Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topic
 The 8 Colors of LiveXP???
post Jun 7 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #1
Squid
Member   **
Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

United States

Hello folks!

Great implementation of XP for the USB crowd!

Got a question . . .

How can we set up Thuun's latest stable LiveXP release:

http://thuun.boot-land.net/pub/wb-scripts/...3b9b-livexp.zip

to squeeze out a bit more color depth (say 256 colors) in the final build???

8 is definitely "not enough" for my purposes ohmy.gif

Also need to toss in a couple of my own apps for the build; and want to launch one or two at boot. How to?

Pease hep the noob . . .

Thanks!

--------------------
Squid doesn't have a personal statement currently.

+Quote Post
post Jun 7 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #2
Nuno Brito
Platinum Member   ******
Group: .script developer

Thank(s): 419

Portugal

Hi Squid!

Coincidence enough that Peter released a script to solve this sort of annoyances using the universal driver from bearwindows - you can try out the nativeEx project (available inside wb's download center) to see how it works.

I haven't yet tested it under liveXP or thunn's nativePE - but it should be compatible with these projects as well.

Look here: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/script-Uni...iver-t2344.html

About your other questions - I recommend using any available script as example to see how things work. We're also discussing a new way of doing the things you've mentioned but it will take some time until it is concluded.

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------

Join us at the Virus removal forums!
+Quote Post
post Jun 7 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #3
Squid
Member   **

United States

Thanks Nuno!

Great project -- I'll follow that link, and grub around some more to try and see how things work . . .

Hope the wife is doing OK; and all's well for you smile.gif

Take care.

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Jun 7 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #4
psc
Guru   ******

Thank(s): 637

Germany

QUOTE (Squid @ Jun 7 2007, 09:00 PM) *
Also need to toss in a couple of my own apps for the build; and want to launch one or two at boot. How to?
Pease hep the noob . . .

As German I'm still a noob in English language, and I do not understand your intention.
Can you try to explain in more simple (and more common) words?
(e.g. I do not know toss)

Peter

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

There are very rarely problems, in most cases there are issues.

There are never stupid questions, there can be only stupid answers.

It does not make much sence to heal the symptoms of an illness. You must heal the illness!
+Quote Post
post Jun 8 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #5
Squid
Member   **

United States

@psc:

Thanks for coming over to view my post! I understand your difficulty with German/English -- my wife speaks both languages (her native language is English); and tells me how different the syntax can be.

My need is:
I need more than 8 screen display colors for my ISO build of Thuun's latest stable LiveXP release (http://thuun.boot-land.net/pub/wb-scripts/WinBldr-53b9b-livexp.zip). 256 colors for screen display would be really good. Nuno said that you just released a script to solve this problem of few screen display colors using the universal driver from bearwindows. How do I solve this problem of few screen display colors myself for my ISO build of LiveXP?

Also, I wanted to know how to add some of my own programs to my ISO build of LiveXP.

And, I wanted to know how I could make a program start with my ISO build when it boots (like HKLM ... Run or a Startup folder shortcut to a program does).

Thank you very much, Peter!

smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Jun 8 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #6
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (Squid @ Jun 8 2007, 03:54 AM) *
I need more than 8 screen display colors for my ISO build of Thuun's latest stable LiveXP release (http://thuun.boot-land.net/pub/wb-scripts/WinBldr-53b9b-livexp.zip). 256 colors for screen display would be really good. Nuno said that you just released a script to solve this problem of few screen display colors using the universal driver from bearwindows. How do I solve this problem of few screen display colors myself for my ISO build of LiveXP?

Download UniversalVideoDriver.Script from the nativeEx server (direct link)
Because NativePE is based on the nativeEx core, it should work there w/o issues.

Also, I wanted to know how to add some of my own programs to my ISO build of LiveXP.

Very different needs:
  • Some programs just have to be copied
  • Some others need registry changes
  • And there is the question of shortcuts ....
Best is to look at the existing scripts and compare with one which is similar to your program.

And, I wanted to know how I could make a program start with my ISO build when it boots (like HKLM ... Run or a Startup folder shortcut to a program does).

There are different possibilities, too.
  • You can use the project's autorun mechanism:
    See ExternalMediaShortcuts.Script
  • You can use a shortcut to the 'autostart' start menu folder:
    See Welcome.script
  • You can use one of the registry run functions:
    See ImDisk.Script
(All 'See' samples in the nativeEx_barebone project)

Peter

--------------------
Build the house starting with the basement rather than with the roof! But always have in mind how the roof should be made!

It does not make much sence to heal the symptoms of an illness. You must heal the illness!
+Quote Post
post Jun 8 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #7
Squid
Member   **

United States

@psc:

Thanks, Peter, for your thorough reply.

I am sure that this'll be a TREMENDOUS help in getting acquainted with the WinBuilder project; and it should help me with my build thumbsup.gif

I'll have many more questions for the community, I'm sure.

O -- one more thing -- I noticed that the LiveXP build is XP Professional. How could this be, considering that the OS CD which I used to build it with is XP Home???

Thanks again, and have a great day!

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Jun 8 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #8
Nuno Brito
Platinum Member   ******

Thank(s): 419

Portugal

QUOTE (Squid @ Jun 8 2007, 05:05 PM) *

O -- one more thing -- I noticed that the LiveXP build is XP Professional. How could this be, considering that the OS CD which I used to build it with is XP Home???

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Don't worry - home and professional versions have their differences but they don't seem very relevant for our projects here - you should however use only sources with SP2 to ensure compatibilty with the source we also use for testing and get more stable results.. smile.gif

--------------------

Join us at the Virus removal forums!
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #9
Squid
Member   **

United States

Thanks again, Nuno.

However, that wasn't quite what I was asking about.

I was wondering why my build of LiveXP booted as XP Professional while my source disk is XP Home???

Are there some files included in the LiveXP set which are taken from a copy of XP Pro???

Have a great day!

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #10
psc
Guru   ******

Germany

QUOTE (Squid @ Jun 9 2007, 09:05 PM) *
Thanks again, Nuno.

However, that wasn't quite what I was asking about.

I was wondering why my build of LiveXP booted as XP Professional while my source disk is XP Home???

Are there some files included in the LiveXP set which are taken from a copy of XP Pro???

Have a great day!

Maybe Nuno did not explain 'strong' enough:

ALL XP versions have the same source. Anywhere there is a (or more) bit(s) telling the final OS to make some differences.

PEs built with WinBuilder do not ask for that bit(s). Therefore they show 'the best' of the source CD.

BTW: As MSDN subscriber I have legal sources of XP workstations an servers. Inspite of that I like to use NTSWITCH to switch on the fly between them, if necessary.
(NTSWITCH just changes some bits ...)

Peter

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum