

I diasagree. As WinBuilder supports creation of process it has to terminate it when "Stop" pressed.
In another words, "Stop" button doesn't work when script hangs up. If compiler/debugger/IDE/OS hangs up on program(script) that has a bug we don't consider it OK (IMG:http://www.boot-land.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Alexei

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Projects · Next Newest »

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Members Who Viewed Topic Today ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th October 2007 - 11:11 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it